Kudos to GM - cool new OnStar stuff! (1 Viewer)

The Counterfeiter

Nitro Member
GM anounces that selected 2009 models will be equipped with an option that will allow police to communicate with OnStar to stop a stolen vehicle. GM is weighing options that will allow the vehicle to inform the perp to steer to the side of the road. Hopefully, this will include locking the thief in the car until cops arrive. Should make for some interesting Cops video as the perp tries to break his way OUT of an Escalade - :D

I love my OnStar in my dually. My grandkids call it the world's biggest cell phone but it sure is handy when my hand-held is out of service and it's way safer than tying up one hand.

Hopefully, this will include locking the thief in the car until cops arrive. Should make for some interesting Cops video as the perp tries to break his way OUT of an Escalade - :D

I'm not sure if you are indirectly referring to the similar video clips that already exist from the "Cops" shows. The clips where the "set up" car quits running after 15 seconds of being stolen and then locks the thief inside are some of the funniest clips I have ever seen. The very best one ever has the theif yelling at the cops from INSIDE of the car "I had nottin to do with it"! :eek: The same time he had socks on his hands so he didn't leave finger prints. :rolleyes: I was rolling!!!:D

I don't currently have OnStar but I have been seriously considering it. My truck was a demo so I didn't get OnStar when I bought it. I need to review all of it's capabilities. It sold me when they unlocked my friends car after he locked the keys inside. That's a huge feature by itself.

Big Brother is watching............................. I love my onstar. Get in place that the cell doesnt work and onstar will.

Big Brother is watching............................. I love my onstar. Get in place that the cell doesnt work and onstar will.

Big Brother IS watching. A friend of mine's daughter got into an accident with a new Trailblazer. The police showed up the next day with a supoena for the OnStar Chip. Apparently the system records the last 30 minutes of telemetry for the vehicle. While the accident was clearly her fault (hit to go pedal in a panic situation instead of the binders) - there were also other citations due to what the telemetry had recorded prior to the accident. And the data from the OnStar was used against her in a lawsuit from the accident.

While I feel that the OnStar system is great to have, keep in mind that it can be used against you!

Brian, thats not new. OBD2 which came out in 96 on GM cars and trucks can do that very thing.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back