Larry Dixon's two-seater... (1 Viewer)

nwspeedshots

Nitro Member
Anyone else hear anything about this? Nothing turns up on a Google search...

https://www.facebook.com/thedragrac...6136607594263/852351074972810/?type=3&theater
dixon.JPG

That's been going around Facebook for a few days now.

He got a little extra taste of what driving a TF car is like sometimes. I bet he didn't even get up-charged.

So what's up with Larry Dixon? Is his NHRA license still suspended? Is he operating on an IHRA license? Wonder if he has a deal w/ IHRA to make runs with the car. Drag Racing Online said the passenger loved the experience, even with some hot stuff, and would take a ride again. Article said Dixon dodged a bullet, cuz his passenger didn't sue him, or the track, or IHRA. arghh

Article said Dixon dodged a bullet, cuz his passenger didn't sue him, or the track, or IHRA. arghh

I would hope Larry is smart enough to structure his business in a way that requires passengers to sign waivers, similar to if you go skydiving, where the passenger or his family has no recourse if something goes wrong and the passenger is injured or dies. I know many years ago when I went skydiving, you basically sign your life away before putting on the gear and getting on the airplane. It is called a Liability Release, Waiver, Discharge and Covenant Not to Sue.

Gotta admit, gettin a little bit of flame makes the experience that much cooler... or hotter, or... well, you know what I mean.

What article?

From DRO.

DIXON DODGES A BULLET
larrydixon-nitrox2-2-seat-tf-dragster-sema.jpg

Larry Dixon’s “NitroX2” two-seat dragster was unveiled at the 2017 SEMA Show. (DRO file photo)

After running the note yesterday about Larry Dixon participating in the World Series of Drag Racing the Agent heard about an incident involving Dixon.

The three-time NHRA Top Fuel champion and team owner built a two-seat, legit Top Fuel nitro dragster and for a reported $10,000 you too can take a ride in said Top Fuel car. The NHRA has banned the car and suspended Larry Dixon's competition license over a problem with certification.

Last weekend at the IHRA-sanctioned U.S. 131 Dragway located in Martin, MI, Dixon had a client who wanted that E-Ticket ride. However, that unnamed person got a real “real world” Top Fuel nitro experience when he experienced an engine explosion and fire while on his ride. According to sources with direct knowledge, even though the passenger got a little burned, he suffered no injury and reportedly liked the ride so much he wants to go again.

DRO checked and was told that the IHRA was contacted prior to the incident and assured the track operator, Jason Peterson, that the track’s insurance policy covered the two-seat Top Fuel car.

The Agent is happy that there was no serious injury -- or massive lawsuits for Dixon, the track operator and IHRA parent company that would be sure to follow.

Looks to me like Dixon has burned all his bridges with NHRA. Don't expect to see him around any NHRA event in the future. No license, and I don't expect NHRA to let him have one until he finally settles up with them regarding his suspension and fine. By running the car in IHRA he obviously is rubbing it in the face of NHRA after they refused to license the car and that's a whole lot of NO GOOD. Bye Bye Larry.

I would take a ride in it in a heartbeat clean run or popping the motor, I think that i'm gonna start a go fund me page like 2 days ago....LOL

I remember back in 1971 Art Arfrons built a two seat jet powered dragster to do the same thing Larry is doing. Unfortunately the first time he ran it with a passenger they crashed and the passenger was killed. I certainly hope nothing like that ever happens with Larry and his two seater. Even though he is not running under NHRA sanction if anything were to happen it would reflect on all drag racing negatively and nhra would probably be affected in some way.

Randy, I have been thinking of all the variables in doing this venture. With your experience I would like to pick your brain a little. In T/F and F/C the car balance is critical. Also, the chassis rules are very specific in the rules surrounding the driver cage and the way the car should separate in a crash. These rules were put together using many years of both experience and smarts. Larry's car has changed the balance, added substantial weight and doubled the size of the driver capsule which are major untested changes. What do you think.

My simple thoughts are that at $10k I'm not in...you're simply staring at the back of the roll cage. If it's all about the acceleration, they could build something like used to be (or maybe still is?) down in Kissimmee FL.

Secondly, anyone know the ET/Speed on that run? Did they make it to the finish line under power?

My simple thoughts are that at $10k I'm not in...you're simply staring at the back of the roll cage. If it's all about the acceleration, they could build something like used to be (or maybe still is?) down in Kissimmee FL.

Secondly, anyone know the ET/Speed on that run? Did they make it to the finish line under power?

I wasn't watching that particular pass but later in the afternoon he made another run that was 3.70 at I believe 146, I don't remember the mph exactly. He only runs to half track.

Looks to me like Dixon has burned all his bridges with NHRA. Don't expect to see him around any NHRA event in the future. No license, and I don't expect NHRA to let him have one until he finally settles up with them regarding his suspension and fine. By running the car in IHRA he obviously is rubbing it in the face of NHRA after they refused to license the car and that's a whole lot of NO GOOD. Bye Bye Larry.
Can you blame him? NHRA apparently could not care less about anyone not on the starting line at any given time. You see any mention worth worrying about when any of our sport's heroes passed recently? Glidden, McEwen, etc barely are worth the sanctioning bodies time. So why should Larry (or you or I) care about what they think or do? I think it's funny that a sport that started out to get kids off the street has no room or tolerance for anyone that doesn't fit in their corporate box. I'll still go occasionally to see nitro cars run because I love 'em, but I don't worry about their politics, policies or points structures. I also don't ever allow myself to think NHRA cares one bit about what I think because they don't, and I'm not a former champion and one of the most popular drivers ever.

Can you blame him? NHRA apparently could not care less about anyone not on the starting line at any given time. You see any mention worth worrying about when any of our sport's heroes passed recently? Glidden, McEwen, etc barely are worth the sanctioning bodies time. So why should Larry (or you or I) care about what they think or do? I think it's funny that a sport that started out to get kids off the street has no room or tolerance for anyone that doesn't fit in their corporate box. I'll still go occasionally to see nitro cars run because I love 'em, but I don't worry about their politics, policies or points structures. I also don't ever allow myself to think NHRA cares one bit about what I think because they don't, and I'm not a former champion and one of the most popular drivers ever.
I agree that NHRA is only concerned about their bottom line, the pro classes and not the sportsman racers. If there were another organization to race with, and their isn't, many would race there. The only place to get the visibility that Larry needs to make enough money to support his idea is at a NHRA track. NHRA has rules in place for chassis, safety, etc. they are not there to cover their a!!. They are their for the safety of the drivers and spectators. When you go out of bounds and build a car that does not meet the rules you are out, as it should be. Jet cars were becoming a problem because of their speed, rules were made and they can run in exhibition with very stringent standards at NHRA tracks and attract sponsors. Other exhibition cars have rules also. Larry's car could possibly do the same if he were to sit down with the NHRA and come to rules that would allow his car to run. He would then be able to run it at NHRA sanctioned tracks the same as the jets and other exhibition cars. Also, at $10k a run he is going to have to run the car a whole bunch to be able to make any kind of profit when you look at his $$ investment. I think there are ways he can get it done but to do that he is going to have to make good with NHRA and he doesn't seem to be doing much in that area. In reality this is a Larry Dixon problem, not NHRA's. You want to swim in their pool you have to play by their rules.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back