Richie Crampton / Jonnie Lindberg 57 Wagon just ran 6.98 @ 207! (1 Viewer)

Just Paul

Nitro Member
I don't know how many of you guys have seen the build, but Richie Crampton's 57 wagon was outfitted with an engine from Jonnie Lindberg's TAFC operation, modified with water jackets for Drag Week. To drive it on the street, they take the blower belt off, and they have a throttle body mounted up where the burst panel would normally go. 1st full pass went 7.13 @ 203.61, gave it a little tweak and it ran 6.98 @ 207 which is totally bad ass.

I've been watching the live feed on and off since Monday but I missed their passes today. Yes, it IS totally bad ass!

I just watched the replay on Youtube. This link should automatically take you to the 6.98 @ 207 pass:

Enjoy! :)

Of all the innovations in this deal, my favorite "let's get country" feature is:
Vacuum makes the blower rotors turn, so to not chance anything falling into the blower or manifold, Jonny used a breaker bar plugged into the top pulley, then folded it over onto the starter bracket/belt guard and tie wrapped it on ! Perfect !!

is it that they would turn (I know it takes 800hp to turn a Nitro blower) under vacuum or did they crank the rotors to a place where there is maximum clearance for air to flow and then lock it down?

Jay, what did you think about Santa Pod? I have seen a lot of videos of that track. I know they just put an all concrete surface on the track, after being the quickest & fastest all asphalt track. That track is the Lions of Europe. Been there since, what, mid 1960's? So much history to that track.

This is our third trip over there. Gives us a chance to see a lot of our European and Scandinavian customers in one place. The entire place is great. They really know how to entertain the customer. The whole experience is like a giant entertainment event with a drag race happening in the middle. Santa Pod has a full carnival midway, a monster truck arena, stunt show arena, etc. Everything happening at once. Food? Hands down the best food I have ever had at a race track. Large screen monitors in the pits so you can walk around and still follow the action. Can't wait to go back.

That is way cool! It kind of begs the question though, why can't the Pro Stockers run true stock size and shape bodies? They say they need all the aero at the speeds they run, but a shoebox just ran 207..... Any modern car is going to be way more aerodynamic than that right off the showroom floor. Just sayin' :p

is it that they would turn (I know it takes 800hp to turn a Nitro blower) under vacuum or did they crank the rotors to a place where there is maximum clearance for air to flow and then lock it down?

I think what Paul said explains it: "To drive it on the street, they take the blower belt off, and they have a throttle body mounted up where the burst panel would normally go. " They're not pulling air through the blower for street driving, it comes in through the throttle body directly into the intake manifold and underneath the blower. With the teflon seals they run on the rotors not much air could get through no matter where they are positioned.

I think what Paul said explains it: "To drive it on the street, they take the blower belt off, and they have a throttle body mounted up where the burst panel would normally go. " They're not pulling air through the blower for street driving, it comes in through the throttle body directly into the intake manifold and underneath the blower. With the teflon seals they run on the rotors not much air could get through no matter where they are positioned.
Maybe they got the idea from the original Mad Max movie....The Road Warrior.

It's not a roots, it's a PSI Screw, doesn't take much to turn and certainly could be turned by manifold vacuum. The blower stays in place, just lock the rotors, add the throttle body where the burst panel is and take the belt off. Then the electronic fuel injection delivers the gas, and the throttle body lets in the air. Simple, and Genius all at the same time.

Alan

If you look closely at the front of the blower in street trim, there's a socket and breaker bar zip tied in place to keep the rotors from turning.
doom.PNG

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back