Nostalgia bodies (1 Viewer)

Mike Racer

Nitro Member
BackMotor Racing News

Ever since there have been nostalgia cars, they specify body must be 1979 or older, its been 15 years (or so) and its still a 1979 cutoff, now its 2007, coming up on 2008, when will the cutoff move up accordingly. Our car is a 1984 Vette, not aero spaceship like new cars, and we need special permission to run in some nostalgia groups (we are an A/Fuel funny car) here is pic:
DSCN1917.jpg

Last edited:
I agree, 20 years old sounds about right, maybe others on a case by case basis, long as they DON'T have that spaceship/aero look, like stratus and mustang with the real narrow roofline, or other funky tweaks like weird rocker panels, and/or 4 spill plates in rear spoiler, etc...

Official sponsor announcement, we are now the "Michael Holley Chevrolet Funny Car" after securing sponsorship today (on my dad's birthday) and have updated our website to reflect our new sponsor deal: BackMotor.com Home Page

Test and Tune results from Lakeland

Yes, the weather was great, no rain, cool and comfy. Got there when gates opened 5 pm, they clock problems, didn't start running til 7 pm. Pulled into water box, engine sounded great (likes the cool air) nice big burnout, was good to be back in my "office" got staged up, was supposed to be a bye run, they pulled some slow mustang in at last second, tree comes down, launched and within 100 feet, car was almost completely sideways, and up on 2 wheels (the right side) and pointed directly at the aforementioned slow mustang, I managed to keep it in my lane, and coasted thru at 66 mph. Second run, took bunch of launch RPM out, to calm it down, did extra long burnout, staged up, launched well enough, started spinning tires again at about 100 feet (but in opposite lane this time) and headed for the centerline, burped the throttle a couple times, never got out of 1st gear, and ran 75 mph. 3rd run, nice burnout (getting good at that) left at dead idle, tires spun so bad, that within the first 20 feet was seeing shift light, burped the throttle a couple of times, got it to sort of hook up, grabbed high gear (first time all night) powered thru at only 100 mph, a bunch of people came by and said "great save, especially that 1st run" but I would have much rather gotten a career best, than a good save award so that was my big outing, and I swear I never even heard of Rapid Randy Baker, and his what I did last weekend column, LOL....Mike

Mike please dont take this the wrong way But when i look at your car I dont think Nostalgia Funnycar.... What i do see is a very neat ride though....I think your car would look *****in with one of Gaynors cuda bodies on it...

BTW I hope to be able to catch ya sometime next year to be able to check out your ride in person...

Thanks for your comments Shane, I never take anything the wrong way, comments always welcome, When I bought the Vette body, didn't plan on going nostalgia racing, but, NHRA/IHRA don't allow A/Fuel funny cars right now (maybe someday) and that's what our car was built specifically for, so I switched it to alky injected, and went shopping for a league that would let me run "as is". We got sponsorship from one of the largest Chevy dealers in the southeast USA "Michael Holley Chevrolet" in Lakeland Florida, part of the deal is 'Chevy powered and Chevy bodied' there are other Chevy bodies I would consider, and would modify to get rollcage inside (cab-forward) like the 69 camaro or 67 vette. We've been running as an altered for 4 years, recently added the body to run with the "Southern Classic Funny Cars" sticking the rollcage thru blower opening was just easier, and won't kill the resale on the body (still fits a front engine funny car)

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back