Now Bandimere ? (1 Viewer)

Progress, yeah, now Bandimere ? Hope it falls through.
Unfortunately it is probably more than just a rumor. I was talking to some media people at Indy last year who told me that Bandimere had been sold. I reached out to Bandimere about it and they denied the sale. In the meantime I have talked to many local racers and many others in the NHRA circle and they have all heard the same. I was told it was sold for $100 million and it was believed to be Amazon that purchased it. There is a glimmer of hope that they potentially build elsewhere in Colorado but I have not heard if that is going to happen.

Attachments

• 67F5031F-D5D0-4619-A5FA-16530C03981E.jpeg
    67F5031F-D5D0-4619-A5FA-16530C03981E.jpeg
    380.5 KB · Views: 397
I have heard in the past from those involved with the facility that its current location while iconic was not without drawbacks that prevented them from improvements and advancements that they wanted to make. I remember years ago hearing an idea floated about selling the property to finance the building of a new facility where they had more space and freedom to operate. Given the involvement and investment the Bandimere family has in not just the NHRA but other motorsport sanctioning bodies and events not to mention Racers for Christ, I would find it hard to believe that they would just walk away. I have a feeling if they do sell they will be building elsewhere as well

Here's my thoughts. Tracks closing is inevitable. The majority of dragstrips open 50 years ago are now closed, that's just how it works. It only makes sense that most dragstrips open today will be gone in 50 years. It shouldn't be as much of a problem as it is. The ridiculous part to me is how NHRA just refuses to go anywhere new to replace these dates. It's now been a full decade since NHRA last added a new track to the tour (Epping in 2013). NASCAR has had multiple tracks close in the last decade, but they still have 38 races because they go to new places to fill that void. I guess we're just gonna keep losing more and more dates until the Camping World Series only races 10 times a year. Plenty of tracks out there that could host the tour with some golf-tournament style temporary seating and a few other minor updates. Just frustrating when I see other forms of racing hold races in all sorts of different places no one would have thought possible, meanwhile here we are saying "welp, there goes Bandimere, guess we're down to 20 races a year now"

The wording of the track’s response to Chris is strange.
Why would they say “unfortunately” if it’s just a rumor?
“Fortunately” is what I’d expect to see if it is indeed just a rumor.
Is your "copy editor from Hell" kicking in?

I wish more would take this stand.

If it's progress you want, then don't vote for me. I am the opposite of progress. I am the wall it bashes against. And I will not be the one who breaks.

Not a surprise at all. You get a great view of the track while on approach to the Denver airport from the west. I saw it just a few days ago. There's a zillion housing tracks that have been built - and that are being built - very close to the track. You can never have enough damn housing tracks in an area like Denver. So it is a result of suburban encroachment that is zoned residential. If this particular rumor of a sale is not true, it will be true soon enough.

I doubt they will build a new facility out in the sticks of Eastern CO as the $$ returns are probably not there and the cost to build are so much higher than in the past.

Last edited:
Phoenix is like that. We've had so many people move here, that if someone wanted to build a new track, no place to put it. The old Speedworld used to be in empty land, and now housing all around. Tucson could become the new Nat'l track IF..... Thought about the old Beeline track. Traffic would be insane on that road. Forget that. How about Casa Grande, which is kinda, sorta between Tucson & Phx? You probably could find land to build a track, but the town is small, wouldn't be able to house lots of fans. About an hour south of Phx metro area, so could stay in Phx hotels. Just a thought. Somebody gimme gazillion $$$ and I'll get right on it. heh

looks like lennar homes cooked up another home development rite across the hwy. by the looks of their website, this ain't no 2-bit condo or apartment living.
the only noise these new home owners want to hear will be their electric cars taking them around the mountain to endless 'critical rave review' red rocks performances. :rolleyes:
they ain't gonna' like the dragstrip

Last edited:
Here's my thoughts. Tracks closing is inevitable. The majority of dragstrips open 50 years ago are now closed, that's just how it works. It only makes sense that most dragstrips open today will be gone in 50 years. It shouldn't be as much of a problem as it is. The ridiculous part to me is how NHRA just refuses to go anywhere new to replace these dates. It's now been a full decade since NHRA last added a new track to the tour (Epping in 2013). NASCAR has had multiple tracks close in the last decade, but they still have 38 races because they go to new places to fill that void. I guess we're just gonna keep losing more and more dates until the Camping World Series only races 10 times a year. Plenty of tracks out there that could host the tour with some golf-tournament style temporary seating and a few other minor updates. Just frustrating when I see other forms of racing hold races in all sorts of different places no one would have thought possible, meanwhile here we are saying "welp, there goes Bandimere, guess we're down to 20 races a year now"
It's not ridiculous at all, because there aren't many tracks that have the acreage and facilities to handle an NHRA national event.

A note from the track to registered racers this morning

We wanted to reach out because you are important to Bandimere Speedway and the Bandimere family. Because we value you as part of our racing family, we feel it’s important to let you personally know the future of Bandimere Speedway.

The year was 1956 and the west side of Denver was going to gain a new venue they hadn’t really anticipated. John Bandimere Sr. and his wife Frances were about to embark on an expansion of sorts for their well-known automotive machining and auto parts business – a racetrack. It was an opportunity for them to provide a place for people, especially young people to enjoy the speed and performance of the automobile off the city streets but more than that if was a place to share the love of Jesus in an unconventional environment – something they both loved to do.

It wasn’t long after the proper permits were obtained by the county and dirt was being moved, that the neighbors realized what was about to be established into their quiet neighborhood. Rather than fight a never-ending battle, the Safety Proving Grounds of America was relocated in 1958 to a remote piece of land up against the hogback mountain where it has resided for the past 65 years – most notably known as Bandimere Speedway.

The year is now 2023 and Bandimere Speedway is about to embark on another possible move. Surrounding development has become more prevalent in the past several years. Once again, Bandimere Speedway is prepared to surrender the location it has called home for over six decades. Truly, the mission and vision for the facility has not changed over the years. Second-generation owner, John Bandimere Jr., shares, “This place has never been ours, but always God’s. Keeping that perspective over the years has given our family not only the honor to run a business with integrity and dedication, but also the realization to hold it lightly knowing more than likely that we wouldn’t have it forever.”

The end of the 2023 racing season in October will mark the end of drag racing in Morrison, Colorado.

As we close the chapter on this part of our story, our family is taking the time to reflect on the hundreds, or maybe thousands, of memories experienced on Thunder Mountain. Memories including many of the irreplaceable pieces over the years that have added to the unique fabric of Bandimere Speedway. The relationships that have been created with employees, racers, sponsors, sanctioning bodies, guests, service-providers and more will remind us daily what a privilege it has been for our family to continue the legacy started by our family’s patriarch and matriarch in 1958.

Knowing that continued growth in the Rooney Valley would likely impact the future of our present location, our family has been proactive over the past several years in an effort to locate another possible location where a new facility can be established. Much the same as in 1956, the opportunity for developing and operating a multi-use facility with drag racing as its primary focus provides an exciting possibility for our family – one that will also provide the potential to make a meaningful contribution to the community, wherever it may be.

John Bandimere, Jr. will personally share this message on all social media platforms later today for viewing and sharing.

Information will continue to be shared with you during the racing season as it becomes available.

As always, if you have any questions, feel free to contact us. Praying for a great season and future!

The Bandimere Family

“Trust in the Lord forever, for the Lord, the Lord himself, is the Rock eternal.” Isaiah 26:4

just within this last week there was an announcement in the golfing world; a new multi-course golfing complex will be built NE of denver in sand dunes area
outside of roggen, co called 'rodeo dunes'....... read a few of the articles; apparently this is privately owned ranch land. the companies involved were able to
come to an agreement with land owners to purchase part of their property........ anything is possible
it sucks to hear this news. such a successful small business forced to close/move. what a shame. makes you wonder about our legal system.
even think of the restaurants in morrison who have had the same faces for decades. we stopped and ate at one of them many years ago. drag racing pics all over the walls.

I'm crossing my fingers, too.... But I'm certainly not holding my breath. lol.
Unless I'm misreading or being too optimistic, it sounds like the family has been scouting out locations for the next Bandimere Speedway. It appears that the family are realists and rather than digging their heels into the ground and fighting an unwinnable fight, they are going to treat it like a business transaction - take the money, invest it somewhere else. Just my impression from what was stated above.

It sounds like this is how the current drag strip came to be. I did not know there was a drag strip in Denver before - when did that operate until?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back