I wish I was in Norwalk, 42 Pro Mods! (1 Viewer)

Joker

Nitro Member
Can you believe that??? 42 Pro Mod's showed up. God I wish I had been there to see that.

Yep, that's one hell of a bunch of Pro Mods! Hopefully there'll be at least that number for the ADRL finals at Kennedale in October.

I love pro mods,well the supercharged 1's. Id love to have just 1 shot to drive one.

Would anyone know why Rick Distefano isnt there?

42 Pro Mods qualifying for 16 spots is outstanding. The race I attended in Edmonton had 27 I think and I thought that was about as good as it gets.

I just cant say enough how much I enjoy this class. Every bit as entertaining as the fuel class in my opinion.

Ummm...did I miss a rule revision? Last I heard on turbos in IHRA Pro Mod was that they are being considered for 2007. If true Erica better get a billet CN block, a couple 90's, and some methanol!!!

BTW...is it raining again in Norwalk?

IHRA has extended an open invitation to any event this season to 4 drivers, Annette Summer, Troy Coughlin, Mike Moran & Mike Bowman to establish a baseline for the rules should they decide to allow turbos in the future.

Annette & Vern have been testing their combo all summer & Mike Baker has been following their progress. Their combo is a 526 CI motor with 2 101mm turbos. They had plans to be at Norwalk, but obviously didn't make it. I know Annette really wanted to be ready & competitive...

So the baseline for rules would be as above & written in pencil as Annette says!! Also, should IHRA make turbos legal for 2007, NHRA/AMS will follow suit, which I know thats what Troy Coughlin has his eye on.

So the answer to the question is, no they are not legal, but a select few are invited...

I sure wish NHRA would invite more then just the same 24 cars every race! And Yes more NOS cars would be great!

Jim Halsey carrying the torch for the nitrous squad again!! We love it here in Harford County, Maryland!

On another note.....with 12 of those qualified cars being supercharged........ does anyone know what's being done about Charles Carpenter's open letter?

I don't get it

I'm having a problem trying to understand the HUGE turnout in Pro Mod over the last few races. Starting in far-away Edmonton where we had 27 show up, then on to Martin where there was another huge field (too lazy to check, but there were a lot) and now 42 at Norwalk. All these cars trying to get into a 16 car field.

I know that this is racing and one cannot apply rational thought, but how could anyone justify spending the money to get to the track, pay the crew, buy the parts, etc. when there's only a 38% chance of getting to race?

I'm glad that so many teams are doing this, but it seems to defy reason and economics. Could it have anything to do with the rumoured demise of the class in IHRA and a collective effort is underway to show racer support?

Could it have anything to do with the rumoured demise of the class in IHRA and a collective effort is underway to show racer support?

Yikes!

Rumoured demise of IHRA Pro Mod? I know of the struggle trying to level out the playing field with the blown and nitrous cars but demise of the class? I've never heard anything of this, not that I'm in the loop or anything.

Doug, would you know why Rick Distafano wasn't at Norwalk?

I'm having a problem trying to understand the HUGE turnout in Pro Mod over the last few races. Starting in far-away Edmonton where we had 27 show up, then on to Martin where there was another huge field (too lazy to check, but there were a lot) and now 42 at Norwalk. All these cars trying to get into a 16 car field.

I know that this is racing and one cannot apply rational thought, but how could anyone justify spending the money to get to the track, pay the crew, buy the parts, etc. when there's only a 38% chance of getting to race?

I'm glad that so many teams are doing this, but it seems to defy reason and economics. Could it have anything to do with the rumoured demise of the class in IHRA and a collective effort is underway to show racer support?

I am a business man, first and foremost so I understand your post entirely. Whatever the reason though, I am glad b/c behind NHRA Nitro Funny car, Pro Mod is my 2nd fav class. But I dont understand the economics of it like you stated. And I even look at which class is weaker. Right now if I had my choice of TF, FC, PS, PSB I would honestly choose TF. No disrepect to Shoe,Troxel,Kalitta,Bernstein,etc but even though TF is competitive its not as competitive as FC, PS, or even PSB right now in my opinion. I think the average person has a better shot at winning in TF right now than any other class. Funny Car, you couldnt even hardly qualify, Pro Stock you wouldnt qualify for sure, and PSB if you did you would have cut a .000 light first round to have a chance.

This is not an increase persay, over the last few years. The Rock in '03 had 58 entries. Rockingham & Norwalk in '04 & '05 had 30-40 entries at a couple races.

Norwalk is the showcase race & is usually supported well. However I do understand your reasoning, but economics do not always come into play with racers!!! I like to believe that promod is the last "professional" class where the desire to race still means something. A guy with no sponsor will still tow several hundred miles with a hope of being in that 38%.

While the nos cars are at a disadvantage this year, its still the class where a Burton Auxier who does a ton of work, paint, etc on his ride himself can come out & win a race as he did last year. Although that opportunity is much more difficult now...:(

Regarding Ricky D, the only word that I had was that he was sitting out, no reason why...

Also, regarding racer support & the response to Charles Carpenter's "state of the union" address, I can let Mike elaborate, however Charles was not at Norwalk, they were having fun at the local quick 8 race this weekend... Which I fully support!!

There isn't much to elaborate on, Brian. As stated in the letter, we just want to race, and along with that comes the fun. So we went where we thought we had a chance to actually compete in eliminations.

Unfortunately, outside of the camaraderie with our friends and the fans, there just isn't a lot of fun to be had at IHRA this season.

Mike, I thought I read that the disparity was discussed during the rain out in Toronto? Did I read that wrong?

I love ProMods....I just wish I could see more of them.
I wish the NHRA would bring back a series for them or make them a pro class.

There isn't much to elaborate on, Brian. As stated in the letter, we just want to race, and along with that comes the fun. So we went where we thought we had a chance to actually compete in eliminations.

Unfortunately, outside of the camaraderie with our friends and the fans, there just isn't a lot of fun to be had at IHRA this season.

I understand Mike. Look forward to seeing you guys at the Rock in a few weeks... That should be a FUN event!!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back