KJ kicks off qualifying in third (1 Viewer)

[coverattach=1]Pomona, Thursday: Qualifying for the final race of the 2008 POWERade Drag Racing season got underway on Thursday with a single qualifying session at the Auto Club Raceway at Pomona. Kurt Johnson and the ACDelco Cobalt Racing team got their weekend off to a great start, covering the quarter-mile in 6.670-seconds with a top speed of 207.34 mph, placing them in the third position with three attempts remaining.

Although Johnson was naturally focused on the task at hand, there was one aspect of the run that showed he was mindful of his experience at this race a year ago, when a trip into the sand-trap following a parachute failure required extensive repairs prior to Sunday’s final eliminations.

“That wasn’t a bad opening day for the ACDelco Cobalt. The track wasn’t as good as I thought it would be, and it spun the tires a bit at the hit of the throttle. It still made a pretty good run, which corrected to be a couple hundredths quicker than what we ran here in the wintertime.

“Keeping in mind what happened here last year, I did have the chutes out a little early to make sure I stopped in plenty of time. For tomorrow, we’ll calm it down a bit, trying to stay consistently fast to put ourselves in a good position for Sunday, as well as doing what we can to take home the Full Throttle Pit Crew award for the year.”

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back