is 4 wide reason for low attendance? (1 Viewer)

R.I.P. O.C.I.R.

Nitro Member
it will be very interesting to see what race draws the crowds in vegas. 2 wide or 4. if 2 wide draws the big crowd, will the track owner go back to it?? ......not a chance

Granted I wasnt paying much attention to the size of the crowd this year but I remember last years' inaugural four wide in Vegas was really well attended and was way better than the other Spring races in previous years.

If I remember correctly, I recall reading a number of times that over the years the spring Las Vegas race has for whatever reasons not drawn nearly as well as the fall race. So it is likely not due to the four-wide format, though since last year drew so well it is kind of surprising that this year appears to have done poorly again. I believe the Charlotte four-wide still does well.

I am not a fan of the four wide, mostly because it cuts the number of passes on Sunday by the Pro cars in half. Only 3 rounds of racing instead of 4, and only 7 races per class. The day of racing is over way too quick. Two-wide racing has 4 rounds of racing and 15 races per Pro class. Much better in my opinion.

The public seems to like the four-wide when they attend, so maybe lack of advertising is to blame. We see minimal marketing for NHRA, NASCAR, and Indy Car in the LA area any more.

This was my second 4 wide and most likely my last. All the other fans I have gotten to know over the last 20 years in Vegas say the same thing. They don’t like it and may not come back. I have not missed a Vegas national event yet (38 and counting) but will break the streak next spring. I will go to either Charlotte in the fall or Norwalk next year.

I have not been a fan of four wide but I did enjoy the race this weekend. Not sure why I enjoyed it more than previous four wides I have seen in Vegas and Charlotte. Never saw a triple hole shot before, especially in the final!

Last edited:
If I remember correctly, I recall reading a number of times that over the years the spring Las Vegas race has for whatever reasons not drawn nearly as well as the fall race. So it is likely not due to the four-wide format, though since last year drew so well it is kind of surprising that this year appears to have done poorly again. I believe the Charlotte four-wide still does well.

I am not a fan of the four wide, mostly because it cuts the number of passes on Sunday by the Pro cars in half. Only 3 rounds of racing instead of 4, and only 7 races per class. The day of racing is over way too quick. Two-wide racing has 4 rounds of racing and 15 races per Pro class. Much better in my opinion.

The public seems to like the four-wide when they attend, so maybe lack of advertising is to blame. We see minimal marketing for NHRA, NASCAR, and Indy Car in the LA area any more.
You have a lot more going on in fall like div7 and Sema

I have not been a fan of four wide but I do enjoy the race this weekend. Not sure why I enjoyed it more than previous four wides I have seen in Vegas and Charlotte. Never saw a triple hole shot before, especially in the final!

I thought the racing seemed better myself. Granted I did not get to watch more than one quad in eliminations but it seemed like during qualifying there were very few quads that had only one or two cars make it to the finish line with quite a few with three cars making it down and more with all four making it to the finish line under power than I can remember.

As I wrote in another thread, the Vegas Spring event has historically not attracted a very large crowd. The Fall race historically always has. Last year the Spring race featured the first 4-Wide and it was well attended. Although I did not attend this year, it seemed as though they had a pretty good crowd from what I could see on NHRA.tv

Regarding 4-Wide, I am absolutely NOT a fan and wish that it would go away. But that inevitably will not happen because of the massive investment that Bruton Smith has made in building his mega race tracks.

Question: are any of the Charlotte races well attended? From my vantage point (my living room couch), both Charlotte races look like ghost towns.

We did not have low attendance this weekend. We had very strong attendance, so what's the point of this thread?

Alan

We did not have low attendance this weekend. We had very strong attendance, so what's the point of this thread?

Alan
Alan, how did attendance compare to last year. I have a friend that lives in Vegas and he told me that if he didn't follow Drag Racing he would not have known there was a race going on, it's like NHRA and track are taking for granet people will just show up. I think now you have to give people an incentive to come to the race, I dont think it would take that much.

Yeah, never mind that it saves the fuel teams a ton of money having 1 less run!

it will be very interesting to see what race draws the crowds in vegas. 2 wide or 4. if 2 wide draws the big crowd, will the track owner go back to it?? ......not a chance
The spring Vegas race drew crickets the years prior to the move to 4 wide. 2nd straight year with 4 wide and the crowds were strong, much higher than the 2 wide spring Vegas races had leading up to 4 wide. I am starting to see a pattern with your posts......

paul, if i am breaking any rules, please let me know, it will not happen again. as for a pattern, the top 2 threads are mine. must be some interest there.

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.png
    Screenshot_1.png
    25.1 KB · Views: 20
I love the four wides. I imagine the fall Vegas does better mostly because it is the playoffs..

Isn’t there a air show on the same weekend as the Vegas 4 wides right next to the track or is it a Air Force base? I wonder if they would do any better if they moved the date of the race.

It's Nellis USAF base -- all-day airshow featuring USAF's finest to accompany your drag racing, and it's free of charge. One of those enticing extras that Vegas throws in...

Where did you guys get the idea that the crowd was weak?

In years past, the Vegas Spring race was weak compared to the Fall race. Last year the inaugural 4-Wide was a sellout. But you have to take that with a grain of salt. Inaugural events are always bigger, because everyone wants to be part of something new and see the first one. The true comparison happens now and I was told that the attendance was up 60% over the last Spring 2-Wide event. It wasn't quite a sellout, but it was a very strong crowd.

I'm not privy to all the promotional stuff that happens, but I did hear radio adds, and see a couple of billboards while I was there. We also had the Fan Fest at New York, New York. And these days more and more advertising is shifting towards on-line and social platforms.

I know that not everyone loves the 4-Wide format, and that's fine. We have 22 2-Wide events a year built just for you. And with 4-Wide in the Spring and 2-Wide in the Fall each event has it's own personality. Same for Charlotte. 4-Wide does get a lot of new fans to come give it a look, and some of them will get hooked.

David, serious question. After seeing Bo win Pro Stock on the first ever Triple Holeshot, would it be more exciting to have him come back and race Matt one on one?

Alan

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back