I Should Be On The Top Row At Pomona! (1 Viewer)

TopFuel@Lions

Nitro Member
In normal years when this "Rona" stuff was not the headlines and the years it was scheduled for this week end, I should be at Pomona, via Alabama, sitting in Aisle 8, row 42, seats 11 & 12 for the Winternationals. Consecutive races from 1965 thru 2012, then every 3 years after moving to the deep south. Strange start to 2021.

Back in the great era, Dad and I would have 5 to 7 races under our belts before Pomona, strange days indeed.

TopFuel@Lions
Talladega Announcer

In normal years when this "Rona" stuff was not the headlines and the years it was scheduled for this week end, I should be at Pomona, via Alabama, sitting in Aisle 8, row 42, seats 11 & 12 for the Winternationals. Consecutive races from 1965 thru 2012, then every 3 years after moving to the deep south. Strange start to 2021.

Back in the great era, Dad and I would have 5 to 7 races under our belts before Pomona, strange days indeed.

You wouldn't be there this weekend, anyhow, because NHRA won't bump heads with the Super Bowl.

TopFuel@Lions
Talladega Announcer

The last time I went to Pomona was the year Garlits won T/F, his last NHRA win. 1987??? First time I went to Pomona was 1963, for a 2 out of 3 match race for the #1 spot. The Greek VS Frantic 4 Weekly Rivero Fox Holding (who took the title). Who knows? Maybe it will come back. I had thought that if Pomona closed, the Wild Horse could hold the race, but not anymore. argh Guess it would be Vegas, which would be OK.

Cliff, you need to get out of the confines of that barren hot desert and take in some events at other venues. Since moving down here to Dixie, new venues visited have been Atlanta, Bristol, and many, many smaller strips and around 35+ oval tracks. Variety keeps things exciting and fresh. get out and travel this great land, lookin' at sand and cactus has got to get old,LOL.

TopFuel@Lions

Hey, I went to Costco last week.... heh heh We do have some circle tracks, so am looking at that. Was gonna go to Tucson for the Div race, but it got moved. BTW, if you wanna see some desert, take I-10 from Phx to Tucson (or vice versa) and it is o p e n space. Well, some hot spots like Eloy (truck stop) and Picacho Peak (a few stores) and the Ostrich Farm closer to Tucson (where you can ride in a monster truck & feed the animals). Yep.... this is why the speed limit is 75 and everyone goes 85. I've made this trip many times. If you're masochistic, Take I-10 S from Phx to I-8 and go west to Yuma. The best thing is Dateland, where they grow & ship dates. Have a little food place that sells date shakes. Oh man, those are good! Other than that....

No thanks man, to dry, to hot, to sandy, no green, to barren, to dry ugly for me. Me like it green and a culture of racing here in Dixie.

Holiday Beach has got to be the coolest little strip here in Bama. Some nice shows and good money meets even thought it is 1/8mi.

Once again Cliff, you should get your tookas out of the "Zona" and hit a national event somewhere else in the U.S.A. Going to try to hit Topeka this year.

TopFuel@Lions

Mark, do you live around Talladega? A couple of years ago Jerry Gwynn told me Darriell’s foundation sold KB’s Batman body to a Talladega resident. Would you know who it was?

I live about 50 min. from Talladega, I work (announce) right down the street, about a 1/4mi from the super speedway at the Talladega Short Track, even past by it today in my travels.

TopFuel@Lions

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back