Is It the Car or Driver (1 Viewer)

jpee

Nitro Member
Is it the car, or driver...here are ETs posted on the NHRA site..

"Jerry Haas Dodge Stratus R/T, Enders was the quickest, posting a 6.87 under extremely hot and humid conditions.

A total of three passes were executed to shakedown the new car. Aside from Enders' run, co-crew chief Terry Adams posted a 6.91 and team driver Shaun Carlson a 6.96. The group was using a test motor"

SC was almost 1 full Tenth slower than EE.... ya think he spun, missed his shift points... maybe they changed the car set up.. But that is a "helluva" big difference in ET for the SAME car on the SAME day...

Obviously, there are only a few people who can answer that question with any degree of true knowledge.

However, I do find it interesting that Bob Glidden was more or less able to get both cars in the show last year with Jeg & Richie doing the driving. Heck he even won a race. This year has been just the opposite, regardless of who has been turning the wrenches. I don't know Shaun Carlson & I don't know how much talent he does or doesn't have when it comes to piloting a Pro Stock Car, but the statistics simply don't weigh too much in his favor.

David Nickens says powerplants won't be a problem for the four car team. With that in mind, I'm curious to see if Erica Enders & Gene Wilson are able to out-perform Shaun over the course of the Western Swing. I won't pass judgement after just the Denver race, but following Sonoma I'll be interested to see how everyone faired.

Good luck to all of 'em. It's obvious Don Schumacher is doing everything in his power to make the DSR Pro Stock contingent stronger.

Is it the car, or driver...here are ETs posted on the NHRA site..

"Jerry Haas Dodge Stratus R/T, Enders was the quickest, posting a 6.87 under extremely hot and humid conditions.

A total of three passes were executed to shakedown the new car. Aside from Enders' run, co-crew chief Terry Adams posted a 6.91 and team driver Shaun Carlson a 6.96. The group was using a test motor"

SC was almost 1 full Tenth slower than EE.... ya think he spun, missed his shift points... maybe they changed the car set up.. But that is a "helluva" big difference in ET for the SAME car on the SAME day...

John,

Maybe I need to re-read that article and others, but I am somewhat confused about who is driving what car now at DSR. It appears that Erica is getting the newest Stratus, which was the car that she was being fitted to in St. Louis by Jerry Haas. So that means Shaun is keeping his older car, and Gene Wilson is going to be in the leased car from Kenny Koretsky which was turned into the Scott Geoffrion tribute car, right? Oh, and Richie keeps his original Stratus too. The reason I bring it up is I read that when Rickie Smith was coming over to DSR he was supposedly going to get the new car, but the scuttlebut (rumour) was Shaun didn't like that idea, and then it was reported (rumoured) that Shaun would get the new car, not Rickie, and possibly that had a bearing on his changing his mind about coming to DSR. Sorry to bring up any negative stuff as I'm sure everything to do with the DSR Mopar P/S cars is kinda touchy right now. Now I don't have a problem with Erica getting the new car, just wondered how that affects the morale of the Team. Personally, I hope all DSR's cars qualify at Denver especially since it is Mopar's race. :cool:

I agree...

But from what I read the 3 of them made "TEST" runs in the SAME car.. with vastly different ET's..

As was mentioned in the post above yours NO ONE really knows what happened or why the disparity in ETs.

Also I realize this is the New Nitromater... but I hope it don't turn into a "Love In" like Woodstock & NO I do not want to see "Bashing" etc.. but lets have people give "Honest opinions, & thoughts..

Sure the Hangman game is fun.. but I would like to see some Hard Core talk (RESPECTFUL) and thoughts here!!

Last edited:
John
If they were driving the same car with the same set up, with the same track temp and air... It just shows EE is that much of a better driver...
And he does remind me of one of my "kids"... (my real kids friend) so it ain't about looks or lifestyle.

I read that when Rickie Smith was coming over to DSR he was supposedly going to get the new car, but the scuttlebut (rumour) was Shaun didn't like that idea, and then it was reported (rumoured) that Shaun would get the new car, not Rickie, and possibly that had a bearing on his changing his mind about coming to DSR.

Keeping in mind that it's all speculation, I offer this thought in the event it's true:

Who is Shaun Carlson to "not like that idea"? What has he accomplished in Pro Stock to give him that kind of authority? If I understand what happened correctly, (and God knows I probably don't), then Shaun is driving the same car Jeg won Pomona (2) with last year. After X number of races this year with Shaun struggling, they took the car to the shop and had it 'fit' especially for him so he'd feel more comfortable. He's still struggling. Am I saying it's all Shaun's fault? No, because I don't know for sure. But if it is, in fact, the same car Jeg drove, it makes me wonder... just a little.:rolleyes:

What I do know is that it's Don Schumacher's team & Don Schumacher's car(s). I think Shaun should leave who's driving which car to the owner & worry about getting into the show and going some rounds before he starts making demands.

Now, as the post above says, it's all just a rumor that he actually said that. If it's not true, then nothing I've typed here applies.:eek:

This is ONLY A QUESTION....is it possible that Shawn is a more "accomplished driver in FWD cars?"... I'm trying to be politically correct.. I DO NOT want to "offend" anyone!

This is ONLY A QUESTION....is it possible that Shawn is a more "accomplished driver in FWD cars?"... I'm trying to be politically correct.. I DO NOT want to "offend" anyone!

John,

I don't know if he is or not, but I know there have been roughly 275 looks at this post and very few responses. If nothing else, we're going to find out what's going to be allowed and what won't.;)

I'll note that after first round of qualifying Gene's in, Erica's in & Richie's in... Shaun timed out & didn't get a run. I said I'd wait to pass final judgement until after Sonoma & I stand by that - it's still early and he may very well improve - but if this type of performance continues throughout the swing it's going to be very, very interesting.

It's a fair question I guess. But there's a lot of factors we don't know. Weather, sun on the track or cloud cover, track prep, how was the car set up for both runs, etc., etc. Don says Shaun has a seat. Why question it? Good luck to them on the swing... although I still want Jason and Greg to win every race. :D

It's a fair question I guess. But there's a lot of factors we don't know. Weather, sun on the track or cloud cover, track prep, how was the car set up for both runs, etc., etc. Don says Shaun has a seat. Why question it? Good luck to them on the swing... although I still want Jason and Greg to win every race. :D

To play devils advocate.. I would venture a good guess the track prep was the same..or VERY close to the same.. Yes there could have been cloud cover when EE ran, & sun when SC ran but that still don't = a "Tenth" Then in SC defense, the crew may have missed on the clutch set up.. tire shake etc.. we "Don't know"

As for DS saying Shawn has a ride.. yup I agree 100% its Don's $ and he can put Gomer Pyle, or Jay Leno in the seat if he wants, but if that car is not qualifing... well ..... lets wait a few races and see what transpires..

What's EE weigh? about 100lbs soakin wet? Maybe the weight difference aided the ET reduction?

She is actually not a real tiny person.But all that does is make them move weight around for optimum performance.They both still weigh 2350#But they did mention over the PA just when SC was runnin a minuet ago that his No time was due to him not being used to a new car.So he is in a new car too and not just EE.So the new car old car debate is off??

There's a session tomorrow morning at 10:30 that may be able to produce similar times if it doesn't heat up too quick. I noticed the speed seems to be down (Stevens the fastest at 193.07) on the Nickens motors compared to the top teams. I wonder if they may be down on power?

The way I read it was that Shaun is in a new car as is Erica.Shaun was supposed to have a new car for this race anyway.He was qualified,but was bumped out of the show as was Gene Wilson.I think they will both get in Saturday,although EE,Shaun and Gene will need to move up the ladder to stay safe,WJ is not qualified either,and I don't see him staying that way.

Personally,I'd like to see the "if Bob Glidden was still there" posts go away.He's gone.He may have got he ball rolling and was instrumental in getting the program on track,but it didn't work out for whatever reasons,and there are new people running the show.I'm not in any way knocking Bob,but IMHO,if he were to take over the DSR program tomorrow,I think the results would be the same.

What impresses me the most is Allen Johnson!! His 60 ft times are awesome and his Dad is making bigtime horesepower.

Im going with "ITS THE DRIVER" thats my story and im sticking to it. I really dont think this guy can drive. Its not like he was a great driver in the compact world. Now he is up against the best of the best and not making the field.

Call me a basher or what ever you will but, thats my opinion. :eek:

Im going with "ITS THE DRIVER" thats my story and im sticking to it. I really dont think this guy can drive. Its not like he was a great driver in the compact world. Now he is up against the best of the best and not making the field.

Call me a basher or what ever you will but, thats my opinion. :eek:

I acknowledge your right to your opinion but am interested in how you arrived at it. Sometimes just reading info on the internet doesn't provide the whole story though I'm not suggesting that's where your opinion was based.

In St. Louis I spoke to someone very close with the DSR team (a past world champion in Pro Stock) who told me that Shaun was a capable driver and the issue was not with him but rather with a very inconsistent, non responding car.

Hopefully that issue has been solved with the new car. As with any new car, however, it takes a period of time for the crew to get a handle on it. Sometimes that happens in a run or two and with some cars it never happens.

In St. Louis I spoke to someone very close with the DSR team (a past world champion in Pro Stock) who told me that Shaun was a capable driver and the issue was not with him but rather with a very inconsistent, non responding car.

I, too, have been critical of Shaun without necessarily knowing everything - and I've stated my opinion as such. I hope for his sake, DSR's sake & Mopar's sake what you've written here is true and he starts to show some real improvement. It's certainly not from a lack of effort on DSR's part, that's for sure.

Driving is an art that takes time to master.

-Toyse

I'll have to agree with that totally.Heck EE had almost a whole year just testing before she ever saw an event of competetion, and then had to adapt there again.At least that is what it looked like from the outside lookin in.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back