Pro Mod (1 Viewer)

smokemasterJ

Nitro Member
So this was on Comp plus today:
http://www.competitionplus.com/drag...s-likely-to-get-hit-with-rule-changes-in-2013
So the NHRA picks a spec turbo, but now they're crying foul (citing conflict of interest)? Yes, the turbos might be the top qualifiers, but you don't have to cut a light in qualifying. You can pop and sputter on the line all you want, but that don't cut it on Sunday (or Saturday, whenever E1 ends up). Reminds me of PSM... the Hectors have qualified 1 and 2 on occasion but that doesn't translate to a win on Sunday. By my account the top 5 in Pro-Mod go N, N, T, T, S. I detect a big smelly rat (not you Mr. Keenan!). Harry Hruska's (owner of Precision turbo) comments are great Pro-Mod has always sucked hind teat as far as NHRA is concerned. I think that they are missing a great opportunity to promote an extremely exciting class. Oh, and as an extra-added bonus, if you go to NHRA.com click on results for past races, navigate to Pro-CareRx Pro-Mod, guess what no Pro-Mod results.

Yeah the NHRA couldn't care less about Pro Mod. It's even below Pro Stock and that's bad.

Pro Mod is a class that has a huge following and they're incredibly exciting to watch. Look at an ADRL race, the Shakedown Nationals, or the Street Car Super Nationals. All great races. Fans love doorslammers and the NHRA would gain some fans with promoting them more.

My favs, Top Fuel, Funny Car, Pro Mod, TAD, TAFC, Pro stock racing is great to watch but qualifying is rather boring to me.

I hope the rumors of a big sponsor(s) stepping up is true. Gotta keep the Pro Mod's around!

Yeah the NHRA couldn't care less about Pro Mod. It's even below Pro Stock and that's bad.

Pro Mod is a class that has a huge following and they're incredibly exciting to watch. Look at an ADRL race, the Shakedown Nationals, or the Street Car Super Nationals. All great races. Fans love doorslammers and the NHRA would gain some fans with promoting them more.

Sorry Bernie, but Pro Mod has been spread so thin the last 5 years it isn't anything like it was 10-12 years ago! My first time watching Pro mod was at Indy in 2001, they had Wayne Torkleson's. '56 T-bird, Johnny Rocca's '51 '
Merc, Billy Harper's Viper, class has lost its personality anymore! With the ADRL and the NHRA splitting the Pro Mod pool of Pro mod cars/drivers, it just isn't the same anymore!

Sorry Bernie, but Pro Mod has been spread so thin the last 5 years it isn't anything like it was 10-12 years ago! My first time watching Pro mod was at Indy in 2001, they had Wayne Torkleson's. '56 T-bird, Johnny Rocca's '51 '
Merc, Billy Harper's Viper, class has lost its personality anymore! With the ADRL and the NHRA splitting the Pro Mod pool of Pro mod cars/drivers, it just isn't the same anymore!

The cost of competing in just the last 5 years has gone up astronomically (let alone the last 10 years). I would venture to say that has had more affect on the car counts than having multiple venues to race their machines. Remember, in 2001 they had a healthy program in IHRA and the car counts on both sides were fine.

Merc, Billy Harper's Viper, class has lost its personality anymore!

This.

This is nothing new. Happens with just about all the classes eventually. When things start out, everyone's experimenting, and trying out different things.

When pro-mod started out, the cars weren't nearly as fast as they are now, and aero wasn't important. Yet. That's why you could run things like a '41 Willys, or a '57 Stude, or a '57 Chev body, because you didn't worry much about what shape the body was.

Eventually, racers started figuring out what combos worked best. Speeds started shooting up. Guess what? The old "nostalgia" bodys, while cool, just weren't as fast. Most of the racers started running more modern bodies that offered better aero packages. They also started pushing the envelope with body mods, making them look more and more like funny cars with doors.

They also started to figure out the engine packages, and started refining them to within an inch of their lives. Guess what? The costs started going up as they started refining the engines more and more.

This progression of speed and cost escalations has happened in just about every class extant.

I used to like Super Gas at the beginning because there was always such an eclectic mix of different types of cars. What happened? Read above, repeat as neccessary.

The cost of competing in just the last 5 years has gone up astronomically (let alone the last 10 years). I would venture to say that has had more affect on the car counts than having multiple venues to race their machines. Remember, in 2001 they had a healthy program in IHRA and the car counts on both sides were fine.

Chris, your right about the costs! I talked to a Pro mod tuner who said the cost of going from 6.20's to 5.80-90's forced a lot of cars out! You didn't see this start happening till IHRA started allowing Hemi's in the class!

This X2

One major problem is, especially with the newer body styles, they look like Pro Stocks with blowers. Make 'em run 1957 & older body styles & return to what made them interesting in the first place.

Good post David. Seems every new class has a "shelf life" to a degree. You can't change the animal that racing is. Over time, any class will continually progress to a combination that is the fastest and most efficient way to get down the track. This does 2 things: Continually costs more and more money. And, eliminates variety, as everyone gravitates to the best design/combo. Remember my favorite class of all time, Pro Comp?Started out with crazy variety, BB/FCs, blown gas dragsters (Weiss&Scott), A/Fuelers, B/Fuelers, AA/A, twin engine diggers, etc. And many of the fast cars were steel block, blown Chevies. Within a few short years, the only real way to win consistently was with a blown alky dragster, and you guys know the rest.

This is nothing new. Happens with just about all the classes eventually. When things start out, everyone's experimenting, and trying out different things.

When pro-mod started out, the cars weren't nearly as fast as they are now, and aero wasn't important. Yet. That's why you could run things like a '41 Willys, or a '57 Stude, or a '57 Chev body, because you didn't worry much about what shape the body was.

Eventually, racers started figuring out what combos worked best. Speeds started shooting up. Guess what? The old "nostalgia" bodys, while cool, just weren't as fast. Most of the racers started running more modern bodies that offered better aero packages. They also started pushing the envelope with body mods, making them look more and more like funny cars with doors.

They also started to figure out the engine packages, and started refining them to within an inch of their lives. Guess what? The costs started going up as they started refining the engines more and more.

This progression of speed and cost escalations has happened in just about every class extant.

I used to like Super Gas at the beginning because there was always such an eclectic mix of different types of cars. What happened? Read above, repeat as neccessary.

Maybe that's why all those guys drifted towards the '63 vettes around 98-00, for the Aero advantage! I'm curious if the NHRA gave all Pre 1964 bodies a 100 weight break if it would matter? Wasnt it 1994-95 that IHRA gave the Older bodies a 100 weight break, and overnight everyone had an Old body!

Last edited:
One major problem is, especially with the newer body styles, they look like Pro Stocks with blowers. Make 'em run 1957 & older body styles & return to what made them interesting in the first place.

I agree. The first year I saw Pro Mods I think was 2002 and I fondly recall Mike Ashley's '41 Willys in the Gotham City livery. Still my favorite PM of all.

Hi Joe,

A lot of the legendary personalities/cars aren't racing anymore but there's nothing we can do about that. Time marches on and every driver will step away at one time or another. I don't think we lose the merit of the class when drivers step away.

Sure we don't have Johnny Rocca's Iron Horse Mercury or Scotty Cannon's OnSat Willy's anymore. But we do have cars that were built with the same spirit in mind: continually pushing the envelope of innovation and making the wildest doorslammer's possible. The body styles have changed but that's aesthetic. The rebel spirit of the class is alive and well.

Pro Mod was regional way before it ever went national. It was born in the Southeast and there have always been smaller races that drivers stuck to. Not everyone wants to race nationally and some just can't afford to. This allows those drivers to still play close to home and if they do want to take on the big dogs who race nationally, attend one of the super bowl events like the Shakedown Nationals or Street Car Super Nationals.

Pro Mod is bigger than any one organization.

Joe, not to redirect the thread, but your mention of Scotty Cannon reminded me of when he went to FC, some years ago. Scotty was sponsored by Oakley, and he had shaved his head and was wearing those crazy over-the-head sunglasses. He had his crew outfitted in those long trench coat uniforms, and they would stand in formation after he did his burnout, to direct him back. My first thought was, hey we got some showmanship here! But, alas, the NHRA nixed the whole thing, citing the floppy sleeves and flowing coat tails. My thoughts were... hey it makes for good TV! :cool:

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back