NHRA Sonoma Qualifying Report (1 Viewer)

DSR logo.jpg
NHRA Sonoma Nationals
Event No. 9 of 20
Sonoma Raceway
Sonoma, Calif.
July 23-25, 2021

DSR Friday Qualifying Highlights:

• After day one of qualifying, all four Don Schumacher Racing drivers occupy ‘top three’ provisional qualifying positions heading into Saturday
  • Ron Capps, a two-time No. 1 qualifier in 2021, is seeking his 28th career No. 1 qualifier award
  • Starting Saturday from the No. 1 spot puts Capps in prime position to continue his dominant 2021 qualifying streak of earning a race day starting position of fifth or better
  • Last week’s Funny Car champion, Matt Hagan, was third-quickest on Friday night and is attempting to ‘sweep the Swing’ for the first time in his career
  • Antron Brown and Leah Pruett powered to the second and third-quickest Top Fuel passes of the evening
Ron Capps Continues Dominant Qualifying Performance; Powers to Provisional Pole Friday in Sonoma
1627219860876.png

SONOMA, Calif. (July 23, 2021)
– Ron Capps rocketed to the top of the timing sheet on Friday night when he laid down an impressive 3.897-second at 328.78-mph blast aboard the NAPA AUTO PARTS Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat Funny Car to earn the provisional pole at the NHRA Sonoma Nationals. Capps and the Dean ‘Guido’ Antonelli/John Medlen-led team have been dominant during qualifying throughout the first eight events of 2021, having successfully earned a ‘top five’ qualifying position, including two poles, at each Camping World Series event contested thus far. With his Friday night Q1 run under the Sonoma Raceway lights, Capps appears to be on track to continue with his trend of starting race day from the quick half of the field.
“We’ve qualified in the top five at every race this year, and that’s pretty stout,” said Capps, a native of San Luis Obispo, Calif. who upstaged a field of 19 cars to earn the provisional No. 1 qualifying spot. “No, we haven’t gotten a Wally trophy yet, but it’s coming. We’re a win waiting to happen. I’m just lucky I get to drive this race car. I get to go up to the starting line, stand on the gas, and, knowing it’s going to be one of the fastest qualified cars almost every time, it’s a major confidence boost.”
Capps, a four-time Sonoma Nationals event winner, couldn’t think of a better place to pick up his first victory of the season than at Sonoma Raceway, a venue he considers a home track, and also one that holds a special place in his heart.
“I can’t say enough about Guido and John Medlen,” said Capps, reflecting on an emotional 2010 Sonoma victory achieved with Medlen calling the shots. “I won here with John Medlen and it was one of the most emotional wins I’ve ever experienced, especially given what we do to celebrate (his late son) Eric’s life here every year. So, with John and also Guido, who I’ve known forever, now working on the NAPA team, it was almost a little bit of destiny when Don Schumacher put the three of us together back in January after my former crew chief announced his retirement.”
Capps, who has advanced to the semifinals or better at three out of the last four events, is aiming to lock in his 28th No. 1 qualifier award on Saturday when qualifying continues at the NHRA Sonoma Nationals.

Provisional Qualifying Position: No. 1
The Results:
Q1: 3.897 E.T. at 328.78 MPH (Three bonus points for third-quickest run of the session)

Driver Information:
Top Fuel:
ANTRON BROWN
Driver of the Matco Tools Toyota Top Fuel Dragster
Provisional Qualifying Position:
No. 2
The Results: Q1: 3.724 E.T. at 326.71 MPH (Two bonus points for second-quickest run of the session)

1627220006557.png

LEAH PRUETT
Driver of the Okuma Top Fuel Dragster
No. 3
The Results:
Q1: 3.749 E.T. at 323.97 MPH (One bonus point for third-quickest run of the session)

1627220162203.png
Funny Car:
MATT HAGAN
Driver of the Mopar Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat Redeye
No. 3
The Results:
Q1: 3.909 E.T. at 328.94 MPH (One bonus point for third-quickest run of the session)
1627220477599.png

About Don Schumacher Racing:
Established in 1998 as a single-car Top Fuel team, Don Schumacher Racing (DSR) has grown to become the winningest organization in NHRA Drag Racing history, and further cemented its position as one of motorsports’ elite teams when it surpassed the ‘350 wins’ milestone during the 2020 season. DSR owns 18 world championships in three different NHRA categories, and including hall-of-fame team owner Don Schumacher’s five NHRA Funny Car triumphs from the 1970s, DSR has been successful in capturing 360 national event victories overall.
Headquartered in Brownsburg, Indiana, DSR fields four professional teams competing in the NHRA Camping World Drag Racing Series. Three-time world champion Antron Brown, and double-duty driver Leah Pruett headline DSR’s Top Fuel dragster team. DSR’s two Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat Funny Cars are driven by 2016 Funny Car world champion Ron Capps, and Matt Hagan, who earned his third NHRA series title in 2020.
DSR also campaigns two entries in the Factory Stock Showdown Series. The duo of DSR Dodge Drag Paks is piloted by Pruett, the 2018 series champion, and former Pro Stock racer Mark Pawuk.
For more information, visit shoeracing.com, or Follow Us @shoeracing on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back