How about Vegas (1 Viewer)

Nunz

Nitro Member
I won’t be a spoiler, but I will say overall, great racing, and more importantly, a packed house pretty much all weekend. Even when we typically see Sunday crowds fall off, as seems to be the trend nowadays, today was a full house. Considering Vegas1 is usually a lot weaker than Vegas2, it was great to see this weekend turn out so successfully with the debut of the 4 wide west.

It was great because I did well with most of my picks! :)

but...I have no idea how to score this race .... good luck PJ ! ~:)~

I live in Vegas, I was there all weekend, it was my first 4 wide race, and I had a great time. BIG crowd compared to recent Vegas 1's. I gotta say I am a fan. And based on the crowd all weekend, you would have to say the casual fan agrees.

I still don't like 4-wide racing.

Agreed.....didn't even watch the coverage. First it was 1000' racing that doesn't look like it's going back to 1320.....then it was one 4-wide freak show.....now two freak shows. The NHRA keeps pushing me further and further away.

And yet the attendance at the race grows...the fact is four wide is resonating with casual fans and I think we need to be okay with that to help grow the sport.
Completely agree Luke!! Well said ... Judging by a Saturday AND Sunday sellout, I'd say 4 wide is something ordinary fans are into.

Sorry, I have tried but I just cannot stomach it. I have been an NHRA member for over 40 years now and this circus is horrible. Of course, the drivers will never voice their real opinions in front of a camera. What is next? Why not put 4 boxers in the ring at the same time? How about 4 cage fighters? Drag racing is a shootout. They are gunslingers and it has always been one on one. If they have to have this spectacle then make it a non points earning event like it has been suggested before. Watching it I could only wonder what guys like Al Hoffman would have thought about this. 1000 ft and 4 wide....

a lot of extra time between semis and finals with 4-wide racing. IMO i don't think it plays well at all for tv. i think it would be great if attending. i really do not like
the quick turn arounds at all. i miss the days of 90 minutes or more between rounds. does nhra charge the track a fee for double track prep? (i doubt it)

Maybe it is much better in person, but on TV the 4-wide racing isn't something I find very interesting or entertaining...

First it was 1000' racing that doesn't look like it's going back to 1320.....

Other things that don't look promising include:

The return of New Coke
Dual four barrel carbs on factory cars
Polyester leisure suits dominating the fashion scene
KC Spurlock's Dilbert tie being worn on the Houston race broadcast
A successful modern rear engine funny car
Slingshot dragsters running 4s
Rickie Smith celebrating a rule change
The Edsel brand coming back from the dead

I mean, c'amon man.

Of course, the drivers will never voice their real opinions in front of a camera.

Patently false statement. JR Todd told the assembled media in his post race press conference that he did not like the format. Steve Torrance said the same thing.

Brian

Patently false statement. JR Todd told the assembled media in his post race press conference that he did not like the format. Steve Torrance said the same thing.
Brian

Lets not forget Jason Line referring to a temper tantrum as a TG15. I about fell off my couch laughing so hard at that one.

For every one racer that speaks negatively about the 4 wide there are 10 others hog-tied by the corporate cuffs. Remember, Steve Torrance is really a drag racer's drag racer. CAPCO is their company and I for one find him and his outspokenness somewhat refreshing.

The return of New Coke

I mean, c'amon man.
Brian that's hilarious! But seriously, I don't get how people expect drag racing to be exactly as it was in the 70s, or 80s, or whatever. I was with my dad as a kid at Indy in 1971, he was running in class eliminations for A/A, there had to be 12-16 A/Altereds. ONE class! Will we ever see that again? Nope. There are a million examples like that. I've said this before, drag racing has been around for over 60 years, what doesn't change over 6 decades? Yeah not all for the better, but sometimes things are just different. I'm still grateful the sport has endured through many ups and downs, and it seems to be thriving in many aspects. Everyone's entitled to an opinion, but I really believe those who boycott attending a race or watching the TV coverage are really missing out. I think we should be thankful we have a Bruton Smith who is willing to continually make huge investments into the sport. Not a lot of new tracks popping up these days...

In my opinion, I think many hardcore and/or old school drag racing fans fail to realize that the future success of the sport will depend heavily on bringing NEW fans into the sport.

The return of New Coke

I mean, c'amon man.

.....and Formula 1's return to the Nürburgring-Nordschleife.

Did anyone else notice the old tool caddy in Greg Anderson's pit that was still set up to be placed on two Dominators?

Brian
The Mater faithful dislike facts Brian ... they are stuck in the "old days" and facts spoil the drama for them and dilute their ability to speculate on things as they see them. :cool:

As always ... Great job reporting and announcing !!

Judging by a Saturday AND Sunday sellout, I'd say 4 wide is something ordinary fans are into.
Is it possible they’d have had the same crowd with only 2-wide? And as for these NHRA sellouts, do they actually turn paying customers away when most are not guaranteed a seat anyway?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back