Pro Stock part 5000..... (1 Viewer)

Cliff

Nitro Member
I read on Comp Plus that maybe, just maybe, NHRA would reverse the rule that sez you gotta run the same engine as the body. So.... Chevy powered Fords & Mopars?

Can't call it Pro Doorslammer, cuz that'a a class in Australia. Wait, let's make a deal.....

I cant see how allowing any engine under the hood would get fans to start watching. I doubt the average fan could tell the difference anyways. It would make the Mopars competitive again if they ran bowties so there is a plus side.

Would having NHRA remove the part number requirement for heads and blocks for Pro Stock help or hurt the class?

Stan

I saw the very first PS runs at the Winters looooooooooooooooooooooong ago and I was hooked and in the boat instanty!
Just try to unhook me now. :)

final nail in the coffin, it will just be a spec class, either KB or Gray power
woooohooooo
no respectable Mopar racer is going to put a Chevy power plant in one. Ford, almost everyone has been converted to an LS already.

woooohooooo
no respectable Mopar racer is going to put a Chevy power plant in one. Ford, almost everyone has been converted to an LS already.

Why not Mopar might actually be competitive again.

Can't call it Pro Doorslammer, cuz that'a a class in Australia. Wait, let's make a deal.....

So whats stopping them? There's more than one series running pro modified class. Hell, NMCA had a pro stock class, also. So why is top doorslammers any different? What makes it unusable? <shrug>

Try not to be so close-minded, yall. Wow. AFAIK, it was some of the teams (or 1 team?) who suggested using a common engine. Being that what they run is nothing close to anything stock, why is it even such an issue? How many parts in those cars are actual Chevy/Ford/Dodge parts? The block and heads because they have the part numbers. That's the only thing "stock" about em. Not sure why it even matters at this point.

If they decide to allow OHC engines, How long would it take the teams to change valve springs in between sessions?

Why not Mopar might actually be competitive again.

Right, but so would lifting the 10,500 RPM rule.

woooohooooo

This is the real issue. Pro Stock was built on the premise of one manufacturer vs. another, and it was never whose body style or nameplate could win - it was about whose powerplant could win. It was Hemi vs. Rat vs. Shotgun..... and Pontiacs, Oldsmobiles, American Motors and more. Had NHRA not let the class get soooo far removed from its roots this "spec motor" conversation would be an object of derision instead of a subject for discussion.

This is why NHRA needs to go back to basics. The factory super stocks of today are REAL Fords & REAL Chevys & REAL Mopars, like they ran in 1970. The rule they just issued has killed the class. Now it's just a slow Pro Mod class. Arghhhh

I don't care what brand you prefer, this is badazz.....and represents the idea of "Pro Stock" much better than the sliced-n-diced carbon fiber bodied cars in PS now.

DSC04220-800.JPG

Attachments

• DSC04220-resize.JPG
    DSC04220-resize.JPG
    125.4 KB · Views: 1
David, these cars are so cool! I heard the supercharged cars come to the line, rump, rump, rump, the sound a blower motor with an auto tranny makes. Thought, wow, this is a great class to watch. And fast! 7 second super stockers.... :)

I don't care what brand you prefer, this is badazz.....and represents the idea of "Pro Stock" much better than the sliced-n-diced carbon fiber bodied cars in PS now.

View attachment 4326

ABSO-FREAKIN-LUTELY!!! If the NHRA had any sense at all, they could see this, and personally, I believe they do. They just don't have the balls to pull the trigger.

I would like this version to be stick cars rather than automatics if they did end up going this route for Pro Stock, but I'll take it either way.

Sean D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back