New FSS Rules (1 Viewer)

People may criticize the constant changes but understand they need to keep the manufacturers as close as possible for the foreseeable future to keep growing the class. The progress with these cars is evolving quickly. Look at how much changed in the off season. What a cool class this evolving into!

People may criticize the constant changes but understand they need to keep the manufacturers as close as possible for the foreseeable future to keep growing the class. The progress with these cars is evolving quickly. Look at how much changed in the off season. What a cool class this evolving into!

Agree with every word you said, Michael. I love this class already.

Sean D

For the first time in history, the NHRA has REDUCED the weight on the Mopars?!?!? Or is it just my meds ? o_O

Glad to see the class flourishing...now use the TV time taken from PS to show us the complete rounds of FSS

For the first time in history, the NHRA has REDUCED the weight on the Mopars?!?!? Or is it just my meds ? o_O

Glad to see the class flourishing...now use the TV time taken from PS to show us the complete rounds of FSS

only after giving Ford and GM bigger blowers. Did they actually take off weight or just remove the weight they ADDED last year ??

this is a great class hope they can somehow keep it even, highly unlikely.

We are supposed to believe that NHRA tech dept. is smart enough to fix FSS but when they tried to fix PS they eliminated an entire manufacturer. Everyone said there is no way NHRA knew what the results would be for PS but we are to trust them that they know how to fix FSS. I'll wait and see.

IMO give all the manufacturers the same specs and allow them to apply them to their engine and see where it goes.

only after giving Ford and GM bigger blowers. Did they actually take off weight or just remove the weight they ADDED last year ??

this is a great class hope they can somehow keep it even, highly unlikely.

We are supposed to believe that NHRA tech dept. is smart enough to fix FSS but when they tried to fix PS they eliminated an entire manufacturer. Everyone said there is no way NHRA knew what the results would be for PS but we are to trust them that they know how to fix FSS. I'll wait and see.

IMO give all the manufacturers the same specs and allow them to apply them to their engine and see where it goes.

According to the story, the Fords were reduced in supercharger overdrive.... don't know enough about the class to say anything about bigger blowers or who has them...

"Additionally, the 2019 Cobra Jet 351 supercharger overdrive is being reduced by (17.9) percent from (150.0) percent to (132.1) percent. "

This is going to be a class that deserves this emoji 🍿

What?? Pro Stock has been on the same cubic inch to weight formula since 1982 and hasn't changed since........

Sean D
I was talking how they starting to change rules more in favor of Chevrolet's than others. We were racing MP in IHRA then a little NHRA right before PS started. I know about the 500 in rule and that's why I like PS 6.50et compared to upper 800 in in mountain motor and only going 2 tenths faster. What they have done with PS is impressive to say the lease

Hey NASCAR juggles weights and engine stuff all the time(mostly in public view, sometimes not so much)and look, it hasn't hurt them, they had 30-40 people in the stands at Bristol.

Hey NASCAR juggles weights and engine stuff all the time(mostly in public view, sometimes not so much)and look, it hasn't hurt them, they had 30-40 people in the stands at Bristol.

NASCAR doesn't change weight, they do change the horsepower via a tapered carb spacer (Different from but similar to the restrictor plate) but they run almost Spec engines anyway. Roush builds all the Fords, TRD does all the Toyotas and the Chevys are built by either Hendrick or Earnhart-Childress (ECR).

They adjust aerodynamic packages (spoilers and splitters) regularly.

Alan

NHRA has changed rules for certain combinations after every Factory Stock Showdown race this year in an attempt to maintain parity. I think the blower upgrades given to the CJs and COPOs in the off-season were to equalize them with what the Mopars already had, but it gave a bit too much advantage and now they are trying to reign them back. I'm really glad the penalty weight came off the Mopars. The number of rules for different combinations is dizzying, but I applaud NHRA for at least trying to create a level playing field. I follow the FSS cars closely as it's one of the most interesting classes out there - plus it has the manufacturers interested and involved. That's huge.

Agreed on all points, David. This class will see more than its share of adjustments, especially in the first few seasons as these wizards get their hands on them and figure out what makes them sing. But as long as caps are put on cubic inches, blower size and overdrive, you gotta think the curve will flatten out at some point and the adjustments will be much fewer and further between.

Even as a GM guy, I love this class. Love, love, love it.

Sean D

I agree Sean, there will likely be many more adjustments. I'm okay with that. I'm a Mopar guy through and through, but don't get too upset if one brand or another is on a winning streak as long as the rules are fair to all. Throughout pro stock's history we saw periods where each of the major brands dominated; it's kind of cyclic. One brand does well until somebody figures something out. With all the ex-Pro Stock talent FSS is attracting it has nowhere to go but up!

Last edited:
I think one equalizer is the size of the tire. That is a little tire for the weight & speeds & ET's.
Tire size used to be much more of an equalizer than it is now, with the advances in all-around racing technology. Small tire cars are now pushing ETs that Pro Extreme cars can run (different set of circumstances, I know, but that used to be thought impossible because of the tire limitations). FSS cars will be affected by chassis certification restrictions well before tire size is truly an issue.

Doh! I forgot about the electronic engine management now in NASCAR. NASCAR doesn't have to allow someone to be light to get the fan pleasing result. They can do it with the box. (Look at the curious history of Daytona 500 pole sitters).

Wouldn't it be interesting to have piles of Ford, Chevy and Fiat ECU's in a pile at the head of the staging lanes. Factory stock drivers close their eyes and randomly pick the appropriate NHRA supplied ECU for their car. There is a world of really interesting things swimming around in an ECU.

Tire size used to be much more of an equalizer than it is now, with the advances in all-around racing technology. Small tire cars are now pushing ETs that Pro Extreme cars can run (different set of circumstances, I know, but that used to be thought impossible because of the tire limitations). FSS cars will be affected by chassis certification restrictions well before tire size is truly an issue.
They're about to speed / et of PS where chassis is going to have a 25.5 certification to be legal.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back