Great Bader Jr. Interview (1 Viewer)

Awesome interview, and a fantastic guy. Wish there were a heck of a lot more people like him in the world of NHRA.

I go to six-eight different tracks every year as a racer, and have been to another similar number as a fan, and you can tell immediately when the track operator gives a hoot. You can see it on the face of the people who work there, you can see it in the way they treat people, you can see it in the way they communicate with everyone when things don't go as planned. Some places the people look like zombies, just going through the motions, and other places they are smiling, eager, and most of all welcoming.

At one track we go to every year the owner of the track greets the racers on move in day (before racing begins). He's out there greeting every truck, introducing himself, shaking your hand, and welcoming you back by name. He's there every minute of the entire weekend, asking you how it's going, do you need anything, etc. They advertise effectively, and fill the stands for divisional events.

Other tracks, it seems like people are just going through the motions. The person in the ticket booth just wants your money, you never hear a word once you've paid (except "you're late" to the staging lanes), and there always seems to be something going wrong. The stands are deserted, and the racers never seem to have a good time.

Like so much in life, it seems like you get out of it what you put into it. The Baders are a prime example, and a wonderful model for the rest of the drag racing world.

Only business I have ever dealt with that cares as much about what I think and how satasfied I am as they are with my money.

If only we had more Baders

When I lived back east we raced at Norwalk fairly often all through the 80's and early 90's, including the IHRA World Nationals. Bill Sr. was definitely one of the better promoters/operators back then. It sounds like Jr. is on track to be a great one!

Yep, good article. The Bandimere's operate in similar fashion. Sporty (John Bandimere III) has teched my car, parked us when we roll in, emptied the trash can by our pit, chased down people at the Divisional office for me when my license renewal didn't show up in time, etc., etc. He could stay in the air conditioned tower, but he is out meeting people and working. Always impressed.

Also interesting, the same Bader Jr. Interview is on DRO.....the "who is stealing from who thread" pointed it out. :confused:

First, let me say that he is the FIRST guy in drag racing to acknowledge that kids don't give a rip about cars. That is the 800 pound gorilla in the room that everyone in the drag racing community is most afraid of, but won't acknowledge.

Could you image what NHRA would be like if this guy ran the show? Just sayin'.

Could you image what NHRA would be like if this guy ran the show? Just sayin'.

Bill Bader Jr. clearly has a great vision of where this sport should go and also clearly has great leadership skills as he has managed to charge up all his employees with the same commitment and energy that he displays.

His comment that the NHRA is "just a sanctioning organization, its not their job to sell tickets" is pretty telling. I guess its the nicest way to say that he doesn't have any faith in their ability to market and grow the sport, for his track he realizes he must do that all by himself.

But we're in big trouble if the actual abilities of NHRA board members is actually only up to being "sanctioning" guys, not to mention the fact that their salaries are on the level of highly successfully marketing experts, not just a bunch of clerks.

One way or another, someone like Bill Bader Jr. is going to have to end up at the head of the NHRA or its slowly going to continue to sink to the bottom.

As I've written here many times, its actually in our hands. If we banded together and forced the current board to reinstate elections for NHRA board members, Bill Bader Jr. or someone as skilled as he is could end up as the CEO of the NHRA.

This is not "pie in the sky", it could happen but it would take a majority of NHRA members banding together to get it done.

As racers, we sometimes forget the tremendous commitment of time and energy made by track owners and promoters. We help keep our tracks open and flourishing by providing a good show for the fans and by inviting new ones to join us.
Thanks to the Baders, the Bandimeres, and the countless unsung track managers who put it all together so that we can race.
Cheers,
Ed

I remember the first time we went to Norwalk. It was for an all motorcycle race. The promoter introduced my wife and I to Bill Sr, and he stepped forward and planted a kiss right on my wife's lips.

I don't know if he greeted all of the ladies like that, but it was pretty funny.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back