On the subject of Safety.... (1 Viewer)

Jim

Nitro Member
.....being 'sorta in the field of safety and risk management, I thought (several times Saturday) what would/could/should happen, if a race ever got hit by a severe storm or tornado.

'Lo and behold, Sunday afternoon at Route 66 got really scary (to me on Audiocast, that is).

Anybody at the race:
What did they do?.....How did NHRA do?....How was crowd control?......What was it like under the stands?.....Did anyone have enough time to go to their car or motorhome?....

Heck, nobody thinks of this 'kinda stuff 'til after something awful happens.

Thoughts?

The Saturday storm just popped up with little warning, so everyone scrambled for cover and the severe weather was well south and east of the track. There was plenty of room under the grandstands for everyone to fit. The Sunday storm NHRA gave people plenty of time to get to their cars before the heavy weather hit the track, so unlike Saturday I remained dry on Sunday. The crowds moved well during both days. It was a little scary watching the clouds in the storms twist and not knowing if a tornado might come out of the clouds.

At Bandimere Speedway, everyone usually runs for shelter underneath the pit-side grandstands.

Yea, that sounds REAL safe with a thunder and lightning storm overhead, just thinking a giant metal structure that is the highest thing around that lightning could strike.

LOL it's even worse than that, Jim.... at that track the pit side grandstands are cemented into the side of a mountain... I've yet to see someone go "underneath" them!! :D

The Sunday storm NHRA gave people plenty of time to get to their cars before the heavy weather hit the track, so unlike Saturday I remained dry on Sunday. The crowds moved well during both days.

Well, that's certainly good to hear.

Realistically, in a really bad storm, the car may not be all-that-safe but, I can't imagine many tracks where I'd want to be UNDER the stands.

I suppose, whether you're at a ballgame or a NASCAR race, you're kinda' a sitting duck (especially for flying debris) but, it's a good thing NHRA gave reasonable notice and the crowds didn't panic.

Maybe God looks over us more than we know.

Yea, that sounds REAL safe with a thunder and lightning storm overhead, just thinking a giant metal structure that is the highest thing around that lightning could strike.
Electricity is strange, the metal bleachers might act like a Farraday cage and keep the lightning from striking you.

.....being 'sorta in the field of safety and risk management, I thought (several times Saturday) what would/could/should happen, if a race ever got hit by a severe storm or tornado.

Assumption of Risk

EDB (a Certified Insurance Counselor and Risk Management Consultant)

Jim,

I don't disagree with you, but show me one instance of precedent where a court has ruled in favor of the spectator for a storm at a public event...

EDB

Jim,

I don't disagree with you, but show me one instance of precedent where a court has ruled in favor of the spectator for a storm at a public event...

EDB

I doubt if anyone on the forum wants to observe (or participate in) a discussion of this stuff. Maybe it's sad but us "insurance people" can get charged up about this 'kinda stuff. Let's not bore civilians to death.:)

Feel free to PM or send me a note Jim AT JimGunther DOT Com.

I realize I'm beating this beyond death.

I saw Paul Songas' photos this morning.

Looks like there was a plywood wall under the stands (at the outer edge). I've never noticed this kind of thing and wonder if it was a temporary measure? Regardless, it seems like a clever measure to guard against flying debris - though a real tornado, no doubt, woulda made quick work of it.
Kudos whoever did it!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back