New Jim Head car paint job (1 Viewer)

Honest question:
How much does paint for a F/C body weigh and how much does a wrap for the same car weigh?

We scraped the white paint job off our last Monte Carlo body and vacuumed up every piece and weighed it. It weighed less than 6 pounds.

Just noticed Jonnie said it is a 2019 "Mustang" body. Not sure what they ran last year. Anyway, it would seem they have struck a deal with Tasca, because I think Tasca had the 2019 body designed and built.

I think the Mustang body came from Force. He gave them one after he crashed with Jonnie's car. But it would be nice if Head got a new Mustang body, as they are a better piece.

Looks awesome. All their trouble started last year when they went with a green car. Should have known better.

We scraped the white paint job off our last Monte Carlo body and vacuumed up every piece and weighed it. It weighed less than 6 pounds.
This is interesting info. From painting cars and such as a hobby (back when I had time for hobbies) I always wondered how much paint was actually left on the body or chassis tubes. While a paint gun cup full of paint may weigh a pound, half that is reducer that evaporates as the paint dries. I don't imagine 6 lbs of paint on a 2,575 lb funny car is going to turn an also ran into a stellar performer.

When that picture first popped up, I thought the "Mad Scientist" had returned.............lol

Just noticed Jonnie said it is a 2019 "Mustang" body. Not sure what they ran last year. Anyway, it would seem they have struck a deal with Tasca, because I think Tasca had the 2019 body designed and built.
Unless I missed something, he said it was the Jim Head body for 2019, not that it was a 2019 mustang.

This is interesting info. From painting cars and such as a hobby (back when I had time for hobbies) I always wondered how much paint was actually left on the body or chassis tubes. While a paint gun cup full of paint may weigh a pound, half that is reducer that evaporates as the paint dries. I don't imagine 6 lbs of paint on a 2,575 lb funny car is going to turn an also ran into a stellar performer.

I had someone tell me many years ago that the bondo, primer and paint added 40 pounds to their funny car body. I thought that was a ridiculous figure. In light of that we always did very minimal body prep because I didn't want to be that guy. Being very curious after my car got stuffed into the catch net at a Seattle Divisional race I decided to strip the paint before any repairs were made to the body. It took a loooooong time to strip it, but curiosity got the best of me. I was pretty surprised (happy) at the weight. Keep in mind it was just two colors, white body/black windows.

Back in 1990's this paint job was very complex with more body prep, fades, gold leaf separating the colors, etc. I ran it before and after paint and didn't notice any significant weight gains. Billy B painted it.

Goodwin and Swayne 1999.jpg

^ WOW !! That is very sharp, Randy ! That must have really stung to stuff it in the net......edit - Oops, I misread and revealed my oldtimers lol

Last edited:
^ WOW !! That is very sharp, Randy ! That must have really stung to stuff it in the net.

Yes, it was the white Monte Carlo that got stuffed. The G/S green car paint job lasted 4 years! Won Best Appearing car twice with it at NHRA National Events. And won the NHRA Division 7 championship.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back