Medlen's Hat (1 Viewer)

StockersRock

Nitro Member
Did anyone else notice Medlen's injector hat? Not sure if it's been different for a while, and I just didn't notice, but it appeared to have two large openings instead of the typical three or four. Anyone know anything about it?

It was talked about quite a lot on the Seattle broadcast. I think that was the first time that they used it. Medlin (crewchief, not the driver) said at the time that so far it hadn't hurt & they hoped it would prove to be a better deal. There was a good discussion over on Nitroland a while back about the differences between, at that time, the 3 hole vs the 4 hole injector. Former "Mater" Frank Oglesby (who owns a fuel & air flow business) said that he thought that there probably was an advantage to the 4 hole design. The reason that he gave was that the 4 "holer" allowed the incoming air to be equally divided so that 1/2 would go down one side of the blower & allow the other 1/2 to go down the other side. That same reasoning would hold true for the 2 "holer". With the 3 hole design the center opening was allowing air to enter the blower case above the area where the rotors were spinning upward & possibly interfering with airflow efficiency. There is no difference in the amount of air entering the engine as all injectors in the fuel classes, whether they be 2, 3 or 4 hole designs, are limited by the rules & cannot excede 65 square inches. Made sense to me & maybe that's what John Medlin is thinking.
Hope this helps..........."HIP"

They were using the new hat in Denver.
It has 6" plates and the design improves the air flow into the blower.

-Toyse

the square inch is ok but have you noticed it has a larger opening than the blade size. Yes if you look close it flares open a little catching more air. :confused:

Steve, I hadn't noticed that but you're right. Smart thinkin' because they measure the opening where the blades are.............."HIP"

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back