Jim Dunn's new driver announced (1 Viewer)

That's great news. Big JIm gets a super major sponsor and Alex gets his dream ride of a lifetime.
After reading the article, seems like most of the family is involved in the Dunns racing business in one form or another. None of my business really, but I can't help to wonder what's up with Mike?
He must really be the black sheep of the family.

Last edited:
Will they be going in to make it out of the first round?
Most likely yes. Jim Dunn is not lacking for Knowledge. He just has had to run an extremly "frugal" operation with the resourses he has. This will be the first time in a long while that he will be able to step on it and not be worried about making the next round. Alex is going to be the first driver in a in a long time that isn't happy that he just gets to make a pass or two and has that mindset that they can "Go All The Way". I think that Jim and Jon will be more energetic and excited with this situation and step up a bunch. This could easily bump them BACK up to the next level. Dunn definately was a Player in the day.

Last edited:
In prior years they always seemed to find sponsorship for every race . Probably just enough for a race and an early exit with no hurt parts.

Most likely yes. Jim Dunn is not lacking for Knowledge. He just has had to run an extremly "frugal" operation with the resourses he has. This will be the first time in a long while that he will be able to step on it and not be worried about making the next round. Alex is going to be the first driver in a in a long time that isn't happy that he just gets to make a pass or two and has that mindset that they can "Go All The Way". I think that Jim and Jon will be more energetic and excited with this situation and step up a bunch. This could easily bump them BACK up to the next level. Dunn definately was a Player in the day.

We're assuming that Alex will be bringing - in addition to the $$ required for him to just drive the car - enough extra funding to help with the parts budget more so than they have had in recent years. We know from decades of corporate sponsorship in drag racing that the funding can vary wildly, regardless of what company name (Havoline in this case) is on the side of the car.

That's great news. Big JIm gets a super major sponsoe and Alerx gets his dream ride of a lifetime.
After reading the article, seems like most of the family is involved in the Dunns racing business in one form or another. None of my business realy, but I can't help to wonder what's up with Mike?
He must really be the black sheep of the family.
I remember reading some time ago, that Dianne Dunn is Mike's step mother, and they don't get along.

Havoline will be bringing additional funding to the team but how much? They sponsored the top fueler 7 or 8 races last season and I haven't seen anything on how many races they will have the prime billboard space on the funny car. I do see this as a win win for everyone. 👍

This has always been the explanation, as to why that team has not been competitive. Maybe its just me, but It would seem that pulling into the gate of all the races, knowing you've got 'nil' chance of winning, gets real old very fast. That team hasn't been a major player in FC since the Kinji or the 'Snickers' days which was nearly three decades ago. The team always seem to secure backing and perhaps as long as the bills get paid and everyone is enjoying themselves, the 'on track' results do not matter and is just considered icing on the cake

This has always been the explanation, as to why that team has not been competitive. Maybe its just me, but It would seem that pulling into the gate of all the races, knowing you've got 'nil' chance of winning, gets real old very fast. That team hasn't been a major player in FC since the Kinji or the 'Snickers' days which was nearly three decades ago. The team always seem to secure backing and perhaps as long as the bills get paid and everyone is enjoying themselves, the 'on track' results do not matter and is just considered icing on the cake
The Snickers deal was Ed Abel, with Mike driving and Jim tuning.

We're assuming that Alex will be bringing - in addition to the $$ required for him to just drive the car - enough extra funding to help with the parts budget more so than they have had in recent years. We know from decades of corporate sponsorship in drag racing that the funding can vary wildly, regardless of what company name (Havoline in this case) is on the side of the car.
That (Operational cost including Parts etc.) is what the Driver is paying for. It may be bringing a sponsor or cash or both. If they are commiteded to run all the races it cannot be just "one off" regional sopnsors. The only tricky part of this is clearing with all sponsors that there is no conflict of interest or Brands. Also: it is almost a given that Alex absolutely wants to be competitive and not stall his career or jepardise his deal with sponsors.

Congratulations for the new partnership with Jim Dunn and Alex Laughlin. Wish them many Wally's.

Regarding the mention of Mike and Big Jim....I respect their decisions for what they do for their relationship. However, for me, I would certainly like to see Big Jim and Mike...Father and Son...back in action together at the track. Two big names, two big competitors, two big fan bases...one big family! Their lack of relationship in the big show has been one of those "NHRA things" that's bugged me for a while. As a fan of both men I believe it would be great if they were to get back together and team up. Great storyline for NHRA, great for the fans and most of all great for Big Jim and Mike.

I'd sure as heck be buying the tee-shirt too!!! ;^)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back