Kenny Rose 1938-2008 (1 Viewer)

RacerRose

Nitro Member
I know there are some older drag racing & dirt track fans from the Mid-Atlantic region that may be familiar with my Dad. This may not belong here in this section, but I'm just letting those know. If you look at my avatar, that's my Dad from 1968 or 69.

Folks, this is tough for me to make this announcement, but my father Kenny Rose passed away this morning July 11, 2008 in his sleep at home. He was 70 years old. He had been in failing health for some time, and God decided it was time for him to come to heaven. I know I won't be able to think of everything now, but this is a great outlet for me to let people know that can celebrate his life. Those that have been around this sport for the last 30 years may know of him.

He was a former drag racer turned dirt track engine builder. His drag racing days from the mid 60's to the early 70's as a driver were with his 1955 Chevy C/Gas Modified Eliminator called The Gold Digger. Powered by an injected 426 Chrysler Hemi, he was a regular at such tracks as York US30, Mason-Dixon & 75-80 dragways. He also was the head wrench for Bob Widmeyer's 1971 D/MP Camaro & 1958 G/Gas Corvette.

When his drag racing days were done, he hooked up with sprint cars & late models. His first foray into sprint cars were with Cris Criswell, and his 1st sprint car win as an engine builder came at Lincoln in 1982. He then built engines for Frank Pruitt, along with Harry & Bobby Fletcher, Dick Kreuzburg's Toll House team getting wins with George Streaker & Daryl Gohn at Lincoln Speedway. He also built engines for Ed Naill. Many other cars throughout the years were powered by his engines due to teams selling their cars. Sal Scarpitta, Glen Worley, & Chris Hladik come to mind. One night at Lincoln, he counted 6 cars with his stuff.

His most favorite accomplishment in sprint car racing came in 1987 when Daryl Gohn gave Dad his only win at Williams Grove.

His most successful year was in 1983 when he & Dave Wilt won 13 features between Hagerstown & Winchester Speedways. Dad & Dave won track championships at Hagerstown in 1983, and Bedford in 1985 along with many feature wins. Dad's favorite accomplishments with the 2+2 came with winning the 1983 Tony Armel Memorial, and Dave's lone Late Model feature win at Hagerstown in 1988. Dave also scored 2 feature wins at Winchester in 1987 & 1989.

Dad had previously built engines for Ernie Davis, and was very helpful to to the Trenary brothers as well.

Dad still helped me with much technical advice, and was instrumental in me as an engine builder to Gerald Davis and their track championship in 1999.

I'm just thankful for everything my father ever taught me, and love him for introducing me into racing at an early age. I'll miss him so much.

Brett Rose

My thoughts are with you and your family Brett.

My Dad is my best friend, so I can only imagine how hard this is for you.

Hang in there mate!

Sorry to hear of your loss Brett. Sounds like your dad had a full and active life doing what he loved to do.

My heartfelt sympathies and thoughts go out to you and your family.

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. He sounded like an awesome dad. Prayers & thought to you & your family.

What a beautiful tribute to your Dad, Brett.

I took racing photos back in the day and fondly recall your dad's name emblazoned on the top wing of the Criswell sprint car.

Sending prayers to you and your family for the loss.

Cheryl

Sorry to hear about your loss Brett. I am not old enough to recall your dad's drag racing but as a dirt track fan I can remember much of the dirt track racing. You and I used to chat a bit over at the 4M (GRTGIRL) and I always was impressed with the relationship you had with your father and all the experiences you were able to share.

Thoughts to you and your family.

So sorry to hear about your Dad. It sounds like he got to live a pretty good life and do some really neat things. My best to you, your family and friends.

Dave

Thanks for all the kind words. Here's a scan from a November 27, 1987 copy of National Dragster advertisement from former FC racer Larry Arnold's crankshaft company. Dad used his cranks exclusively in his dirt track engines. One of the salesman Dad dealt with was Dean Westmoreland, who we never got meet, but knew he was a crewmember for several nitro teams.

Dad002.jpg

It's been about 2 1/2 years since I lost my Dad and not a day goes by that I don't think about him. Sounds like your Dad was a wonderful guy and I'm sure he'll be greatly missed. Y'all will certainly be in my thoughts and prayers.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back