Great starting-line traditions after winning (1 Viewer)

StarLink Now $299

BaldyLochs

Nitro Member
Lets see........When The Texan won a race, Fuzzy Carter used to throw his Pennzoil hat for the fans to fight over. When his dad's Ford lit up the win lights, Billy Glidden used to jump what looked like 3 feet straight up in the air. Doug Kalitta wins one, and Jon Oberhofer tenses up his abs, boldly faces his brother and says "bring it on"!! (look to the right side of the photo) LOL

0740-04101

I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of that!!! Way to go Jon-O!!! The Richmond King!

Jungle Jim Liberman would drive back up the track the wrong way then jump out of the car. Seemed very cool at the time, but luckily no one was ever hurt. The funny cars back then only went 225 mph, I don't remember if the parachute was dragging behind.

Most Inspirational Winning Tradition:

When a JFR team car wins this season, John Medlen looks up to the sky and mouths "THANK YOU"....Very Subtle but when your up on the starting line you notice it!

Most Unique:

Fuzzy's TOSSING OF THE HAT TO THE FANS!!!

Most GUT WRENCHING:....

See Team Kalitta!!!

Most Descriptive of the Phrase..."WHITE MEN CAN't JUMP"

See the Glidden brothers circa early 80's....

The One Timmah's Likes the most....

WHEN GREG ANDERSON WINS...TIMMAH GETS A KISS ON THE CHEEK FROM MRS. ANDERSON!!!:D

Most Likely to keep my Chiropractor in business....

When Any Kalitta Team/KB Team Car wins, and the Technicoat Cowboy Rob comes up and gives me a HUGE OL BEAR HUG!!! THAT'S TWO BIG MO FO'S RIGHT THERE!

Most Looking forward to for the last two races....

Don Schumacher standing in the STARTERS BOX In Between TEAM CARS in the FINAL ROUND OF VEGAS AND POMONA....THEN...Todd Okahara being DRAGGED IN FRONT OF THE ESPN2 CAMERA'S and Being Shy saying..."AH SHUCKS....Having the Oakley and MTS car's in the Final is awesome...but Seeing Jack beat Gary Scelzi on a Hole shot both times RESETTING THE WORLDS RECORD, and still having Gary Win the Powerade championship is really cool BRAHHHH!!!" :cool: Then getting one of those Celebratory CIGARS FROM Mr. "THE SHOE", and CASHING IN MY WINNING Sports Book Ticket when I Take the AT LEAST 8-1 Odds on Fast Jack winning the race!!!!:eek:

I can say as a car owner that one thing a team should always keep in mind is that there is another team in the other lane that is not feeling so good and any celebration should always be mindful of that fact. It's important to be gracious in victory and even more gracious in defeat (I can't say that I've always been that way in defeat, but I'm learning to be better).

Chris,

Great thread idea. Now with you brining up Fuzzy, I will say I can never, ever get tired of seeing this celebration, what a great guy Fuzzy Carter was.... This is another one of those give you the goosebump moments :)

YouTube - Classic Drag Racing

... and high-five brother Rusty who had managed to jump as high as Billy.
At the time, it always annoyed the crap outta me that they did this since I always thought "act like you've won before". Strangely, or perhaps nostalgically, it would be great to see them celebrate a win by their dad today in that fashion again.

As hard as it is to get a win these days, I say go nuts on the starting line. They worked hard so party on!

Chris,

Great thread idea. Now with you brining up Fuzzy, I will say I can never, ever get tired of seeing this celebration, what a great guy Fuzzy Carter was.... This is another one of those give you the goosebump moments :)

I think we will have to put down eddie hill and joe amato in the record books for both having back up girls with the biggest hair

As hard as it is to get a win these days, I say go nuts on the starting line. They worked hard so party on!

Amen!!! they have had a hard year, I love the look on Dingo Daves face in that photo, no bias here haha. So many good things come from that pic of the celebration, hopefully Vegas it can be done again.

Chris,

The Eddie Hill video was absolutly Awesome to watch. Actually thinking about it, I do exactly the same thing before my burnout,,,and close the face shield down as I'm rolling thru the water box....However...........

AS I LOOKED AT THAT VIDEO, I couldn't help but see the link to ANOTHER "CLASSIC" NHRA DRAG RACING VIDEO. IT WAS FOOTAGE ON TNN OF BLAINE JOHNSON'S ACCIDENT! I'M GONNA TELL YOU, that I have not cried since I found out about Eric's Death earlier this year. I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT I CLICKED ON IT, but there was his accident....ON YOU TUBE. At the beginning, it was Steve Evan's CLASSIC intro on Sunday Morning, (I remember watching it on TNN that day), when He said..."THE DRAG RACING Sport lost a Shining light", (I will never forget those words)! I was hoping that it would be a Tribute to Blaines Life, and not what was Aired on TNN that day. I HAVE NEVER....and I REPEAT...NEVER been so upset at seeing something on Video in my life! That brought back so many emotions of that Fateful weekend, that it absolutly OVERWHELMED me! I wrote a Letter to the poster, "BUGGY1BOY" and asked him to please take down that link! Re-living that moment in 1996 was not a good thing. Seeing that crash was not a good thing....:(

Damn.
I did not notice that.
Haven't seen a replay since the day it happened.
Vowed I would not ever see it again.
My damn hands are shaking.

It is hard, very hard to watch, like both of you, I hadn't viewed it since back then on a news report, the tape of it still sits in a cupboard in my house :( that footage though with Steve at the start brings tears as does the camera man saying "holly shit" I don't even want to talk about it. I miss Blaine so much, since getting home just reading through old magazines about him, he was just the best out there, attitude, driving and the goals he wanted in life, perfect role model, and I know when I can get some funding it's who's footsteps I want to follow in. I'm half way there helping kids get an education, which was one of Blaines dreams! I'll big up myself here but I was a smart little kid in 1990 (TAD days) picking him next to GO has my favourites.

Lets remember the good times...

MySpaceTV: In Memory of Blaine Johnson by â€*ê®®¥ ¤ £èÐZëlºõHö£îÇ ¤ /X\óÞä®â€*ÿ

MySpaceTV: Blaine Johnson, Connie Kalleta by HotWheelsFan

Last edited:
PS: Sorry for the hijack Chris. But in one of those links above Blaine punching his fists in the air is fitting to the thread I guess :)

Quick quote from Rockingham 96 "Alan found something today, this car is going to be a consistent sucker"

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back