Nice dis, ESPN (1 Viewer)

Gipraw

Nitro Member
Jimmy Johnson was just on Sportscenter, and they did a nice little story on championship teams that won 5 or more in a row. The Yankees, the Canadiens, the Celtics, who won 8 in a row, the most of any team or individual in professional sports, and Michael Schumacher, the only driver to win 5 in a row before Jimmy.

Holy crap. John Force was AT the NASCAR race Sunday, for petes sake.

I bet John, Bob and Tony(did I forget anyone?) are really happy with the attention.

Last edited:
Jimmy Johnson was just on Sportscenter, and they did a nice little story on championship teams that won 5 or more in a row. The Yankees, the Canadiens, the Celtics, who won 8 in a row, the most of any team of individual in professional sports, and Michael Schumacher, the only driver to win 5 in a row before Jimmy.

Holy crap. John Force was AT the NASCAR race Sunday, for petes sake.

I bet John, Bob and Tony(did I forget anyone?) are really happy with the attention.

Drag racing isn't a real sport. It's like wrestling or monster truck racing. Nothing to see here. Move along. :rolleyes:

Sad, isn't it. The mentioned Force on the NASCAR broadcast yesterday, but not the others.

Whoever is in charge of PR and Media relations is not doing their job.

Interestingly, in his post race interview, not two minutes out of the car, Jimmy Johnson mentioned Force. "We even had John Force helping us out." (or something like that)

Racers get it. It's the media folks that don't. And _that_ is a PR problem.

The media, for the most part, sucks and really aren't quite as informed as we'd like to believe.

I like to think that it's a "lazy" problem. Someone hands them a story, they run with it. There are a number of good, eager, hardworking, hard digging journalists, but a whole boatload of them seem to just echo what they're given.

And with no one giving them drag racing stories, we don't see drag racing stories. In the last few months, we saw great Force stories in the NYTimes, USA Today, the WSJ, and others. John's PR folks probably wrote them, and just got them in the right hands. Good work.

Some idiot on Yahoo sports went on and on about five consecutive championships, blah blah, and compared it to the NBA, NFL, etc. I emailed him something to the effect of "Have you ever heard of F1 or NHRA?" Do you want to talk about consecutive championships? No answer of course. The local paper here in the land of where the NHRA started (SGV Tribune), spun it with "most consecutive championships in a major sport"! I wonder if the 50,000 fans in Pomona thought they were attending a non-major sport? I'm with those who opine that the NHRA has no PR pros. Even the LA Times had major stories with more inches about NASCAR on the very weekend of the Finals at Pomona! Shav Glick is rolling in his grave!

I like to think that it's a "lazy" problem. Someone hands them a story, they run with it. There are a number of good, eager, hardworking, hard digging journalists, but a whole boatload of them seem to just echo what they're given.

Cut and paste journalism, the downside of the blog/Twitter age.

heard m. schumacher's name mentioned on list of consecutive champions.

think of a young bill elliot and what he was able to experience and win during
his nascar career; not to mention watch his sport explode........
earnhardt, waltrip, yarlborough, lebonte, allison, petty, martin, wallace, etc.

so many icons of the nhra now leaving the sport, some with championships, some without, but none ever having seen the nhra explode in popularity.
not sure it was ever in the cards...... just don't know?

espn didn't do anything wrong - they just report what's mainstream.

Interestingly, in his post race interview, not two minutes out of the car, Jimmy Johnson mentioned Force. "We even had John Force helping us out." (or something like that)

Racers get it. It's the media folks that don't. And _that_ is a PR problem.

Um, that was Ford driver Carl Edwards actually.

The media pays little attention to drag racing - until the word gets out about a fatal accident. Then it's amazing how many of them pay attention.

Our local Daily Disappointment prints NOTHING concerning drag racing, other than articles about Mark Niver, Scott Kalitta and the Antron Brown tire incident. They think Force has something to do with Darth Vader. We have a lot of drag racers in this area, and a lot of fan interest. Yet we have to put up with front-page exposes of each new restaurant opening, every chili cookoff within 100 miles of here and every junior high soccer score, but it's been five years since the results of a national drag racing event have seen print. :mad:

We have some good PR people in the sport but the problem is Drag Racing as a whole came late to the party. Three years ago I was at indy and NHRA has an area for the media to park in behind the tower. There were just a half dozen cars and and a local TV station truck parked there out of a lot of available spots. And here this is the biggest race there is, I just shook my head in disbelief. I don't fault NHRA they are trying. It's just that some get it but most don't. This use to be a big concern of mine but I have given up.

Last edited:
We have some good PR people in the sport but the problem is Drag Racing as a whole came late to the party. Three years ago I was at indy and NHRA has an area for the media to park in behind the tower. There were just a half dozen cars and and a local TV station truck parked there out of a lot of available spots. And here this is the biggest race there is, I just shook my head in disbelief. I don't fault NHRA they are trying. It's just that some get it but most don't. This use to be a big concern of mine but I have given up.

Its the ages old problem---F1, NASCAR, most other major sports have one champion. NHRA has FOUR professional classes and a whole host of sportsman classes. IMHO, that is a big part of the problem--not having just one champion. John Force is the world champion--but so is Larry Dixon, Greg Anderson, and the Tonglet kid.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back