Nice read about Marcus Lemonis (1 Viewer)

Very encouraging that Mr. Lemonis has invested in NHRA based purely on a commercial assessment, without ever having attended a race.

Let's hope he'll be further impressed at the Gators in March.

well there you have it. exactly what has been said more than once. he is relying on the nhra, nhra fans, and nhra teams to be supportive of his businesses, and he is eager to meet and understand
various business and business owners already in play in the nhra arena. Marcus lemonis reveals what has worked with nascar, what his first impressions of nhra are based soley on research, and
how he envisions his new business relationship moving forward. a great article. thank you autoweek.

I wanna see his reaction when 2 top fuelers taking off and he is standing with the starter lol

^^^First thing he'd likely do is cut Glendora's management salaries by a minimum of 50%...
and then some,id like to know if they took a cut this year? If not,nothing but greed. We will find out after they do the taxes lol

The question still remains unanswered: WHAT IS THE PURSE. I didn't see anything that indicated what it would be. He pretty much danced around it.

It sure as hell is if based on ROI. LOL

The reason I always went to the drag strip was to watch the racers and the show they put on and yet they are the ones who now receive a fraction of the purse money.
In my opinion that is wrong because the racers are what people come to see not the staff of the NHRA and yet they are paid many hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Try running the next event with no racers on the property and see how many fans and spectators show up!

The NHRA is the elephant in the room but if another group or association forms and pays better purse money and offers a better show the game is over for the NHRA

Jim Hill

No it isn't Jim, hardly, with all due respect. Right now in my view thru my geezer glasses, no one will form a new group, no one will get the good tracks, and no one will surplant the NHRA. Been tried with Carrier and Tice but that was years ago. When you really examine the NHRA thru fat or lean times, the folks who ran the show in North Hollywood and then Glendora have hung on and kept in going. Issues? Yes. Misatkes, yes, but thru it all the NHRA has made it thru and put's on a good product these days.

TopFuel@Lions

No it isn't Jim, hardly, with all due respect. Right now in my view thru my geezer glasses, no one will form a new group, no one will get the good tracks, and no one will surplant the NHRA. Been tried with Carrier and Tice but that was years ago. When you really examine the NHRA thru fat or lean times, the folks who ran the show in North Hollywood and then Glendora have hung on and kept in going. Issues? Yes. Misatkes, yes, but thru it all the NHRA has made it thru and put's on a good product these days.

TopFuel@Lions

To quote a well-known PR man: "All the love is gone." :(

Isn it true that the NHRA purse is higher than Formula one?

I really hope this is a joke. All the teams in F1 get $35 million at the end of the year just for showing up to every race. The rest of the points fund is based on merit, so the champions get the biggest share, and whoever finishes last gets the least. The glaring exception to this is Ferrari, they are guaranteed 2.5% of all revenues before the split just for staying in F1. Last year the teams split $1.04 Billion dollars, which is a 25% hike in just the last 5 years. Ferrari got $205 million, mostly thanks to their guarantee, and Mercedes got $177 Million as World Champions. Bear in mind, Mercedes budget is estimated at $300 million per season, so Daimler and their sponsors are still shelling out big bucks to cover the difference. The following link shows the 2019 payouts.

It just goes to show that racing, at any level, rarely makes financial sense LOL.

The reason I always went to the drag strip was to watch the racers and the show they put on and yet they are the ones who now receive a fraction of the purse money.
In my opinion that is wrong because the racers are what people come to see not the staff of the NHRA and yet they are paid many hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Try running the next event with no racers on the property and see how many fans and spectators show up!

The NHRA is the elephant in the room but if another group or association forms and pays better purse money and offers a better show the game is over for the NHRA

Jim Hill

I think we’ve covered a lot of these elements in other threads, but just to cover off briefly again.
Firstly, prize money is a huge budget line item in previous NHRA tax returns. $23m in 2018, out of totally expenses of $95m for the association.
Secondly, you need a revenue source for prize money - the entire idea of prize money is that it is a revenue share. You’d need better at track attendance, better TV audience, better hospitality set ups and so on, and you would need it immediately if you were going to attract the big teams with sponsors who depend on them.
And that just isn’t going to happen. The NHRA may not be perfect but they have done damn well to put on as much racing as they did this year and in general provide a stable and safe platform for racers to invest in.

Just out of interest, what is a fair rate of pay for managing a nationwide business which turns over millions of dollars and deals with lives at risk on an annual basis?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back