Q about starting an A/Fuel car (1 Viewer)

flapjack

Staff member
Nitro Member
I've never seen an A/Fuel car being lit up. Anyone know how they go about it? Gasoline down the injector hat and the starter motor off the crank snout?

You have the first part right, but all A Fuel Cars have an aux tank that is removable that has alcohol in it for the inital fire up. A Fuel engines have a much higher compression ratio than a top fuel engine so it makes it very dangerous to start it with nitro only. Once the engine is fired on alky and has warmed up to what the crew chief feels is good then the signal is given to the driver to turn the fuel pump on. Once the engine is running soundly on nitro then the alky tank is turned off and removed. Hope this helps!!

You have the first part right, but all A Fuel Cars have an aux tank that is removable that has alcohol in it for the inital fire up. A Fuel engines have a much higher compression ratio than a top fuel engine so it makes it very dangerous to start it with nitro only. Once the engine is fired on alky and has warmed up to what the crew chief feels is good then the signal is given to the driver to turn the fuel pump on. Once the engine is running soundly on nitro then the alky tank is turned off and removed. Hope this helps!!

Thanks Ralph. I take it the danger in going straight from gas to nitro when running high compression is hydraulicing the engine. Correct?

I just wish those guys didn't make a career starting those things! I timed a couple of pairs from the time they fired to the time they staged, 2:30 give or take 10-15 secs! The Blown cars are about a minute less!

Randy Fish wrote an interesting article with Jerry D on how to start an A/Fuel Car...can't find it on the net, but it was a good read.

Oh and yes Tom... SEVERAL A/Fuel Dragsters have had boomers from initial start up in the past. Procedures are much better now.

As we all know Nitro can be a bad thing!! It loves to explode when compressed!! Have you ever noticed even the pro teams always tighten the head studs with a speed wrench by hand? From what I have been told the nitro follows the threads with the oil. and if you use a impact to tighten the stud it can compress it enough to explode. A big rule of thumb with the A Fuel engines is to clean all the nitro out of the engine fuel lines and cylinders before you work on it. You do not even crank it over with a wrench with the plugs in if it has been ran on nitro.

A/Fuel cars often don't fire the first time, if I am nearby I ALWAYS make sure a crew guy is backing it down before they try to refire the thing ... if not I head for the hills. I know they are usually starting the thing on gas or alkyhol, but just in case I don't have my ninja underwear on so I can dodge all of the shrapnel, I get out of the way.

Just 3 or 4 years ago at a D1 race, a crew guy nearly lost his leg from the knee down and the trailer pitted next door got a hole blasted into it on such an occasion.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back