Lifetime Achievement Award Big Daddy Don Garlits (1 Viewer)

I found it very interesting that Don considered Charlie Hogan (Richard's father) to be his hero and role model that motivated and inspired him.

Thanks for posting that video.
I love the way he tells a story.

There are some nice videos of Big conducting tours through his museum on youtube. Great stories there too.

In my opinion, the award should be called the NHRA Don Garlits Lifetime Achievement Award. Honor the best drag racer ever while he is still alive.

First saw him at the PDA race at OCIR. I remember vividly this grease covered dynamo prepping his car for another round way after dark in the pits. No ropes, no autographs, no smiles, just Garlits busting ass in the dark alongside the black Dodge pickup that towed his tiny trailer to all parts of the country. You could literally walk up and touch the car while he worked on it, if you were mentally impaired enough to think that was a good idea.

I am pretty certain, as time goes on, I will forget about the Tony Shumachers and Ron Capps of the drag racing world. I won't forget Big.

The cars and drivers that made the first impressions on me is what I still remember. San Fernando Drag Strip, twin engined dragsters, things like that. That's 1961-62 but still have those memories. I once saw Don Garlits at a speed shop called Wieand (sp?). their motto was Why-And, which was how you pronounced the name. Anyhoo, I went to a high school by that shop and someone came & said, Don Garlits is at the shop. So we went there, and there was a truck with an open trailer and the dragster on it. I think this was 1961?? But Garlits was already a big name and just seeing the car.... wow! Didn't see Garlits but I saw that car. Garlits has probably made the biggest impressions on me of anyone. I wish he was still racing, but... By the way, I have the same memory of Garlits at OCIR with that pick up truck and the trailer. He ran the "short car" that one year, short wheelbase, didn't go real straight but it made an impression on people.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back