Paul Pritchett, last known front-engine dragster death 1971 (1 Viewer)

StarLink Now $299

J. S.

Nitro Member
It is my understanding that a driver named Paul Pritchett was the last known driver to be killed in a front engine dragster, at the AHRA Winternationals in AZ in 1971. This was just a few weeks after the tragic death of Pete Robinson in his FED at Pomona, the same year Garlits won at Pomona with his new "front driver" dragster.

Anyone know if this Paul Pritchett is any relation to Gary Pritchett, current Top Fuel crew member, TAD driver (and winner of the recent Divisional race in Norwalk), and husband #2 to Leah Pritchett (now of course Leah Stewart)?

Jon, what do you mean by last known driver?

Hi Mike:

Yes, maybe I could have worded it better, but I meant that I believe Paul Pritchett is considered to be the last driver to have been killed in a front engine dragster. As it turns out, I don't believe he was a well-known driver, but I wasn't implying whether he was well-known or not.

Pritchett isn't a very common last name, so it seems possible that there might be some relation between Paul and Gary. I have been curious about that for awhile.

John Shoemaker was killed at the March Meet in 2008. But after hearing the stories and seeing photos, he had a medical eposode on that last pass. He never lifted.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back