Houston memories (1 Viewer)

BaldyLochs

Nitro Member
For a long time, the HRP race brought back unsettleing memories for me personaly, mainly because of the sudden passing of Bruce Larson's former World Champion Crew Chief, the late Maynard Yingst, while I was at the track.

But today, I watch this video and smile from ear to ear about Houston. This is awesome. In a strange twist - it's Maynard's car in the other lane......

"These guys are goin nuts......" LOL :D :D :D

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

high 4's / low 5's at upper 200's/300mph @ 1320'.........perfect.

larson would have beet kalitta to a 1000'
amato near overtook ormsby @ 1320', wasn't close at 1000'.

lead swapping is what nitro fc and tf could use more of and it
used to happen much more frequently @ lower speeds / e.t.'s

Isn't Houston also the site of Scott's first F/C win? Randy was on the crew with him. I remember watching them on TV at the end of the track, all jumping up/down. Pretty cool!

A where's Dean Skuza reference!

1997, Houston, Matco Supernationals, Dean's sponsor Matco had a Texas themed paint/wrap, he wins his first national event!!!!!

Yes, that was Scott's first (see the video in my first thread). He also was wearing a leg cast that weekend. Several years later, Connie had a terrible accident there too. Something in the rear wing supports broke at top speed, and the dragster basically came completley apart at the top end and hit everything possible. Connie was out for quite a while after that one.... that kind of set the stage for Scott to move to Top Fuel

Yes, that was Scott's first (see the video in my first thread). He also was wearing a leg cast that weekend. Several years later, Connie had a terrible accident there too. Something in the rear wing supports broke at top speed, and the dragster basically came completley apart at the top end and hit everything possible. Connie was out for quite a while after that one.... that kind of set the stage for Scott to move to Top Fuel

Connie had his accident at Houston the following year - 1990. Boi was that a nasty one. The wing collapsed and sent him into the guardrail (where an opening was) which the car shot off and flipped upside down and went across into the other lane.

Mike

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back