Orlando Speedway Doorslammer Nationals (1 Viewer)

BOO BOO

Nitro Member
Not a big pro stock fan but this was a pretty cool event. Paid $75,000 to the winner... $50,000 to Pro Mod. All the hitters were there. Pro Stock qualified 1-16 but then drew to see who they race in the 1st round. They drew a chip, it said what lane and what order they ran in. Pro Mod ran the regular way. Weather was good , track was very fast. Hats of to those involved.

55F804EE-47F5-41A3-958D-F804EE9BED09.jpeg
5DDE364A-FFC0-40F5-BBA3-8D513A747D03.jpeg
F43BDB1A-7841-46E4-91B5-0A718B82513C.jpeg
814B5C57-2BF3-437B-9171-DDC932EDBB0A.jpeg
7468E694-8B4E-47CF-89F9-1CC9FA0C25DD.jpeg
59ABA423-1AF1-48D4-B119-6ABEB2DF33C3.jpeg
9A734AB1-8FF3-402E-9CA2-8C910BE7BCF3.jpeg
CD620A22-F44F-4397-A9F1-59F4F6B43683.jpeg
6021383F-78C3-4CCA-8207-D7DA686D08B8.jpeg
FE73773C-E4D3-4F6A-9F12-F29F2AB205C1.jpeg
We are on a week vacation down here, and I had the chance to make it out there today. It was a great event!

sooper cool to attend
today. hats off to all who organized. very fast. very great event. crowd a little thin i thought. saw an AAP hauler towing in around mid-day. someone there to test on monday.
a very familiar name. can’t confirm anything.
what i heard though was fairly surprising.
......joe c. on mic calling race. was great as usual......pro charger PM’s were hauling the
mail. impressive debut. .....troy coughlin jr.
looked great in elite ride. vinny nobile also in elite powered car with a supposed run next week up the road; after that?
couple of familiar faces in attendance who were not racing. smaller venue. local feel.
heavy hitters on great track. i loved it.
comgrats to alex laughlin. what a great story.

One of the best drag races I ever been to. I thought the "exhibition" runs for both prostock and modified between rounds was an added plus that made for little or no down time.
Even the local racers put on a good show. Yeah, the crowd wasn't what I expected but that made it easy to get around. I hope they have here again next year.

I was only able to get to the Saturday of the event but I thought it really grew legs atmosphere wise when they ran back to back qualifying sessions in the twilight - Pro Stock, Pro Mod, Pro Stock, Pro Mod. This was something a lot of other events could learn from - run the showcase brackets close together without four or five hours of sportsman racing in between.
Those who stayed after the final session of Pro Mod were also rewarded with seeing the world's first five second pass by a four cylinder, really impressive.
I hope they had enough success to justify running the event again next year and that it becomes a traditional stop before the Gatornationals.
There was certainly no shortage of drag racing events running in Florida - jet cars at Palm Beach, NMRA/NMCA at Bradenton, LODRS at Gainesville and the World Doorslammer Nats in Orlando.

So what was the structure for this race? Did the racers have to pay an entry fee? What did it cost to get in to watch? It sure didn't look like there were tons of fans there. I'm sure there was probably something you could pay for online to watch the event, but that was a whole lotta purse payout for all classes, so I was curious to see how the balance sheet would read.

All that said, I was impressed with the quality of the event. All the hitters seemed to be in the house for every class and the cars were haulin' ass. If they do this again next year, I'm thinkin' I'll be making arrangements to attend.

Sean D

Who ran the 5 second run in a 4 cyl? Dragster or door car? Wow......
The car had Napierville Dragway, which is in Quebec, Canada, on the side of the car, so I'm assuming that's where they were from. Small time operation that made a big time impression.
When I first saw the trailer and tow vehicle, I thought it was a local racer.
I took a peak at the engine and it looked so itty bitty compared to the mountain size motors in other cars.
To answer Sean DeWitt questions, it cost $25.00 to get in and they also had a chip draw to see who would race who. Each driver pulled a chip with a number and a lane on it and raced the driver who drew the corresponding chip. I understand the drivers liked that and it added uncertainty to the race.
As for the attendance, now that I think about it, there was as many people in the pits as in the stands.
The only thing missing was fuel cars. A couple of dragsters or Funny cars would've made it an even better event. What's drag race without the smell of Nitro?

The car had Napierville Dragway, which is in Quebec, Canada, on the side of the car, so I'm assuming that's where they were from. Small time operation that made a big time impression.
When I first saw the trailer and tow vehicle, I thought it was a local racer.
I took a peak at the engine and it looked so itty bitty compared to the mountain size motors in other cars.
To answer Sean DeWitt questions, it cost $25.00 to get in and they also had a chip draw to see who would race who. Each driver pulled a chip with a number and a lane on it and raced the driver who drew the corresponding chip. I understand the drivers liked that and it added uncertainty to the race.
As for the attendance, now that I think about it, there was as many people in the pits as in the stands.
The only thing missing was fuel cars. A couple of dragsters or Funny cars would've made it an even better event. What's drag race without the smell of Nitro?
If it was a Pro Stock type race in the mid-1960's in the southeast, you would have had the small if nitro.............

The event was great with just the doorslammers. I would love to see a similar style race for the Top Fuel or Funny Car teams as a pre-season hit out - it's a shame Palm Beach isn't an NHRA track as that would be a great place to host such an event.
One thing I noticed about this race was the amount of fans in the staging lanes, interacting with the drivers, getting selfies and enjoying a better level of access than the regular season.
Carl Brunet runs a GM Ecotec engine, I think a touch over two litres in size.

So what was the structure for this race? Did the racers have to pay an entry fee? What did it cost to get in to watch? It sure didn't look like there were tons of fans there. I'm sure there was probably something you could pay for online to watch the event, but that was a whole lotta purse payout for all classes, so I was curious to see how the balance sheet would read.

All that said, I was impressed with the quality of the event. All the hitters seemed to be in the house for every class and the cars were haulin' ass. If they do this again next year, I'm thinkin' I'll be making arrangements to attend.

Sean D
This race was kind of the replacement for the World Series of Pro Mod. Wes Buck of drag illustrated put it together. The prize money was put together by sponsors Elite, Jegs among many others.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back