Nitro Costs... (1 Viewer)

"Competition Plus did contact NHRA about the rising cost of nitro and the sanctioning body declined comment."

“In testing, we buy nitro from Schumacher, who has the same Homeland Security restrictions, the same rules, but for some reason we can buy it from Schumacher for a lot less and it is delivered to the track,” Palmer said. “That’s wild.”

These 2 points speak volumes... :(

Interesting article. Not sure how guys like Haddock, Diehl, Totten etc. stay out there with the current costs. When there is a cheaper option available they should be allowed to use it. I would think this is a huge issue with the A Fuel teams as well. Not sure how much nitro they go through or if they are forced to use Sunoco nitro but the cost of nitro might be more than the championship check.

good article. good opinions. what is the solution?.....suddenly having a nat. event back in canada doesn't sound so bad.
hard to find info on who manufactures nitro and at what refineries. better get trump off his FL golf course and up to gainesville in a few weeks. he'll make an exception on the tariff ;)

Well the cost of nitro isn't the only problem, but it seems like an easier fix if more than one supplier was allowed. I really liked Salinas' point about NHRA charging for oildowns and yet using the explosions as advertising. NHRA has made it clear that TF and FC are their priority, yet they are not really being proactive in making sure those classes stay healthy. I'm not saying there's an easy answer, but if costs can't be lowered then the only other thing to do is go find more money for these classes. Ideally, if both could happen, car counts would really jump.

It really evokes the question, "who is NHRA trying to help; Sunoco or the racers?" Because in my years in business one thing you learn is that when there's a mission critical item in your supply chain you NEVER, EVER single-source it. You always have an approved alternative. Alternatives spur competition, and competition drives prices down. Of course it doesn't help matters that we have no US producers.

Re. Mike's comment about Trump, someone like Don Schumacher should invite him to the Gators. He's a pragmatic guy who is all about what matters to Americans and our way of life - and there's nothing more American than drag racing! :)

David,

The sanctioning body is trying to help the sanctioning body, and the supplier, as they sold the fuel supply rights to the supplier. The sanctioning body is getting their money. "If" there was a stipulation in the contract that regulates what the supplier can charge, that could help the racers, but there may not be, and the sanctioning body can just stand back and shrug their shoulders as they deposit the checks from the supplier. Your business and their business are different. You wanted competition and availability in your supply chain, because you needed the materials, and wanted them at the best prices. The sanctioning body is selling naming rights, and supply rights, for supplies they are not buying. It is a totally different business.

I think the point everyone is trying to make is that the tact of the sanctioning body looking out only for themselves and the supplier, they are failing to work on behalf of the racers without whom the show doesn't exist.

If Schumacher was the fuel supplier, what would it cost? Methinks it would be at or nearly the same. :(
From the article Mike Lewis said the price from DSR was around $400/ barrel less..... whether that matters is a question of how deep are one's pockets. ;)

I get that. But, it is a topic that has been discussed for decades. This is nothing new..... If the sanctioning body wanted to change it, they would have done so a long time ago.

You can say that without the racers, the show does not exist...… but as long as they keep showing up, not much is going to change.

If I go to my local race shop the VP C23 I run is right at $1000 a barrel .... now if I go to the Texas Mile people (also VP dealers) I can get that same fuel delivered from the same VP truck for right at $600. This is not rare.

Now I spend over $25k a year on diesel fuel .... and right now that fuel cost 1/2 of what it did as its peak about 5 years back .... and I make 100% of my living off of petroleum prices!

CP needs articles to write, i get it, trust me the cost of nitro is not going to be what drives racers out of racing .... but maybe they needed a reason for why there were more PS cars than TF diggers.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back