Leah Wins FSS (2 Viewers)

Cliff

Nitro Member
Leah did a good job in winning FSS. She Q#1 and had low ET & Top Speed as well, 8.002 - 172.56. She ran over 170 3X and 169 was the slowest MPH. What was cool was that she raced Mark Pawuk in the final. Pawuk did make a couple of withdrawals from the luck bank, but he ran a good race in the final. Both had Dodge Challengers, so that was cool to see that.

I was rooting for her in the FSS finals and I was happy she won. But.....

Hope this question doesn't open up a can of worms. How do the other sportsman racers feel about an entry that is backed by a pro team with virtually unlimited $$$$?

I was rooting for her in the FSS finals and I was happy she won. But.....

Hope this question doesn't open up a can of worms. How do the other sportsman racers feel about an entry that is backed by a pro team with virtually unlimited $$$$?

A good question. I really like the class, but let's face it, those cars are not cheap. But having Schumacher $$$ behind you, IMO, sort of puts you on another level.

A good question. I really like the class, but let's face it, those cars are not cheap. But having Schumacher $$$ behind you, IMO, sort of puts you on another level.
I think having Kevin Helms tuning the car has a lot to do with it.

IMO once a driver turns "Pro" they should not be allowed to drive in the non pro classes. Think about the guy who has spent his life working to get to the finals in the big show then has to face a Leah, Erica or Jeg or one of the many others who "play" in the lower classes.
Who owns the car or sponsors it is one thing but to bring in pro drivers is another again IMO.

IMO once a driver turns "Pro" they should not be allowed to drive in the non pro classes. Think about the guy who has spent his life working to get to the finals in the big show then has to face a Leah, Erica or Jeg or one of the many others who "play" in the lower classes.
Who owns the car or sponsors it is one thing but to bring in pro drivers is another again IMO.

Racing in NFC has provided me the opportunity to line up with John Smith, Tommy Johnson Jr., and Cruz Pedregon, amongst other former and current "pro" drivers. I welcome their involvement in the class I participate in and hope they continue to do so.

have to agree with mike here. it's no big deal really. believe me, if leah had to drive the stripe too, i think you'd see a different story, untill she gained experience of course, but for rite now, it's head up, and she does a great job leaving and shifting, and she's got the setup.

I'm with Minick, my wife has lined up against Billy T., several of the Coughlins, Annie Whitely .... people with significant racing resources.... we love racing them. I've also had great technical conversations in the lanes with Del W, Jack Beckman, Jim Whitely, etc. They all helped me think of things in a better way, and seemed totally willing to help me out. This cross pollination is a big part of what makes the sport great.

I think almost all of the Pro racers came out of the Sportsmen ranks. I bet Leah loves racing her FSS. Ron Capps has driven alky F/C and Nostalgia F/C since becoming a Pro. Ask Jason Line about how he likes his Stock Elim car. He was runner-up in A/S class elims at Indy and he wanted to win class as much as he wanted to win Pro/S. Don Garlits started out with a flathead dragster that ran in the 12's and he thought that was pretty fast. Well, it was back in the early 50's. Oh yeah, how many Pros have come out of Junior Dragster? And just for yuks and grins, I was once The Slowest Car At Lions, 1966 Ford Falcon with a 6 cyl & "3 on the tree". Ran low 20's.... Blew the freeze plug and stuffed a paper towel in there so I could get from Lions in Wilmington back to Glendale. Arghhhh

I think almost all of the Pro racers came out of the Sportsmen ranks. I bet Leah loves racing her FSS. Ron Capps has driven alky F/C and Nostalgia F/C since becoming a Pro. Ask Jason Line about how he likes his Stock Elim car. He was runner-up in A/S class elims at Indy and he wanted to win class as much as he wanted to win Pro/S. Don Garlits started out with a flathead dragster that ran in the 12's and he thought that was pretty fast. Well, it was back in the early 50's. Oh yeah, how many Pros have come out of Junior Dragster? And just for yuks and grins, I was once The Slowest Car At Lions, 1966 Ford Falcon with a 6 cyl & "3 on the tree". Ran low 20's.... Blew the freeze plug and stuffed a paper towel in there so I could get from Lions in Wilmington back to Glendale. Arghhhh

Low 20's wow. I bracket raced a Kia Rio for a while several years ago. They used to time me with a calendar lol It's amazing how many people went red against me though waiting for my 3 hour head start

Couple of things, I love the Pro's running other cars. Whether it's Erica in Super Gas Langdon in Super Comp, or Jeggie in whatever. I also think it brings some extra attention to those classes.

Sam, if you're worried that people like Stephen Bell, Johnny Gray, or Carl Tasca don't have the resources to keep up with DSR you can relax. The field is loaded with people who are loaded so to speak.

And. Jason's Buick is a C/SA not an A/S

Alan

I can tell you anytime the "sportsman" guys beat pro driver who is pulling double duty, it is double rewarding. With that being said, dont forget about the long list of talent across the country of sportsman only guys. Not sure who I would rather have in the next round, Bob Utner, Erica, Jeg or David Rampy! FSS is on fire right now, but the multiple platforms will be a huge challenge. As Alan mentioned, the guys he listed are not behind on $, talent or hard work, they just showed up to Indy without a Dodge. If you think the back and forth on power plants the past couple of years in Pro Mod was bad, just wait to FSS equality gets in to full effect!

I can tell you anytime the "sportsman" guys beat pro driver who is pulling double duty, it is double rewarding. With that being said, dont forget about the long list of talent across the country of sportsman only guys. Not sure who I would rather have in the next round, Bob Utner, Erica, Jeg or David Rampy! FSS is on fire right now, but the multiple platforms will be a huge challenge. As Alan mentioned, the guys he listed are not behind on $, talent or hard work, they just showed up to Indy without a Dodge. If you think the back and forth on power plants the past couple of years in Pro Mod was bad, just wait to FSS equality gets in to full effect!

I can think a a long list of Sportsmen drivers I would NOT wanna line up against. Those folks are just as Pro as the Pro classes. Hmmmm...... Pro Sportsmen....

Couple of things, I love the Pro's running other cars. Whether it's Erica in Super Gas Langdon in Super Comp, or Jeggie in whatever. I also think it brings some extra attention to those classes.

Sam, if you're worried that people like Stephen Bell, Johnny Gray, or Carl Tasca don't have the resources to keep up with DSR you can relax. The field is loaded with people who are loaded so to speak.

And. Jason's Buick is a C/SA not an A/S

Alan

Thanks Alan. I was watching compplus and there was some videos of class elims. Knew Jason had a Buick & I guess I got my wires crossed. That is a fast Buick, low 10's... wow

Low 20's wow. I bracket raced a Kia Rio for a while several years ago. They used to time me with a calendar lol It's amazing how many people went red against me though waiting for my 3 hour head start

I think ET racing got started in mid 1960's. I ran at San Fernando in 1968-69 in an old beater '58 Ford, & later at Lions in different cars. The tracks used to divide the ET classes by elapsed time. Bracket 1 was the really fast cars, 9 seconds up to around 10.99, Bracket 2 was like 11.00 - 12.99, etc etc. I always ran Bracket 6, which was for the slow cars, like 15.00 - infinity. We had a good time and it was so cool just to be racing at Lions, even in a 20 second car.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back