NHRA New England Nationals ESPN LIVE! (1 Viewer)

Raconteur

Nitro Member
OK, a lot of fans have been on here saying how tape-delayed coverage of NHRA Drag Racing sucks, did today's mostly LIVE coverage on the Star ESPN Channel make a difference in the excitement factor?

Or you didn't watch the NHRA coverage when NASCAR at Sonoma was on live and F1 was being repeated at the same time.

Be careful what you wish for...

Even with the two major incidents in the first round of Top Fuel they managed to get the show done on time, they must have hurried them up a little more between the early rounds as well. Great racing today and talk about a bunch of holeshot wins...wow

OK, a lot of fans have been on here saying how tape-delayed coverage of NHRA Drag Racing sucks, did today's mostly LIVE coverage on the Star ESPN Channel make a difference in the excitement factor?

Or you didn't watch the NHRA coverage when NASCAR at Sonoma was on live and F1 was being repeated at the same time.

Be careful what you wish for...

Darr, I have NEVER been this excited watching drag racing on TV in my life! Dunn, Reiff, NHRA, and ESPN did a really good job today. The announce team had really genuine excitement to the events happening before them. I know they can't all be this exciting and well run, but I'm pretty hoarse now because I couldn't stop yelling every time something happened! 12 holeshot victories?? Yeah, I could watch that!!

Personally, I've never had an opinion either way. Live is what we watch most of the time following other motorsports and sports in-general, so it's like touting "color television coverage". Tape delay should give a production crew more time to polish it up. Either way, I'm good.

Now, if they could only cram more about twitter, facebook, and add more low-quality cameras glued to hockey helmets, atv fenders, broom heads, discarded beer cups etc. to make me feel like I'm really watching a race, and ask more benign, "how do you feel" shutdown interviews instead of asking about the run and tuning choices, I'd be a happy guy. Wait....I guess I should be a happy guy.

I'm still waiting for squirrel-cam.

Capps laughed at the helmet cam. I've been laughing at it for a while.

Saying that, it was a good race. But whose fault is that?

Last edited:
Personally, I've never had an opinion either way. Live is what we watch most of the time following other motorsports and sports in-general, so it's like touting "color television coverage". Tape delay should give a production crew more time to polish it up. Either way, I'm good.

Now, if they could only cram more about twitter, facebook, and add more low-quality cameras glued to hockey helmets, atv fenders, broom heads, discarded beer cups etc. to make me feel like I'm really watching a race, and ask more benign, "how do you feel" shutdown interviews instead of asking about the run and tuning choices, I'd be a happy guy. Wait....I guess I should be a happy guy.

I'm still waiting for squirrel-cam.

Capps laughed at the helmet cam. I've been laughing at it for a while.

Saying that, it was a good race. But whose fault is that?
gary g. never met a softball question he couldnt wait to ask. and he must be whispering into Jamie's ear at night because she is his mini me.
asking someone what "the emotion were when you red lighted" ??? OMG Gary

I thought it was a great race, and the live aspect really amps up the excitement level, at least for me!

I thought it was great coverage. I'm one of those that really enjoyed the "filler" of covering the semifinal-final turnaround in depth. The time went really fast between the rounds because of the coverage. And the racing was phenomenal! And it even started and finished on time. Not sure I'd want to have every race covered live, because a lot of the interesting coverage of turnaround might get repetitious, but the "grand experiment" was a big success as far as I was concerned. Great racing and great coverage. Kudos to NHRA and the broadcast crew

Football works live, cuz it's the middle of winter and 10 degrees where I live. I'm not going to sit in the house for 3 hours in the middle of a beautiful Sunday to watch racing. I taped it and watched it later. The hour between semi's and finals dragged on. I tried to stay with it but ended up just fast forwarding to the race action. I'm not sure how that much down time would entice newbies to stay tuned.

I get some people having the need for live, especially with social media. I have just learned to not pay attention to twitter and facebook on race day. It's actually a nice break to unplug.

On the plus side, when the coverage started I was at a sporting goods store. They had their TV's tuned to ESPN so it was on. Now perhaps it would have also been on with the usual later start I don't know. But chances are the store has more foot traffic at 1 then at 7 (or midnight) so more people could have become accidental viewers. Although I seemed to be the only one paying any attention to it.

sounds like this was a good show yesterday....watched first round of TF and got on with day.
anyone subscribe to sports business journal?....what were the ratings?
selfishly i prefer the evening tape delayed broadcasts.

Live is a beautiful thing, but really, the finals are the only thing that needs to be live. The whole thing was wrapped up at 4pm Eastern after starting at 11am Eastern. So yeah you could put on a 5 hour all day show (ESPN3). But as mentioned above, who aside from diehards want to sit in front of the tv that long. Why do the semis have to be live also? The show could be condensed by that extra hour of watching crews swap engines. If you've seen it once you've seen it a million times. Yes what the crews do is nothing short of amazing, but if a NASCAR pit stop took 35 minutes, I don't think tv would stay focused on that aspect when other things are going on. We're gonna try it again this weekend in Joliet, but I'll be in the stands enjoying the show, so it's all live all the time for me! We have alcohol cars at our event so there is an extra hour in raceday to compensate. (11am-5pm) I'm actually glad it's live because of the shortened turn around time and less down time at the track! Here's to hoping one of those famous Joliet thunderstorms doesn't blow on through.

I was wondering when watching live yesterday if it was truly "live." They showed the track temp and the time on the pylon said 1:30 but my clocks were all showing 1:40. Hmmmm.

I don't care if it was all LIVE are not, I was out the door and walking 18 holes of golf by 4:30 and missed no NHRA action. This is huge!

I was wondering when watching live yesterday if it was truly "live." They showed the track temp and the time on the pylon said 1:30 but my clocks were all showing 1:40. Hmmmm.
Cheryl, that just shows what time that temp was taken. They usually check the temps about every 20 or 30 minutes.

It was the most enjoyable drag racing I've watched on TV since the Diamond P days. But being live had nothing to do with it... it was the fact that THE RACING WAS FANTASTIC!!

Kudos to everyone who made it possible.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back