No Atlanta (1 Viewer)

Jer

Nitro Member
Just cancelled. Another race at indy? They keep this up,will need some new concrete lol

Not surprised at all with all the covid issues in the southern most states.Im planning on going to bristol in october.Hope they give as much notice as possible if there gonna scrap it as well.Hoping not.

Wouldn't be surprised at all if they decide to run the entire season at indy.Not ideal,but won't be shocked if that were to happen.Would have to finish season early if they decide to do that since it would pretty cold in indy in november lol.

NHRA SOUTHERN NATIONALS CANCELED DUE TO COVID-19 CONCERNS

GLENDORA, Calif. (Aug. 10, 2020) – The NHRA Southern Nationals at Atlanta Dragway, scheduled for Aug. 28-30, has been canceled due the current COVID-19 pandemic. NHRA made this difficult decision after exhaustive deliberation with track representatives, health officials and government authorities.

NHRA and Atlanta Dragway came to this conclusion after carefully weighing the significance of the 40th anniversary of the NHRA Southern Nationals. The anniversary of the historic race will be celebrated in 2021.

“It is with great regret that we announce the cancellation of the NHRA Southern Nationals at Atlanta Dragway,” said Kasey Coler, vice president of track management and operations. This tough decision was made following numerous discussions with our stakeholders regarding the ability to host and celebrate the 40th anniversary of the race. Unfortunately, under the current circumstances, we would not be able to provide the event a proper platform to honor and celebrate this historic anniversary.”

Event ticket holders will receive more information from NHRA via email soon and are encouraged to visit NHRA.com to learn about their options.

For more information about the NHRA schedule and the COVID-19 protocols, please visit NHRA.com.

***​

ABOUT NHRA

Headquartered in Glendora, Calif., NHRA is the primary sanctioning body for the sport of drag racing in the United States. NHRA presents 16 national events featuring the NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing Series, NHRA Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series and E3 Spark NHRA Plugs Pro Mod Drag Racing Series presented by J&A Service. NHRA provides competition opportunities for drivers of all levels in the NHRA Summit Racing Series and the NHRA Drags: Street Legal Style presented by AAA. NHRA also offers NHRA Jr. Street program for teens and the Summit Racing Jr. Drag Racing League for youth ages 5 to 17. In addition, NHRA owns and operates four racing facilities: Atlanta Dragway in Georgia; Gainesville Raceway in Florida; Lucas Oil Raceway at Indianapolis; and Auto Club Raceway at Pomona in Southern California. For more information, log on to www.NHRA.com, or visit the official NHRA pages on Facebook, YouTube, Instagram and Twitter.

-30-​

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
NHRA Media Center Online

Be social with NHRA​

National Hot Rod Association | 2035 Financial Way , Glendora, CA 91741​

Not surprised at all with all the covid issues in the southern most states.Im planning on going to bristol in october.Hope they give as much notice as possible if there gonna scrap it as well.Hoping not.
Same here, we usually do the tvc,im sure they wont have the TVC year at least (

It will all be over after the U.S. Nationals. If we make it that far.

I also think it might be over after the U.S. Nationals
Right now there are just more questions than answers and it's hard to make any plans when things are just so uncertain because of the virus.
Right now I do not buy advance tickets to anything or make hotel reservations for anything.

Jim Hill

I am with Alan, we will race more after the US Nationals, we may race all those races in Indy, but whatever it takes to keep the sport going. I went to all 3 Indy races, this past weekend was the best. Having all those categories at the track at the same time didn't leave much downtime at all, well worth the $.

I am with Alan, we will race more after the US Nationals, we may race all those races in Indy, but whatever it takes to keep the sport going. I went to all 3 Indy races, this past weekend was the best. Having all those categories at the track at the same time didn't leave much downtime at all, well worth the $.
That track is gonna need some major maintence when done wiyh all the races.

Everyone who thinks that the US Nationals will be the last race this year, I'm taking bets.

I say we will race after that. It's still a fluid situation so I don't know where and when with 100% certainty but I am certain we will race.

Alan
I hope I'm wrong about the last race in 2020 being the U.S. Nationals. I'm sure you have more inside information than most people and I'd don't care if the rest of the season, ever how many there will be, is in Indy. At least there will be drag racing.

I hope Racing goes back to HPT the original race when track opened was about 3rd week of September always a lot records ran good Racing conditions

Wouldn't be surprised at all if they decide to run the entire season at indy.Not ideal,but won't be shocked if that were to happen.Would have to finish season early if they decide to do that since it would pretty cold in indy in november lol.
probably the safest (no pun intended) direction to take. Not a lot of travel...teams can leave their equipment at the track...NHRA owned, so the track owners % won't be an issue...

Everyone who thinks that the US Nationals will be the last race this year, I'm taking bets.

I say we will race after that. It's still a fluid situation so I don't know where and when with 100% certainty but I am certain we will race.

Alan
Grab that wooden spoon and stir the proverbial pot Mr Reinhart...hahahaha

.53 rating for sunday's race. i think that's the best so far out of the 3 indy races. denso has the us nationals; let's see if nhra can attract another presenting sponsor for another indy race either
before or after labor day, and if they can afford to broadcast on fox national network again. the money margins have to be extremely tight this year.

.53 rating for sunday's race. i think that's the best so far out of the 3 indy races. denso has the us nationals; let's see if nhra can attract another presenting sponsor for another indy race either
before or after labor day, and if they can afford to broadcast on fox national network again. the money margins have to be extremely tight this year.
I'm guessing that getting Fox TV time right now is pretty easy considering that networks are starving for content. With college football looking like it's not going to happen even more time slots will need to be filled.

But if the NFL starts on time, the Sunday time slots will be filled. Maybe we can get a Saturday night broadcast!

Not at all surprised, either, with all the COVID-related POLITICS in the Atlanta area. Besides, due to the current situation in many of America's larger cities, Atlanta isn't safe. Not trying to start a political/social discussion; it simply is what it is. Maybe next year.

It hasn't been said yet so I'll do it....

The U.S. Nationals has been watered down to just another race at Indy....not the "event" it has been all these years. What can the NHRA do to make it grand again?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back