Interview with Antron Brown from 2012. His first of three championship seasons to come. (1 Viewer)

StarLink Now $299

Rat

Nitro Member
The following is from my out-of-print book. I own all rights. Enjoy.

Antron Brown burst onto the scene in 1998 and by 2012 is one of the most popular drivers in the NHRA; it certainly doesn’t hurt that “Big Daddy” Don Garlits is one of his fans. He spent the first 10 seasons of his career proving how good a Pro Stock Motorcycle rider he was by collecting 16 Wins, 2 U.S. National victories, and 2 championship runner-up finishes. In 2008, he moved to Top-Fuel Dragster, a move that hardly any former Pro Stock Motorcycle riders have ever made, and he drove like he’s been in the class for years. Currently into his fourth season, he has won 16 times in the class, won the U.S. Nationals, has been a consistent championship contender, and has left first almost 70% of the time in the class, cutting lights in the .040-.070; you can’t get much better than that. As long as Antron Brown continues to drive/ride well, anything, he’s proven to be a quick adapting racer who digs down deep to try and beat anyone and everyone; something he has done a lot, so a championship will soon be his.

PK: In 2009 you were 49 points out of the top spot and finished 3rd. Under the old points system, you would of won the championship by 139 points. What are your overall feelings on the countdown and is it a good system for the NHRA?

AB: I think the countdown is good for our fans, but it takes away from the marathon that we need to have a hard earned championship. It is just brings in a different strategy.

PK: I am not a fan of good teams being told the best they can finish is 11th. Since, the NHRA resets the points at the start of the countdown to make the points race tighter, I feel that the NHRA should qualify everyone for the countdown who has run every countdown qualifying race. It would eliminate anyone getting locked out of a top ten and a top ten finish can still be a goal for everyone. Would you modify the system for teams that peak at the wrong time and get locked out of the all-important top ten when they may perform better than a locked in top ten finisher?

AB: I would take only 8 to the countdown and would only let the count down racers race each other for a true playoff feel to develop a champion. Or just race the old traditional way.

PK: What does it take to be a successful driver in this class?

AB: Team player, determination, integrity, willingness to keep learning.

PK: What is your favorite race track?

AB: I like all the race tracks on the tour. It is nice to go to all of them. It is a good challenge.

PK: You are one of the best in the class for having a really great light at any time. How do you stay so focused and what do you attribute to being the most important factor?

AB: I just feed off my team. I work and train hard to stay at a high level to be able to bring the same game at each race.

PK: Do you have any aspirations to drive in another class, or be a crew chief, or a team owner in any class, or even return to Pro Stock Motorcycle?

AB: I would be love to be a part owner or owner of a team one day when I retire from driving. That would be a huge deal for me to accomplish that. I would love to race Funny Car one day also. I love where I’m at right now.

PK: What is your private ride and does your career as a driver/rider influence any of your daily driving habits?

AB: I drive a Toyota Sequoia SUV. I love it. I just cruise around town with the sunroof open and enjoy the view. Racing every weekend makes you enjoy driving slow to see what is happening around you.

PK: What Top Fuel and Pro Stock Motorcycle win, and single run mean more to you than all the others?

AB: The Top fuel run that sticks out is racing Del Worsham at US Nationals in 2011 in the finals and beating him by a nose and bringing that race win home! Pro stock bike the win that sticks out is 2001 when we doubled up and won the All-Star race and Indy in the same weekend!

PK: Do you find yourself in awe that in such a short time, you’ve won 16 races in Top-Fuel equaling your record in Pro Stock Motorcycle?

AB: Yes I do. I’m so blessed to be a part of such a great team that is why we have had so much success in a short time. True Team Work!!

PK: What are your feelings on the sport’s decision to move to 1000 feet?

AB: It is not a decision that I liked, but it was the right decision for the safety of our sport. The speeds we run now, a lot of tracks shut down areas are not long enough so the extra 320 feet of stopping room really helps. The racing has gotten a lot closer and better for the fans.

PK: How would you feel about any of your kids having aspirations to race?

AB: I would be happy and scared at the same time, but will support them in whatever they wanted to do. That is what I really think is important for them to have is a support system to encourage them.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back