Rev Limiter Help Please (1 Viewer)

The rev limiter portion of the timing box activates at around 2.5 seconds into the run. They were changed twice towards the end of last season and again right before the start of this season. The competitors that use the system have gotten the spec sheets of where they are set and when they activate.

Today's tune up is 8300 to 8500 rpm at the hit, pull the motor down to 7800 when the clutch locks up and right on back to just below the rev limiter. They have 52 lbs of boost at the hit and 60 in the lights. If a cylinder goes out the boost goes up approx 5 lbs per cylinder, i.e. 65 lbs w/1 out, 70 lbs w/2 out, etc. The key is to know when you are going to hit the magic rev limiter setting and have the fuel system adjust as quickly as the timing is being retarded. The units retard the timing in a set pattern so this can be calculated. Most times a dropped cylinder is from a lack of load for the amount of fuel (rich condition) but can also be caused by a lean condition. When a cylinder drops all other cylinders go leaner (extra boost) which will cause others to drop. There have been 3.80s ran with the rods in the pan at 800+ feet because of dropped cylinders and extra boost.

To accomplish all this, an accurate clutch curve has to be established. The teams use traction control devises in testing to see where their limits are and to come up with these clutch curves. Sometimes the teams forget to remove them after testing, but that is for another thread.

The bigger valve heads are helping the teams create higher speeds at the 1/8th mile where the 1.000' speeds actually come from. The cars only take about .8 of a second to go from the 660' to 1000' marks and the speed gained in that time is limited. And the faster they are going by the 1/8th mile the less time it takes to travel that distance which gives less time to accelerate for more speed.

One of the biggest races at an event is to the tire trailer to select the biggest tires available. They are sold on a first come basis at each event. Initially big tires ran at low pressures will stretch the most and give the fastest speeds at the top end. But they are the most likely to shake at the 60' to 100' mark. Used tires will be 3" to 5" bigger circumference than they were when new.

Unseen development is rampant in the nitro categories, and the more rules the more development that is needed giving the bigger teams more of an advantage.

I hope this gave some understanding of what is taking place and answered a few questions.

Last edited:
The teams use traction control devises in testing to see where their limits are and to come up with these clutch curves. Sometimes the teams forget to remove them after testing, but that is for another thread.
I hope this gave some understanding of what is taking place and answered a few questions.

Thanks Virgil for the great explanation and for the best laugh I've had all week!

:D :p :D

Thanx for the post Virgil. It is nice to hear from someone "in the know" about matters on here, and hopefully no one blasts you for not knowing what you are talking about.

Thanx for the post Virgil. It is nice to hear from someone "in the know" about matters on here, and hopefully no one blasts you for not knowing what you are talking about.
Don't sell yourself short, I always enjoy reading your posts too since you're one of those "in-the-know."

Something I never gave a thought to, but it makes sense. Another variable CC's have to keep up with.

If you deflate a set of tires after they are run and leave them like that, they will shrink back to the original size, sometimes even smaller. We try to keep three sets of tires, one small, one mid-range, and one large.

If you deflate a set of tires after they are run and leave them like that, they will shrink back to the original size, sometimes even smaller. We try to keep three sets of tires, one small, one mid-range, and one large.

That is true Mike, but what happens to that tire on the next burn out? Just like a balloon, it is difficult to blow up the first time, let the air out and it gets easier to blow up, and each time after that it gets easier yet. Same with tires.

Ever consider what the length of the burnout does to the tire pressure? One of the reasons consistent drivers have more consistent race cars.

There are dozens of little things like these that the CCs have to keep track of along with the track surface and RA to tune a car for performance and consistency.

That is true Mike, but what happens to that tire on the next burn out? Just like a balloon, it is difficult to blow up the first time, let the air out and it gets easier to blow up, and each time after that it gets easier yet. Same with tires.

Ever consider what the length of the burnout does to the tire pressure? One of the reasons consistent drivers have more consistent race cars.

There are dozens of little things like these that the CCs have to keep track of along with the track surface and RA to tune a car for performance and consistency.

We see the same growth from a used tire as we do with a new tire.

When I was involved with the Pro Stock cars we used to shrink the tires. They would grow some during the race, but when we got back to Houston back in the shrinker they would go.

Alan

Paul,

The problem would occur when it comes back on.

Alan

Because Nitromethane carries it's own oxygen, there is a condition that occurs known by the slang term of "hydraulic" ...
That is actually incorrect in the true sense of a "hydraulic" in a non Nitro burning engine...
The term Chemical Engineers use is "to compression fire" - that is what pushes head gaskets out, and sometimes the connecting rods... And blew-up the railroad cars in the '50s...
When the liquid of a dropped cylinder is exposed to the rising pressure of the cylinder trying to re-light, an uncontrolled explosion can take place...
The same condition is sometimes created when a driver pedals the car down track, and it knocks the blower off...

I have always wondered if any of today's Motors would last even one pass with Hydrazine mixed in the fuel like they did in the 60's? I can only imagine anyone crazy enough to try it would take as much power out of the motor just in case...

.....one pass with Hydrazine mixed in the fuel like they did in the 60's.....
The billet stuff is considerably stronger than the cast iron we ran in the '60s with "H" ,but they run much more cylinder pressure now too...
So if you dropped the compression back down to say 5.9 with maybe 33 over on the blower I would like to try it again - with some rich guy's parts ...
Of course we used 3 gallon fuel tanks back then - now with the big tanks on today's cars it might really make a big fireball in the shut down area...
I'd like to see Alan's interview with the smoking fuel getting drained on the ground next to him... :D
"Say Greek is your tank leaking? - best step over here Alan"...:eek:

The billet stuff is considerably stronger than the cast iron we ran in the '60s with "H" ,but they run much more cylinder pressure now too...
So if you dropped the compression back down to say 5.9 with maybe 33 over on the blower I would like to try it again - with some rich guy's parts ...
Of course we used 3 gallon fuel tanks back then - now with the big tanks on today's cars it might really make a big fireball in the shut down area...
I'd like to see Alan's interview with the smoking fuel getting drained on the ground next to him... :D
"Say Greek is your tank leaking? - best step over here Alan"...:eek:

So was Hydrazine just an oxygen enhancer???

.....Hydrazine just an oxygen enhancer....
No , in Nitro it sensitizes to make the fuel burn more rapidly - it can be used as a fuel by itself ...
When mixed with Nitro the product becomes much more sensitive to shock ignition, a few cars had the fuel tanks explode while bouncing down the shut down area of a rough surface...
That's why the yellow dye is added to racing Nitro, the fuel will turn blue if sensitized...
The guys using it would drain the tanks in the grass at the turn out after a run, it was added to the tank just before we push started, normally around four ounces to three gallons ...
The Greek had the most experience that I knew about back in the early '60s ...

I've been asking and talking about rev limiters for awhile now and this is the first thread that pointed out that it's not a rev limiter, but a timing retardation that slows them down at the top end.

Excellent thread, thanks!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back