New dragstrip in New Paltz, NY? (1 Viewer)

HEMI6point1

Nitro Member
Heard from my dad from when he was talking to my uncle that a new dragstrip is being built in New Paltz, NY. Anyone have any info on this? All I've heard is that the permits have been approved but I cannot find any info on google which is a shock.

Heard from my dad from when he was talking to my uncle that a new dragstrip is being built in New Paltz, NY. Anyone have any info on this? All I've heard is that the permits have been approved but I cannot find any info on google which is a shock.
I find that hard to believe but....
Lebanon Valley is 50ish mi north.
That would make 5 (assuming it is going to be the latest and greatest) operational tracks in NYS. Additionally NYS is not the best state to start/have a small business in ,especially one that is struggling to maintain much less grow. Skyview (Closed) is only 50mi to the west as well and was a very nice facility. Their has been rumors of new tracks in my location( between Rochester and Buffalo) for years even though their are two tracks within 30min. Not enough customer base or days in the week to support more tracks...that's my $.02 anyway

I find that hard to believe but....
Lebanon Valley is 50ish mi north.
That would make 5 (assuming it is going to be the latest and greatest) operational tracks in NYS. Additionally NYS is not the best state to start/have a small business in ,especially one that is struggling to maintain much less grow. Skyview (Closed) is only 50mi to the west as well and was a very nice facility. Their has been rumors of new tracks in my location( between Rochester and Buffalo) for years even though their are two tracks within 30min. Not enough customer base or days in the week to support more tracks...that's my $.02 anyway

Spencer is also closed. South Butler runs a once a month Nostalgia race, 1/10 mile. There is also a track running in Monroe County. Dunno much about it.

I believe the “track” in Monroe County is actually an airfield that runs a handful of armdrop type events during the summer. Our real home tracks are Empire Dragway, which is a great facility, and super long. The new owner is making improvements every year. The other is an 1/8 mile track which is part of a circle track, near Buffalo.

I believe the “track” in Monroe County is actually an airfield that runs a handful of armdrop type events during the summer. Our real home tracks are Empire Dragway, which is a great facility, and super long. The new owner is making improvements every year. The other is an 1/8 mile track which is part of a circle track, near Buffalo.

Is Erie still open?

ESTA Safety Park still running? won our 1st TF match race there against Kats & Jammers Ted Wolf

I live near New Paltz and I’ve heard those rumors for awhile. Most recently I heard that they cleared the land.

While I would love to see it happen, unfortunately I don‘t believe it. The cost to open a business in NY is astronomical. If all the permits were in place as the rumors say, there would be something about it in google. Years of studies would have to take place before anything. Environmental impact, traffic etc etc.

New Paltz is liberal capital of liberal NY. There would be a public outcry if something cool like this ever came close to reality.

If you're talking about Presque Isle/Lowville/Wattsburg...it's still running under the name "Lucky Drag City."
Could possibly the same strip I am talking about . I know it was under Nascar when we raced there .Was there a military base close by at one time ?--Maybe late 60s early 70s?

Could possibly the same strip I am talking about . I know it was under Nascar when we raced there .Was there a military base close by at one time ?--Maybe late 60s early 70s?
Mike I know back in the 60s until the early '70s, the track that had many big races up here was Niagara Dragstrip. Early on, I believe it was NASCAR sanctioned. I spent many weekends there as a little kid when my dad was running A/A.

That was Niagara and it has been closed since '74

There are 4 operational sanctioned Drag strips in NY currently, Empire, ESTA, Lebanon Valley and NYIRP(Lancaster). South Butler is a unsanctioned part time track (two independent lanes no guardrails) and Lucky's isn't in NY. There is an "Arm Drop" type event held at a municipal Airport in Brockport (4-6 time a summer).Other than that all other tracks have since closed (Spencer, Dunkirk, Niagara, many other that escape me at the moment.)

There are 4 operational sanctioned Drag strips in NY currently, Empire, ESTA, Lebanon Valley and NYIRP(Lancaster). South Butler is a unsanctioned part time track (two independent lanes no guardrails) and Lucky's isn't in NY. There is an "Arm Drop" type event held at a municipal Airport in Brockport (4-6 time a summer).Other than that all other tracks have since closed (Spencer, Dunkirk, Niagara, many other that escape me at the moment.)

Spencer is still there. It's the owner that's the problem. Lucky's is just below the state line and is close enough to be included.

Spencer is still there. It's the owner that's the problem. Lucky's is just below the state line and is close enough to be included.
Spencer is down the road from me, from what I heard it's for sale but in the meantime has not been running drag racing, just circle track. And for what it's worth, it's a 1/10 mile dragstrip.

Spencer is down the road from me, from what I heard it's for sale but in the meantime has not been running drag racing, just circle track. And for what it's worth, it's a 1/10 mile dragstrip.

And it's bee there forever. Shame o the owner! :(

The first season Spenser was Drag dormant I tried to schedule/rent a Saturday for a GRS (Gasser Racing Series) event and the owner acted like I was bothering him, didn't want to talk to me.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back