Lucas Oil Northstar Nationals (1 Viewer)

mick

Nitro Member
31 years ago john force races to his 3rd nat. event win and his first of 11 at this track. his 11th in 2007 i believe was his 125th......a chevy thumped a ford in PS, and amato with one of his many wins at BIR. check out a very young jimmy prock celebrating after john martin advances in semis.
august excitement at BIR gets underway tomorrow......full fields in TF(19), FC(17), and PS(20)

31 years ago john force races to his 3rd nat. event win and his first of 11 at this track. his 11th in 2007 i believe was his 125th......a chevy thumped a ford in PS, and amato with one of his many wins at BIR. check out a very young jimmy prock celebrating after john martin advances in semis.
august excitement at BIR gets underway tomorrow......full fields in TF(19), FC(17), and PS(20)
That was good,the car sounds are so much better,like as in you can hear them much better,all we hear now is lohnes talking until the last second before the amber lights come on,almost like some dj yapping until a song,singer starts singing on the radio lol

The cars sounded better because they were not running the volume of fuel thru them (hence the pop, burning of most of the fuel) as they are today. Nothing beats a Big Block Chevy on 97%.

Thank You Jeremy.

The cars sounded better because they were not running the volume of fuel thru them (hence the pop, burning of most of the fuel) as they are today. Nothing beats a Big Block Chevy on 97%.

Thank You Jeremy.
not what i meant, i meant you could hear the cars instead of the announcers all the time

a few pics from that event.
both kalitta cars out of the same trailer. check out those ramps........kalitta always took corner pit spot. in pic you can see car up hill in bkg. just coming over the bridge (same spot creasy always parks today) the original two car team. again, high tech ramps. look at that beautiful grassy pit spot above the then road course berm.
pit shot is past the bridge. rigs would park end to end along the roadcourse. bleachers to the last nitro car was a hike. i believe a rookie whit bazemore
in his unpainted white FC may have been that last car at this event. i recall a grand prix tim grose car around this era too.
eddie burnout. original tower on right. high tech loudspeakers in foreground.

Attachments

• BIR_1988.jpg
    BIR_1988.jpg
    565.4 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Team transporters spotted on my way to work today on I94:
Terry McMillen
Antron Brown
Tim Wilkerson
Matt Hagen
Doug Kalitta

When Wild Horse was called Firebird, they used to pit the nitro cars behind the spectator grandstands. If you were in the top row, you could look down and see what the teams were doing. A few years later, they moved the nitro cars to "the hill" by the lake. That is one cool thing about WH, you can walk by the lake before Q starts and it's peaceful. I like to cruise thru the pits by the lake where S/S and STK are parked. What a great car show! I bet I walk a few miles just going thru the pits.

attendance at nat. events is always a topic. yesterday. entire spectator side. 2nd round of FC.

Attachments

• 2ndRndSunday.JPG
    8.5 MB · Views: 55
- margaritas in zoo friday nite were delicious. a HUGE thank you to scott palmer. best i've ever had.
- could the jet car burning pallets on saturday nite possibly top his inaugural effort from last year?......yes
- darn rain came saturday nite, just before fireworks. they lit them, but it was abbreviated. still awesome though.
- fox and nhra announcing teams were great as usual. sometimes commercials played when i'd rather listen to top end interviews, but commercials pay the bills.
- and finally after all these years.......your ticket at the gate had a seat assigned. no more giving money at gate, then again at ticket window. a huge kudos to nhra/bir for implenting
this. IMO it worked great.
- new asphalt added in pro pits. after many years, PS came back across track and had all pro and alcohol teams in one area. very nice setup.
- nothing better than ron capps holding a trophy. damn, wish i could have stayed one more nite. capps corner in zoo last nite i'm sure was just great fun.

Last edited:
on bridge going over road course in zoo. Q3 saturday. hagan and capps with chutes out. recent home and garage editions @ top end. 2nd pic, 180 degrees is the zoo.
it was so peaceful out there at this moment. everyone was up at track. place was absolutely empty.

Attachments

• IMG_5877.JPG
    IMG_5877.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_5875.JPG
    9.5 MB · Views: 29
- margaritas in zoo friday nite were delicious. a HUGE thank you to scott palmer. best i've ever had.
- could the jet car burning pallets on saturday nite possibly top his inaugural effort from last year?......yes
- darn rain came saturday nite, just before fireworks. they lit them, but it was abbreviated. still awesome though.
- fox and nhra announcing teams were great as usual. sometimes commercials played when i'd rather listen to top end interviews, but commercials pay the bills.
- and finally after all these years.......your ticket at the gate had a seat assigned. no more giving money at gate, then again at ticket window. a huge kudos to nhra/bir for implenting
this. IMO it worked great.
- new asphalt added in pro pits. after many years, PS came back across track and had all pro and alcohol teams in one area. very nice setup.
- nothing better than ron capps holding a trophy. damn, wish i could have stayed one more nite. capps corner in zoo last nite i'm sure was just great fun.
Lohnes talks to much,i k ow its his job but he could talk some less,what happened to sounds of the strip? Seems alot less this year,maybe they like to hear themselves talk??? Id like an event announcerless available and just sounds of the strip with et and mph shown,that would be great!!!

Lohnes talks to much,i k ow its his job but he could talk some less,what happened to sounds of the strip? Seems alot less this year,maybe they like to hear themselves talk??? Id like an event announcerless available and just sounds of the strip with et and mph shown,that would be great!!!
for what nhra is in the realm of tv ratings and having to pay fox to broadcast it's races, i have nothing but respect for the team of announcers both at the track and on the fox broadcasts.
there is some really great talent working for nhra. as amazing as sundays are at a nat. event, i am still dumbfounded how more of the public does not know about nhra

for what nhra is in the realm of tv ratings and having to pay fox to broadcast it's races, i have nothing but respect for the team of announcers both at the track and on the fox broadcasts.
there is some really great talent working for nhra. as amazing as sundays are at a nat. event, i am still dumbfounded how more of the public does not know about nhra
I do like having Tped for an announcer

Brainerd is AWESOME on so many levels. Where else can you bring a jet car out to the campground and do that. Where else can Scott Palmer bring out a nitro powered margarita machine belching flames and wack the throttle 8 times then party with the people like he's one of us. That's only 2 things out of the hundreds that go on up there.

The people you meet over the years. Some of these people you only see one week a year, but when you get back together, it's like seeing your brothers and sisters like you just talked to them last week. I met my best friend at BIR when our dads camped next to each other by chance back when we were 12. I would not have met my wife if not for that happening.

Most of the drivers and crew come out and hang with the people. It's not over run with fans asking for autographs and pictures, most feel it's awesome just knowing they are out there in the same circle just hanging out. Some wear team shirts, some don't. You could be hanging out back there and be shoulder to shoulder with Rahn Tobler, Jimmy Prock, or Steve Torrence just like anybody else.

I'd like to echo what Ron Capps said over the PA with Jed and all he put into that place. It's all true, and it's a shame he's gone.

Brainerd is AWESOME on so many levels. Where else can you bring a jet car out to the campground and do that. Where else can Scott Palmer bring out a nitro powered margarita machine belching flames and wack the throttle 8 times then party with the people like he's one of us. That's only 2 things out of the hundreds that go on up there.

The people you meet over the years. Some of these people you only see one week a year, but when you get back together, it's like seeing your brothers and sisters like you just talked to them last week. I met my best friend at BIR when our dads camped next to each other by chance back when we were 12. I would not have met my wife if not for that happening.

Most of the drivers and crew come out and hang with the people. It's not over run with fans asking for autographs and pictures, most feel it's awesome just knowing they are out there in the same circle just hanging out. Some wear team shirts, some don't. You could be hanging out back there and be shoulder to shoulder with Rahn Tobler, Jimmy Prock, or Steve Torrence just like anybody else.

I'd like to echo what Ron Capps said over the PA with Jed and all he put into that place. It's all true, and it's a shame he's gone.

Well said. Best race on tour without a doubt.

here are a couple really nice articles/videos about Kristi Copham and BIR........as paul mentioned, ron capps eluded to what Jed and Kristi have meant and have done to BIR,
and Kristi going forward with her extended business and racing family. It truly is a special place with special people.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back