Need PC help!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Alan

Nitro Member
We are having major pc issues....let me run them down...

1. Had Bitdefender Anti-Virus 9, no problems per se. Purchased version 10 when 9 expired, and started having problems right away, like not hearing sound on Windows media player movies, but able to view. After much haggling to fix, they finally refunded my money.

2. Removed Bitdefender, sounds returned!!!! Purchased Macafee, downloaded, unable to access internet and email problems.

3. Uninstalled, able to access internet. They had me re-install, no more internet. Uninstalled again, internet works.

4. Currently no anti-virus, going to request refund from MAcafee.

5. Internet working, email jacked up. Outlook Express opens, but the send recieve box will open for a flash, then close. I am able to send email, but not receive.

6. So I need suggestions on anti-virus stuff, and how to fix email...fixing email is pertinent!!!!! How am I supposed to get the dirty jokes all my ex-cop friends like to send me!!!!

7. HELP ME MATERS!!

Yep, Windows XP. And I'm not computer literate, so any help at all is appreciated. I'm reading the OE repair right now. Will keep you posted.

OK, in the process of the OE repair right now, (typing this on the Mom-in-laws puter).

Then I'll tackle the Virus ware issue....

If this doesn't work, I'll fix it the old school way...5-gallons of gas and a match:D

:confused::mad::mad::mad:

OE is working....except I lost all the addresses..which I can get from people, so not a big boo-boo.

Now when the computer comes up, I get error message about the computer recovering from a serious error. I send report to Microsoft, the error comes right back. I don't send, it comes right back. I'm gonna re-start everything and see what happens. If it fails me again it might be Geek Squad time.....

Alan,
do a restore to the day before you did the first anti virus update.
that should put everything back the way it was on that date.

Alan,
do a restore to the day before you did the first anti virus update.
that should put everything back the way it was on that date.

Thanks...I had tried that, and it would not restore for some reason. So on my s*&t list of anti-virus companies are BitDefender, Mcafee, and Norton/Symantec. I think I'll go purchase the AVG version that covers everything.

No more error messages after the last re-start...

Sorry that didn't work when you tried it.
I had some bug show up last year after an update of some sort, did the restore and it actually worked. Go figure.

Alan,
You may want to try downloading a program called HijackThis. It is a program that makes a log of what your cmputer does at bootup.

Then go to Lockergnome's HijackThis Logs describe you probelem and post you log.

They have very helpful people there who can help. If you have a probelm that they can help you with they will give great directions and walk you through it and let you know what other programs to download to help you out. Also be sure to read the Sticky.

It is actually a good idea for anybody to make sure no nasties have gotten on you machine such as Spyware and Adaware etc.

Good luck

Last edited:
Thanks...I had tried that, and it would not restore for some reason. So on my s*&t list of anti-virus companies are BitDefender, Mcafee, and Norton/Symantec. I think I'll go purchase the AVG version that covers everything.

I have the AVG Internet Security package, works great no issues and doesn't slow down your system.

BTW go and download Mozilla Thunderbird (mozilla.com), it's free just like outlook express but a million times better.

The first thing you ned to do is to make a backup. I know your computer is screwed up but if it continues to get worse you will at least have this point in time from which most of your information is still on it.

Download Ccleaner, (free), install it and run it.
I suggest you also run the Ccleaner "registry repair" and MAKE A BACKUP when it asks if you want it to make a backup. You may need to run this two or three times. EACH time it will ask if you want to make a backup and each time you will say YES. You will probably have to add an "a" or "b" at the end of the file name for the second and third backup.

Reboot.

Go to Microsoft and run all updates.

As far as anti-virus, Whatever bran you use may or may not create the typeof problem you have experienced. We all have preferences. I use CA as I find is a bit faster, and somewhat more stable but at the home or single PC level there really isn't much difference between the packages except for the algorithm's and scanning engines utilized.

As a general rule, whatever anti-virus software you use, you should realy go to the manufacturers site and download all the updates for your exact version before you use it (if possible).

Since Vista was released there have been a great many installation issues with most brands and most versions of anti-virus/anti-spam/anti-spyware packages.

Please follow these steps and report back.

You may also ned to re-run Ccleaner, and any anti-virus/anti-spyware software after a clean boot and in "safe mode" to get everything.

Thanks for the help so far. Ted, your advice will be the next course when I get home tonight. As of last night, everything was working ok, but I still need to deal with the anti-virus issue.

Alan, just in case you didn't get it yet,

USE AVG!

The free version is awesome and quite complete in my book.
I've used every Norton created-NEVER again!
McAfee was marginally valuable but intrusive like Norton.
Since I downloaded AVG I haven't had one problem, period!

I'm definitely going to use AVG. I would like more than just the anti-virus stuff, so I may purchase one of their other products, but I'm going with you guys on this.

I'm gonna check out the Mozilla email thing too. I've also been told to use Firefox over IE....any thoughts on that???

You'll still need to use IE for some pages that aren't Firefox friendly, but at least to me FF works on 99% of all pages I visit. It's certainly a lot safer!

I wouldn't be much help to you on getting the PC cleaned up, but once you do....

AVG anti-virus & spyware is the way to go... I've had both Norton & McAffee in the past, they both suck, AVG works excellent...

Also, Mozilla Firefox has worked flawlessly for me, it offers multi-tab viewing & I also now use Mozilla Thunderbird for my e-mail rather that OE, again it offers multi-email account management on one single page.

Alan - I have the solution! Buy a Mac - :eek: Sorry, just couldn't resist!
But seriously, go to datadoctors. com - they have a huge PC problem solving database.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back