Remembering Bert Jackson (1 Viewer)

O’FALLON, MO (September 16, 2011) – Cale Aronson was thankful for one last moment with Bert Jackson last Friday at Rockingham Dragway.

Aronson shared a conversation with Jackson in the staging lanes, just minutes before the fatal accident that claimed Jackson’s life.

Their conversation wasn’t anything remarkable, just the normal ribbing and joking Aronson came to expect of a man he admired a great deal.

It’s the final memory Aronson will have of the 51-year-old Glen Allen, Va. native, but one that is consistent with the type of person Aronson excitedly grew to know over the past few years.

“I got to cut up with him in the staging lanes right before his last run, and I have never been so glad I talked to someone at one particular time as I am about that,” Aronson said. “He was an honest competitor who was thoughtful, courteous and always going above and beyond what was expected of him.

“Saying he will be missed is not even the beginning of how we all feel. He was willing to sacrifice so much to be there. He was beloved by all in the pits and nobody ever said an ill word of Bert Jackson, because he was nothing but pure gold.”

Jackson truly left an indelible impression on everyone in the American Drag Racing League (ADRL), but especially so in the incredibly close Extreme Pro Stock class.

His good nature, talents as a driver, and dedication to his family was noticeable to anyone who came into contact with Jackson.

His character was undeniable to anyone who got to know him, which simply made what happened last Friday all that much harder to swallow.

During the third qualifying session at Dragstock VIII, Jackson lost control of the car, resulting in a high-speed fatal crash.

It instantly left everyone in the ADRL shocked and saddened after the sudden loss of a man who meant so much to so many.

“Bert was a great guy. What I always liked about him is when you buckled in to run him, whether he won or lost, he was always the same person,” XPS driver Brian Gahm said. “He was the same guy all the time. He always had a smile on his face and he was a first-class guy.

“This just leaves you with a big hole in your heart.”

Gahm wasn’t the only one who was left permanently impressed with Jackson’s unwavering and uplifting personality.

When asked to talk about what they remembered most about Jackson, a man of deep faith and strong family values, others in the XPS class shared similar sentiments.

“Out of all the racers I’ve ever known and watched lose, some might get quiet and some may go so far as to throw their helmets, but Bert was the only one I knew to smile every time, win, lose or draw,” XPS driver John Montecalvo said.

“I beat him at Virginia on my way to the finals and the media wanted me for an interview after our run. I looked over and Bert was rolling up my parachutes for me, waving me to go on over to the interview. He was just that kind of guy.

“I always enjoy seeing all of our competitors at the events, but especially Bert. He will be terribly missed. But there’s no doubt that Bert Jackson was a winner in more ways than we realize. He will be long remembered in drag racing."

That character and demeanor will keep his memory alive forever.

His laugh and his personality had a unique way of drawing people in, which helped form incredible friendships within the class.

In turn, everyone within the class became his fans, creating a memorable scene during Jackson’s runs and his successes.

“Bert was always the same person, smiling and happy to be racing at the track and with his friends,” Aronson said. “He started really running well last season, and everyone in our class was very glad to see that and enjoyed his success with him.”

As a driver, Jackson was an outstanding talent.

He drove a striking purple 2007 GTO owned by Enoch Love, who shares with Jackson the strong family values that made the team so admirable.

Jackson and Love were committed to an entire ADRL season in 2011 and were sixth in points before the tragic accident.

Jackson had plenty of success before 2011 as well, advancing to the 2006 IHRA Spring Nationals in Rockingham.

In the ADRL, Jackson was having his finest season to date in 2011.
He was a consistent competitor and advanced to two semifinals, including one at his hometown track, Virginia Motorsports Park.

At the Speedtech U.S. Drags IV in August, Jackson was beaming all weekend, enjoying his run as the crowd favorite in a memory the entire team will surely hold close to them.

Earlier in 2011, Jackson showed his driving prowess at the Spring Drags in April at Palm Beach International Raceway.

He knocked off current points leader Cary Goforth in the quarterfinals, a rarity in a class where Goforth has been so strong on the starting line.

Even in defeat, it’s a memory that Goforth will always remember.

“He got the last laugh here, but I will get him back when I see him again,” Goforth said.

Goforth continued, marveling about a man he said he was privileged to know.
“Bert was a unique guy; a wonderful human being who made anyone he was close to a better person by being their friend,” Goforth said.

XPS driver Trevor Eman was in the opposite lane during Jackson’s fateful crash.

Like so many others, he was deeply saddened by the turn of events.

“This turned the entire Extreme Pro Stock class upside down as I’m sure it did for all of the ADRL,” Eman said. “We are all deeply saddened by this loss. He was a great competitor and friend, always smiling, always a wonderful person to be around. "

“He will be missed. Bert may not line up beside me again, but there’s no doubt that he’ll be with all of us every time we race.”

The following morning after Jackson’s passing, the ADRL held a touching memorial service that honored a man respected by everyone.

Moments after the service was completed in front of a huge gathering of friends, family, drivers and others, the XPS class held their own special dedication for Jackson.

With Eman leading the way, the entire XPS class staged a “missing man” formation with a towed procession down the track.

The moving and emotional tribute struck a chord in everyone who saw it, all because of the type of person Jackson was.

“It just doesn’t seem real. I can still see his trailer 20 feet from ours and it seems like he should walk around the corner,” Montecalvo said. “There wasn’t a dry eye here all weekend. Bert was a guy that everyone wanted to have around. With him, family was first and racing was second. That was his passion.”

It was a passion he carried out exceptionally well, creating a legacy that will always be remembered.

His passion behind the wheel earned him respect as a driver, while his kind-hearted and compassionate nature made him special as a friend, father and husband.

The memories of him will always live on.

“We will never, ever forget him, I can promise you that,” Gahm said.

Attachments

• Bert_Jackson.jpg
    Bert_Jackson.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 28
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back