Future of drag racing??? (1 Viewer)

OK, everyone who likes Lectrics on this side and all the I Ain't Given Up My Gas Engines on the other side. heh heh I do see maybe some electric classes in the future, so the question is will the fans like them?

Oh boy. I can't wait for this future. Watching silent race cars going down the track. If this is the future, then there is no future for racing. Can't people understand that a HUGH part of the appeal of any car racing is the SOUND of the engines? How come even many race fans don't seem to get this?

I think there is an interest in how fast can an electric car go at the drags. Agree that no car noise is strange & most folks won't like that. To see one car make an exhibition run is OK, but if folks would see a 16 car show, it would make them realize, hey, this ain't great.

Why is this news? Admittedly, I did not read the article. But, he surpassed the 200mph barrier a year ago. Is NHRA feeling left out that it didn't happen on their watch?

Last edited:
Why is this news? Admittedly, I did not read the article, he surpassed the 200mph barrier a year ago. Is NHRA feeling left out that it didn't happen on their watch?

I saw the electric car run yesterday, and I believe it was said that he's bringing that car to the Gators for a race with Garlits. While that would be cool, as an exhibition run or match race, any more than a few runs would be a snoozefest. Nobody is trying to say this is the future of drag racing, but there can be a place for them within the sport.

OK, everyone who likes Lectrics on this side and all the I Ain't Given Up My Gas Engines on the other side. heh heh I do see maybe some electric classes in the future, so the question is will the fans like them?
I'm on the fence about electric cars. I actually wouldn't mind having one to run errands around town, but the high cost of an electric vehicle prohibits that.
It is in the future for automobiles whether we like it or not because it's shoved upon us (please, let's don't the political rabbit hole about that comment).
Drag racing or any form of auto racing, absolutely not. I'll watch exhibition runs, but that's all that interest me about electric racing cars.

The hydrogen cars didn't make a lot of noise and seemed to have a lot of fans watching them haul ass.

The hydrogen cars didn't make a lot of noise and seemed to have a lot of fans watching them haul ass.
I used to watch one at U.S. 30 Dragstrip in the early 70's. It was awesome to see something run that fast back then, but it was one car doing exhibition runs. No racing involved, plus it took forever to get it ready to run.

No noise, no interest. Only use for electric vehicles is if UPS and FedEx wanted to make their delivery trucks electric. Other than that, don't give a rats about electrification. Stopped watching Nascar Cup this year because of the stupid next gen car.

That car tried running Friday. He did a decent burnout. When he took off something in the electric drive made more smoke than the tires and it just rolled down the track.
The smell of burned wiring then blew into where we were sitting. Not a pleasant smell.
Give me tire smoke and/or burned nitro anytime.

The future of the sport? I don't think so. A place in the sport? Sure, why not? At least as exhibition vehicles. Maybe it will catch on in another generation or so - after all, people will race anything -but it will never replace IC engine cars until there's none left.
I saw the runs he made over the weekend and while it was fairly fast, for me there's nothing about it that demands your attention.

Saw footage of the Lectric car in shut down and it was bouncing all over the place. Drivers' head going up & down. Wonder if that had to do w/ the chassis?

I used to watch one at U.S. 30 Dragstrip in the early 70's. It was awesome to see something run that fast back then, but it was one car doing exhibition runs. No racing involved, plus it took forever to get it ready to run.
The Pollution Packer!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back