Rear wing (1 Viewer)

Medic11301

Nitro Member
Tony just said the rear wing generates 6,000 horsepower...I’m impressed with the crew chief that figured out how to do that!! ;)

Maybe it is because I just don’t like Tony P., but I enjoy picking out his mistakes. I know, I know, he’s on tv and I’m sitting on my couch watching, but....

Anybody remember when T/F cars had a sticker on the wing that said "Race cars don't have doors"? Of course that started a counter sticker Race cars Do have doors". Heh

Give me a minute i'm working on the formula to figure out how the size of the wing equates to horse power.

Give me a minute i'm working on the formula to figure out how the size of the wing equates to horse power.

easy..... the bigger the wing, the more horsepower......I guess

pegasus-00.jpg

I believe he meant 6,000 lbs of down force , that what the wing is there for. I am sure somewhere there are videos of what happens dragster if wing breaks.

I have seen footage when the wing breaks. Usually the back end of the car goes up in the air & the car is out of control, will crash. In years past, the front wing has broken and causes lift. Re: Eddie Hill at Pomona, when the car did a blow over, caused by the front wing. It really is amazing how much down force both wings provide. The front wings on T/F now are as big as the rear wings used to be years ago.

To keep these rear wheels in contact with the race surface aerodynamic surfaces are used. There are two wings, the front and rear, on a top-fuel dragster car, which help the performance in different ways. The primary purpose of the front wing is to keep the vehicle from pitching up in the front and flipping over. Since the rear wing is mounted as far aft as possible, there is a tendency for the front wheels to be lifted off of the track. The counteracting balance comes from the negative lift produced by the front wing. The required down force of the front wing is enough to keep the overall vehicle from flipping over and provide enough pressure to the front wheels so that the driver has control over the steering.

To keep these rear wheels in contact with the race surface aerodynamic surfaces are used. There are two wings, the front and rear, on a top-fuel dragster car, which help the performance in different ways. The primary purpose of the front wing is to keep the vehicle from pitching up in the front and flipping over. Since the rear wing is mounted as far aft as possible, there is a tendency for the front wheels to be lifted off of the track. The counteracting balance comes from the negative lift produced by the front wing. The required down force of the front wing is enough to keep the overall vehicle from flipping over and provide enough pressure to the front wheels so that the driver has control over the steering.
And all this contributes to chassis arch in a Dragster that you can almost walk under it, lol.

It is a delicate balance between front & rear wings. I watch nostalgia AA/FD and wonder how they get down the track with those canards & no rear wing. The High Speed car, Mendy Fry, just went 5.49 and that is amazing to me with tiny slicks & canards.

I have seen footage when the wing breaks. Usually the back end of the car goes up in the air & the car is out of control, will crash. In years past, the front wing has broken and causes lift. Re: Eddie Hill at Pomona, when the car did a blow over, caused by the front wing. It really is amazing how much down force both wings provide. The front wings on T/F now are as big as the rear wings used to be years ago.

Broken wing cause the accident that killed Jimmy Nix at Dallas.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back