Pro Comp Altered - Chassis Questions (1 Viewer)

I'm looking to build a nostalgia altered to run NPCA and NHRA Heritage/Goodguys races. I'm wanting to build it old school type with a 7.50 spec (10.3) mild steel chassis, and we'll be running an injected alky BBC, a powerglide, and a 9" rear. My question is about suspension. I'd like to keep it as 'period correct' as I can. I'm not sure about front and/or rear suspension. I have a feeling that front leaf spring and rear coilovers will be pretty scary! So, does anyone have ideas on a set-up?

This is what I'm after, but with a updated cage.
justin-calkins-albums-vintage-altereds-picture870-a.jpg

justin-calkins-albums-vintage-altereds-picture872-a.jpg

justin-calkins-albums-vintage-altereds-picture871-a.jpg

Pictures from Awful Awful Fuel Altereds!

Last edited:
I'm planning on running the Heritage series and my chassis is from 80's and is torsion-bar front suspension, solid-mounted rear end.

I wouldn't run the front leaf-spring setup, you want a chassis that is consistent and runs as straight as possible.

Also, I would not go with the mild-steel, if you ever want to step up, you won't be able to.

I wasn't wanting to go any faster with this car, it would be a 'group effort' partnership car. If I did, I'd go with a chrome moly F/C chassis with a Fiat or F/C body and with all my own parts. This would be just a 'play toy' for now. It may never leave the state and only run at the local non-sancationed 1/8 mile track, but I'd like to go out-of-state with it. I thought that a mild steel car would be cheap and easy to build.

I have to agree with what Paul said. The mild steel may be cheaper to build, but there will be very little resale value with it.
I would go with the solid suspension all around. If you want front suspension, the torsion bar is the best way to go, but I would for sure stick with solid in the rear. It's just one less variable to deal with and less parts to give you trouble.
Good Luck.

Wouldn't the rectangle lower frame rail limit me to the 10.3 spec anyway? I haven't looked at the specs for 10.2, but I'm sure that you would have to run an all round tube chassis with that.

Hadn't realized that you were going to use rectangular tubing.

I don't know if you ever built a chassis before, but it takes a lot of time and various skills. Plus, drive-train to rear-end alignment is crucial as is the entire drive-train being square to the chassis or else you will be "drifting" all over the place and have a very inconsistent car so it needs to done on a very accurate chassis jig.

I would recommend buying a used chassis, wish I would have done that myself. You can pick one up at a decent price, just do a lot searching for the chassis history and have checked out by a professional chassis shop.

There is two altereds sitting here in town. Either one os the guys want to sell them, basically because they don't have to. The first one is the car that I ran before. It's a 1982 McKinney rigid funny car chassis.
justin-calkins-albums-vulture-picture860-humbolt-2001-2.jpg

The second is like what I was wanting to build. I've been friends with both guys for years and used to going racing with them when I was younger. They are retirement age, and have the aditude 'It's paid for and I have no need to sell it!'

My dad built an alignment jig for the McKinney chassis years ago. So I probably could copy that car.

Last edited:
I'm planning on running the
Also, I would not go with the mild-steel, if you ever want to step up, you won't be able to.

NHRA's highest class is Nostalgia Eliminator which is a 7.60 index class and I would also run NPCA's Pro Comp 2. The only 'step-up' there would be NPCA's Pro Comp which is a 7.0 index. But I understand what you guys are says. I was just trying to cut a few corners and work with what I have and can easily get my hands on. I do know a few killer TIG welders that could help me out, and a nice TIG at work. Thank you

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back