Mopar®’s Allen Johnson on Track for 350th Round of Racing after Friday Qualifying at (1 Viewer)

Deby

Nitro Member
[coverattach=1]Gainesville, Fla. (March 13, 2009) – Team Mopar® NHRA Full Throttle Pro Stock driver Allen Johnson briefly held the No. 1 spot before finishing in the third position following the second of two qualifying sessions today at the ACDelco NHRA Gatornationals. Johnson is looking to achieve a historic career milestone this weekend by advancing to his 350th round of racing with a first-round victory on Sunday.

The Mopar/J&J Racing Dodge Stratus R/T driver was No. 1 after a pass of 6.600/207.82 in the first qualifying session. He was bumped down to third in the second session and was unable to reclaim the top spot despite a strong run of 6.607/208.97.

“We’re consistent, aren’t we?” said Johnson of his twin 6.60 passes. “It’s a good start. We had a little more on that last run, but the driver put it in on the limiter in second gear.

“I don’t know if we could have run 58s (provisional pole-sitter Mike Edwards posted a 6.582 ET), but we could have definitely run low 59s. Our Mopar HEMI® engine is making great power. We’re still up there. Tomorrow we’ll hopefully be just as good as we were in that first run, and we’ll go right out there and get it back.”

Added Johnson, regarding the chance to advance to his 350th round: “It’s hard to believe I’ve been out here that long. I have to stop and remind myself this is my 14th year of racing. It will be a big accomplishment for Dad [J&J Racing engine builder Roy Johnson] and me if we can get to that 350th round at Gainesville. It would be even better to cap it off with a win.”

Johnson’s Mopar HEMI-powered partner, Johnny Gray, also had a solid first day in Gainesville. Gray clocked in at ninth with a pass of 6.640/208.01.

Attachments

• Moparlogo.jpg
    Moparlogo.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 4
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back