Nostalgia engines (1 Viewer)

flapjack

Staff member
Nitro Member
I am guessing at least this much: KB block, Enderle pump, billet heads (from whom?) if not cast iron heads, Littlefield (RIP) blowers. So much about the older engines that I have forgotten. If only I kept my old Car Craft and Hot Rod magazines. I barely remember the days when there were still cast iron heads, before Bernstein went with Veney heads, back in the 80s sometime.

Nostalgia is pretty darn cool...

we use a TFX block, Waterman pump, AJ Stage II heads and an SSI 6-71.......413 cu in.

33852_154000444632777_100000684664582_319132_3428720_n.jpg

TFX block
21 gallon Waterman fuel pump
AJ Nostalgia Fuel heads (billet)
PSI 6-71
426 cu in.

BAE Billet Block (4.187)
AJ II Heads
BlowerShop 6-71 (19% Max OD)
Waterman 21 Gal pump
Mallory Points Mag
RacePak Pro 1A

Tom Read the DRO(Mopar MAX) interview with KB racing engines Ken Black.
Keith's son.
KB getting back up to make some new forged blocks again.

For us we run old JP1 with Veney Billet heads Older than dirt Bowers Blower 19 Gallon Jerry McLaughlin (SP) Pump in our AA/FA

Tom Read the DRO(Mopar MAX) interview with KB racing engines Ken Black.
Keith's son.
KB getting back up to make some new forged blocks again.

For us we run old JP1 with Veney Billet heads Older than dirt Bowers Blower 19 Gallon Jerry McLaughlin (SP) Pump in our AA/FA

Bryan, I read the DRO article. Darr did a nice interview. I had no idea KB
made forged blocks. I thought they made cast blocks only.

Do they still make JP1 blocks? I want to say those came out right around the
time forged blocks became prevalent...

Do they still make JP1 blocks? I want to say those came out right around the
time forged blocks became prevalent...

Pisano made a vew runs of a couple series' of blocks then backed out. Recently (last couple years) they still had stacks of the JP-1 blocks sitting in the Venolia shops over in Long Beach.

I can still remember when the hot head in the early 80's was the Dart cast head in Top Fuel and Funny car on a JP-1 block. Then the Veney & BAE's were the hot first billet heads everyone started to go to....

Even though I don't know a tenth of what you guys know about nostalgia powerplants, I love reading about what works for individual racers. I remember the original cars, and drivers. I think it's way cool, that you guy's are keeping it alive. You can almost feel the pride you guy's have for your set-up.Not just nostalgia, but the smaller budgeted teams. You guy's are drag-racing at it's best. Carry on gentlemen. Thanks, Mike.

Pisano made a vew runs of a couple series' of blocks then backed out. Recently (last couple years) they still had stacks of the JP-1 blocks sitting in the Venolia shops over in Long Beach.

I can still remember when the hot head in the early 80's was the Dart cast head in Top Fuel and Funny car on a JP-1 block. Then the Veney & BAE's were the hot first billet heads everyone started to go to....

Thanks JR. I can't remember if they were Dart cast iron or cast aluminum
heads. I am supposing the former due to the heat transfer properties that
cast iron has. But wasn't there a cracking problem with cast iron? Which
led to Ken Veney being the first to make billet aluminum heads for top fuel.
I'm not sure about the being first part, though...

Thanks again...

Last edited:
There is nothing nostalgic about the engines in these "nostalgia" fuelers, in fact, quite the opposite is true.

Thanks JR. I can't remember if they were Dart cast iron or cast aluminum
heads. I am supposing the former due to the heat transfer properties that
cast iron has. But wasn't there a cracking problem with cast iron? Which
led to Ken Veney being the first to make billet aluminum heads for top fuel.
I'm not sure about the being first part, though...

Thanks again...

There were cast alum heads before the billet alum. The Dart was the heavy hitter and I sorta recall another brand, but can't put a name on it...

Here is some inside scoop:

"In 1984, all but five U.S. Nationals nitro category qualifiers were using Total Flow Products-prepared Dart heads. In 1985, Don Garlits won NHRA’s National Championship with Total Flow Products-prepared Dart heads. His winning car is now in the Smithsonian Institute, along with a Total Flow Products/Dart cylinder head display.
As nitro cars began using bigger cams, fuel pumps and blowers, Total Flow Products responded with bigger intake ports and four different port combinations. Eventually, Dart introduced a forged Hemi head with ports only roughed-in. Total Flow Products ported those heads by hand...."

Last edited:
Hi all new to the site. Any one correct me if I'am wrong. I know todays blocks have raised cam jornals but I dont think they have changed the bore spacing, all the bolt patterns should be the same as a stock steet Hemi. so a stock Chrysler crankshaft, and heads should bolt on. To me thats close enough to original to call them Chrysler Hemis. Also as far as I know, all Force did was to increase the main jornal dia. so ford could put a part# on the bearings and be able to call it a Ford. ROCK ON HEMI... Im a Mopar fan can you tell????

Holtz ran his BAE headed engine in AA/FC back in the 80s could not get enough fuel in the engine to get ot run 1320 about 900' she would push the gaskets out! that was at 96%.. hehehe

He was ahead of the bleeding edge.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back