Nightwish and other European bands. (1 Viewer)

HEMI6point1

Nitro Member
During the pandemic, I couldn't go anywhere or do anything so I spent time on Youtube discovering new (to me) music. I kept seeing "reaction videos" to a band called "Nightwish" so I said "Ok I need to check this band out myself." I am glad I did as they are one of my favorites now. Their singer Floor is one of the best I have ever heard. Since then I have discovered bands like Sabaton, Beast in Black, Amaranthe, Beyond the Black and others. Also a shout out to Japan, they seem to have a great rock/metal scene as well. LoveBites and Band-Maid are two of my favorites right now.

What's sad is that as an American I have to go to Europe and Asia to hear good rock/metal music that isn't 20 years old or more. Because in today's modern times we seem to have an obsession with pop divas that need a music video that almost borders on soft core pr0n to distract from the total lack of vocal talent and songwriting depth. :mad:

Last edited:
I jumped on the Nightwish train about 10 years ago after first hearing stuff from the Anette era. Now, I Want My Tears Back and Alpenglow are two of my favorite songs. They rolled through the States a few years ago with Sabaton as one of the supporting bands. I wish so badly I could have gone to one of those, but the closest show to me was Des Moines on a weeknight.

I grew up a classic rock guy, but my overall favorite song is a 2.5 minute album-filler by an Israeli metal band that's sung in Hebrew from 2010. There's so much good stuff out there, even still being made today, but unfortunately, most of it needs to be stumbled into by accident because there's just not a good way to incorporate it into prevalent media. My most recent kick was with Russian folk metal, which there's actually quite a bit of.

I jumped on the Nightwish train about 10 years ago after first hearing stuff from the Anette era. Now, I Want My Tears Back and Alpenglow are two of my favorite songs. They rolled through the States a few years ago with Sabaton as one of the supporting bands. I wish so badly I could have gone to one of those, but the closest show to me was Des Moines on a weeknight.

I grew up a classic rock guy, but my overall favorite song is a 2.5 minute album-filler by an Israeli metal band that's sung in Hebrew from 2010. There's so much good stuff out there, even still being made today, but unfortunately, most of it needs to be stumbled into by accident because there's just not a good way to incorporate it into prevalent media. My most recent kick was with Russian folk metal, which there's actually quite a bit of.

Funny, I turned my mom onto Nightwish (Despite metal not being one of her favorite genres) and I want my tears back is one of her new favorites (And Floor is now one of her favorite singers now). It's interesting that you mentioned Anette. She was a good studio singer, but live she was inconsistent (She would go from decent to sounding like @$$) and that was likely the reason why she was sacked. It's cool though, Nightwish has Floor now and that's all that matters. Although I am going to miss Marko. :(

Funny, I turned my mom onto Nightwish (Despite metal not being one of her favorite genres) and I want my tears back is one of her new favorites (And Floor is now one of her favorite singers now). It's interesting that you mentioned Anette. She was a good studio singer, but live she was inconsistent (She would go from decent to sounding like @$$) and that was likely the reason why she was sacked. It's cool though, Nightwish has Floor now and that's all that matters. Although I am going to miss Marko. :(
I love melodic metal instrumentation, but often the vocals kill it for me. Technically talented singers like Floor are a welcome sight in bands like these. For some reason, though, Tarja's vocals just don't work for me. She has a beautiful voice, but sounds out of place to the point that it clashes for my ears. Floor is by far the most versatile singer they've had. And now, thanks to this discussion, I have Sagan stuck in my head and it probably will be for quite awhile.

My favorite material overall probably comes from the Anette albums (especially Imaginaerum), but it would be awesome to hear re-recordings of those with Floor.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back