New Pomona date is...... (1 Viewer)

Mike

Nitro Member
...still unannounced. However, over on Competition Plus, there's an interesting rumor that NHRA may run there during the Western Swing. "Winternationals" in August????

The question is, will the state and/or county and/or city allow it to happen? Didn't someone post on here that the grounds have held a number of swap meets recently?
Asking this as someone who's only been to Pomona for the February race- How hot does it get in Pomona in the middle of August?

It can get 90's or hotter. Would be a great nite race if they could do it. Maybe they could call it the Hot Nationals.... (maybe not)

On the subject of Pomona, is it true they aren't able to re-surface the track for some reason? I've always been curious what that meant exactly.
The event could easily be billed as the Summernationals during the swing. Just hopeful that NHRA gets a race date in CA this season

On the subject of Pomona, is it true they aren't able to re-surface the track for some reason? I've always been curious what that meant exactly.
The event could easily be billed as the Summernationals during the swing. Just hopeful that NHRA gets a race date in CA this season
It's been resurfaced several times in it's history, so I'm not sure where you had heard that.

I thought Pomona has a strict curfew?
Pamona has a 7 PM curfew. However, in the past, if I remember correctly, NHRA has received a permit from the City of La Verne (across the street) to be able to run until 10 PM. And not a minute after.

Pamona has a 7 PM curfew. However, in the past, if I remember correctly, NHRA has received a permit from the City of La Verne (across the street) to be able to run until 10 PM. And not a minute after.

It is my understanding those permits are VERY expensive. NHRA has done anything they can to avoid paying them in recent years.

As for the Winter Nationals, my gut says there won't be one this year. We will be lucky if the World Finals are at Pomona in November.

Last edited:
I posted about the swap meets in the past and how huge they are, larger than the two NHRA races. But there have been no swap meets since the lockdown last year. Right now the pit parking area is a drive through COVID vaccination site.

Move the races to the Texas Motorplex, at Ennis TX. Did anyone see the (full capacity) crowd at the Texas Rangers baseball game last weekend? Jeez,before one knows it come May and June the Pomona Fairplex will be overrun with those Entitled Migrants,with the California 'Reduced Capacity" mandates being thrown out the window as they will be packed in little huts like sardines harkening back to the crowds of the Winternationals days of old !

Going to be hard to keep this thread from going political, eh?

Elections have consequences.

Jim, not trying to be political (altho hard not to w/ this). When I saw that article, realized no way is NHRA gonna be able to run a race at Pomona. Arghhhhh Ya know, NHRA leases the track, so I wonder if LA County will give them a refund for not being able to run the last year?

Agree with the above. Fairplex being used for Covid activities was a delay to NHRA. I think the migrant situation is going to carry on for a long time. Have my doubts now whether a race at Pomona can happen at any time this year. I realize it's only April but have to think NHRA execs must be starting to plan alternatives. Can't imagine they would just drop both Pomona races-have to be replaced with something whether it be Vegas or Texas (as mentioned above.)

Not wanting this to happen but... it's starting to sound like NHRA might not have a future at the Fairplex. So many issues are popping up. Neighbor noise issues, politics, Covid 19 crowd limitations and immigrant quarters. While I hope this isn't the future, does anyone know if NHRA owns the bleachers and other equipment?

There are so many tracks that have the space and would love to fill the NHRA National voids that they are going through. In my honest opinion, Move on! Stop being a bunch of Whimpering PU$$@# Sure, There are many tracks that have history but so do Englishtown, Lions...Yes I said that! But what about some other tracks that would be happy to pick up the Political mess that we are dealing with right now?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back