NHRA to Change Laid Back Headers? (1 Viewer)

On a (sort-of) related note, I noticed how many of the Funny Cars looked terrible up close at Pomona where the header flames have been burning up the wraps. I wonder if some of the teams will start to go back to paint (rather than wraps) in the offseason.

The paint on the Make A Wish fc was burnt. They didn't want to do away with the lay back headers in the middle of the season. Wouldn't surprise me if they make them go back to the old fc headers now the season is over. At Pomona the were weighing the fc's on the front, then the rear wheels.

Maybe they will allow the headers to stay and have a front to rear weight ratio???? for safety of course;)

The 45 degree headers they r looking at is what Del won the Championship with last year and ran high 3.80's with. The 58 degree ones have caused more wheelstands and other issues. Most teams had to put an extra 50-75 lbs on the nose to try and keep the front end down and also had to take most of the rear wing off which has made them more unstable as well.

The rumor mentions lower funded teams and making the cars easier to drive.....do this mean someone believes the drivers for those lower funded teams are not as talented?

The rumor mentions lower funded teams and making the cars easier to drive.....do this mean someone believes the drivers for those lower funded teams are not as talented?

I think what that means is that the lower funded teams don't have the resources to test for figuring out the balance, so they only have the limited number of runs during a race to do that.

Sponsors want their logos to be able to be seen...not burnt
that being said,nothing shows better than
v
v
2016-10-31_01-27-04.jpg

Besides the burning off of paint, or wraps, wonder how the repeated heat cycles effect the epoxy holding the body together over time.

in that sequence of Cruz's wheelstand, the only burning is on the right side of the car....the left is fine

Any ideas why? Is it that way on other cars, like the NAPA car? I think that Capps was the first to discuss the burning on tv....

FB_IMG_1480116664317.jpg
in that sequence of Cruz's wheelstand, the only burning is on the right side of the car....the left is fine

Any ideas why? Is it that way on other cars, like the NAPA car? I think that Capps was the first to discuss the burning on tv....
My uneducated guess would be just how the air came off the body during that run. I'm not sure if he had a different body the previous run or not. As for the sponsor logos being burnt I got to see a close up of Capps' car the morning before his trip in the sand at Indy and it wasn't the prettiest sight for your sponsor. Don't know how bad it looked on tv.

I am sure it is damaging the composite it is not meant to withstand that kind of heat. I would say the rein binders are becoming very brittle after exposure, yes I have worked with composites in the aircraft industry.

Besides the heat cycles on the body, I wonder how much more of their budget is being spent on replacement sponsorship decals between rounds or between races.

Judging from the few phone calls I got already this is going to cause a little controversy among the drivers. I have no problem driving one (obviously) and yes they are supposed to be hard to drive and by far the FC class is more exciting than ever before...I guess if you can't drive it and keep hitting stuff you can always move to another class. Lol

Hey Jeff, congrats on your personal bests in the DHL car! And it's great to have you chime in over here. Are you still an instructor at Hawley's?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back