Lucas oil makes final round appearance (1 Viewer)

StarLink Now $299

Deby

Nitro Member
[coverattach=1]TOPEKA, KS (July 6, 2009) – Lucas Oil and Barklage Racing made their first final round appearance during last weekends ADRL Hardee’s Independence Drags III at Heartland Park Topeka.

“We had quite a rollercoaster weekend,” said Barklage. “We had Rd. 2 of competition from the Martin race to do on Friday, as well as the normal race stuff for Topeka. Although we lost Rd. 2 Martin, we still felt good about how things were going.”

“We were only a couple pairs back when the rain moved in Friday,” continued Barklage. “Since we didn’t get our first qualifying session Friday night, we had it Saturday morning. Our first pass out was really shaping up to be a good one, but things went wrong at the end of the run. The engine let go and we kicked some rods. The run was pretty good at 3.94, but we had some serious damage after that one.”

With major engine damage after the first round of qualifying Saturday morning, the team was uncertain if they would make the rest of the event.

“Things were tense when we got back to our pit,” said Barklage. “With all the bad luck we’ve had the past few years, we were all afraid the black cloud was back over us. Although we knew we had a lot of work to do, we knew we had to try. I can say without a doubt I have the best crew in drag racing. Most all of our crew is part time and volunteer, but they know what they are doing. I’ve been lucky to have the same guys around for a few years now. My crew chief Chad Wilson and my dad had an older back-up motor prepared for us, but it’s a lot of work to swap out motors. My guys, Jason Hennessey, Don Itinger, and Jason Barker really came through for me. Even Don’s grandson Devon pitched in. With the hard work of my crew, and even some other teams, we were able to make the final qualifying session.”

Although Barklage and team missed the second qualifying session, their first run of 3.94 was strong enough to hang on in the No. 9 spot. With one more session left, and 10 good cars still trying to bump into the 16 car field, the team knew they had to improve their run. Not knowing how the back-up motor would respond, the team was hoping for the best. Running a very quick 3.83, 194.49 MPH, Barklage would start eliminations from the No. 4 spot.

“We needed a miracle and that is what we got,” joked Barklage. “We weren’t really sure how the back-up would respond, but it did exactly what we needed and asked.”

With the team heading into eliminations, everyone felt a renewed sense of optimism. With smooth sailing through Rd. 1 and the lowest ET of Rd. 2, team Lucas Oil was on their way to their first ever ADRL final.

“You hate to get ahead of yourself,” said Barklage. “After our first round win and then being the quickest car in the second round, we all thought perhaps this weekend could shape up to be great. We had a little bit of a shaky semi win, but at that point we were just excited to be in the finals. Although we didn’t get the event win, our team is moving beyond the past few years and making the steps we need to make to have a winning team. Making it to the finals was a major accomplishment for us and I feel so lucky to be part of such a wonderful team. I have the best sponsor with Lucas Oil and Goodyear, and the best crew, so despite being a runner-up I was on top of the world.”

Lucas Oil, Sunoco Race Fuel, and Pit Mat USA can be purchased through Lake Race Products, in Eldon, MO.

Barklage Racing would like to acknowledge Lucas Oil, Taylor Cable, Sunoco, NGK Sparkplugs, Goodson, Goodyear, Pit Mat USA, Lake Race Products, Mark Barklage Drywall, Moreland Well Drilling and Weld Wheels.

Notable

• Cody Barklage was the youngest in Pro Extreme ADRL competition this past weekend
  • Cody Barklage was the 2007 Super Chevy Show Aeromotive Fuel Systems Nitro Coupe World Champ
  • Zach Barklage was the 2007 Super Chevy Show Aeromotive Fuel Systems Nitro Coupe Runner Up
  • The team is based in Lake Ozark , Missouri.
  • The team is owned and operated by parents Mark and Cathy Barklage, and operates a large family owned large drywall company in the Ozarks area of Missouri.

Attachments

• DSB_2500.jpg
    DSB_2500.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 13
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back