Matt Smith Fall in Rd. 1 in Upset at Indy (1 Viewer)

CLERMONT, Ind. – For 2007 NHRA Full Throttle Series Pro Stock Motorcycle champion and 2006 Mac Tools NHRA U.S. Nationals winner Matt Smith, it was a good weekend. The North Carolina native was the top qualifier for the first two days of the event and went into eliminations Monday second on the speed charts. He also tuned his wife Angie's Buell and she turned a strong Q4 and Q5 into a 12th-place qualifying effort, especially rewarding since she missed the show last year. So, it was a good weekend.

Until Rd. 1 on Monday.

No. 15 qualifier Jim Underdahl beat Smith in one of many upsets in the PSM class at the Big Go after Matt experienced clutch issues on the starting line. "I was really disappointed with the way I ran," Smith said. "I think I could have run a 6.89 in the first round, but a clutch issue burned us."

The track temp was well below the 134 degrees it reached earlier in the weekend due to cool temps and overcast skies, making the loss even more disappointing since the conditions were perfect for record runs. Underdahl went on to beat former class champion Hector Arana in the next round, losing to Jerry Savoie in the semi-final round. Savoie would go on to the finals where he lost to Hector Arana Jr., winning his first-ever NHRA Pro Stock Motorcycle race.

The next event for Matt Smith Racing is at his home track, zMAX Dragway in Concord, N.C., for the O'Reilly Auto Parts NHRA Nationals.

Sponsor Matt: Matt is providing a unique opportunity to be a sponsor for his Matt Smith Racing Buell for the O’Reilly Auto Parts NHRA Nationals at zMAX Dragway, his home track. Sponsoring Matt Smith for the Sept. 15-19, 2011, NHRA Full Throttle Series event at zMAX Dragway gives fans an invitation to the MSR Pit Party Sept. 15, 2011, at the track, the opportunity to sign the bike, an autograph from Matt & Angie Smith, and the opportunity to participate in a group picture with Matt, Angie, the MSR Buell, and other sponsors. If fans are unable to attend the MSR Pit Party, Matt or Angie can personally sign the bike for them. For more information, click HERE.

Attachments

• 070-4.jpg
    070-4.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 38
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back