NHRA Hall of Famer Jim Dunn to Celebrate 75th Birthday at Houston's Spring Nationals (1 Viewer)

[coverattach=1]Team Owner/Crew Chief Participating in his 60th Year of Drag Racing

BAYTOWN, Texas, March 24, 2009 - Where else would you expect a man in his 60th year of drag racing to celebrate his 75th birthday? At a drag strip, of course, and that's exactly what NHRA legend Jim Dunn will be doing this weekend as the team owner/crew chief takes his Canidae Racing Funny Car team to Houston for the 22nd annual O'Reilly NHRA Spring Nationals at Houston Raceway Park on March 27-29.

On his actual 75th birthday on Saturday, Dunn will be turning the wrenches on the Canidae/Lucas Oil Chevy trying to qualify Jerry Toliver for his fourth race of the season. The Jim Dunn Racing team will feature a "75th Birthday" logo to commemorate the special day and historic season.

"I enjoy the races and the spectators are great," Dunn says. "That's my home away from home. I'm just glad that I'm still walking and still have the opportunity to tune this Canidae/Lucas Oil Funny Car. Anytime we go to the starting line we say we can beat the guy. I've always said that the day I go up to the starting line and say I can't beat him, I'll quit. Racing is racing."

Toliver and the Jim Dunn Racing team continue to make strides and are coming off of their best race weekend of the young season. Toliver made four full passes in qualifying the Canidae/Lucas Oil Chevy 12th at Gainesville and defeated Mike Neff in Round 1 for his first round-win of the year. Toliver looks to carry that momentum into Houston where he was runner-up to Tim Wilkerson in 2004 and runner-up to Bob Gilbertson in 2000.

"I think our performance at Gainesville was definitely a step in the right direction and gives us some momentum going into Houston," Toliver said. "I don't care who you are, going rounds in Funny Car is tough. It was good to get a round-win there, and for this team with a new car and new driver to do it in such a short amount of time is impressive. We're starting to put the pieces together and we're getting closer."

Dunn, a pioneer in this sport as a driver, team owner and tuner, started his career as a competitor in 1950 when the popularity of drag racing was starting to move from the streets and began to take hold on local strips throughout Southern California. Over the years, he has accumulated numerous wins and performance records including a victory at the 1972 Supernationals in Ontario, Calif., a win at the 1981 World Finals in Irvine, Calif., and a runner-up finish at the 1981 U.S. Nationals in Indianapolis. Dunn is also the only driver to win the prestigious March Meet at Bakersfield in both Top Fuel and Funny Car.

Since retiring from driving in 1990, Dunn's career has continued to flourish as a respected crew chief, technical advisor and car owner. He wrenched cars to numerous victories throughout the '90s including the 1997 Big Bud Shootout in Indianapolis, the 1998 Pontiac Excitement Nationals in Columbus, Ohio, and the 1999 U.S. Nationals at Indianapolis. His most recent win as an owner/tuner came last July in Seattle with Tony Bartone behind the wheel of the Canidae/Lucas Oil Chevy. In 2001 Dunn was voted No. 27 on NHRA's list of the Top 50 Drivers of its first 50 years, and in 2006 he was given the great honor of induction into the International Drag Racing Hall of Fame.

"Everybody asks how you can do this for 60 years," Dunn says. "I must just really love pain or I'm just really stupid (laughs). It's been good for me because I enjoy working on the cars. I enjoy listening to them and hearing them. I do it for myself because I enjoy it. When the car starts and does what you ask it to, that's the whole emotional trap right there."

A one-hour telecast of qualifying coverage for the NHRA Spring Nationals can be seen on ESPN2 on Saturday, March 28, beginning at 8:00 p.m. (ET). Coverage on ESPN2 continues on Sunday, March 29, when NHRA Race Day will kick off eliminator coverage starting at 11:00 a.m. (ET), and concludes with three-and-a-half hours of final eliminations coverage beginning at 4:30 p.m. (ET).

Canidae All Natural Pet Foods is committed to sharing the message of "Responsible Pet Ownership" through proper care and nutrition. Canidae provides its valued customers and their pets with the highest standard of excellence for product quality, palatability and customer satisfaction.

Attachments

• JimDunn75th.jpg M.jpg
    JimDunn75th.jpg M.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 9
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back